• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with changing my diet

N

NewGuy1

G'day,

I'm posting this to see if anyone can give me some tips on how to change my diet. My goal is to build muscle and reduce fat but I've been struggling for a while to find a good eating plan.

My problem is my body craves a lot of meat and dairy. I've cut down on sugar but find I can't seem to get rid of unwanted fat around my stomach. I work out a couple of times a week and do some cardio.

I'd like to change my diet but I always find when I cut down on meat I get hungry really quickly. Meat seems to fill me and I can't seem to find an adequate substitute that gives me energy and keeps me full. So I am assuming my diet should change but I don't know of any foods other than what I currently eat that will supply an adequate amount of energy alongside keeping me full for at least a few hours.

Can someone help me with this? Is there something I can eat other than the above that will keep me energized and full? And is there anything apart from constant cardio that will help get rid of the unwanted fat? I am early 30's, maybe my metabolism has just slowed right down.

Cheers fellas.

Hi! You'll need to post more exact details regarding your age, height, workout program, current weight and detailed diet.

Just interested to know why you think you should cut out meat? Look through previous posts on the forum- protein is not only essential to keep you feeling fuller for longer, but it is essential to help your body build muscle. Perhaps you need to look more at portion control and the cuts of meat you are consuming. Same same with dairy.

Do some research and you'll find that constant cardio isn't the key to weight loss. It's more about building muscle, which burns more energy just while you rest and looking at interval training. The days of doing hours of constant cardio to lose weight are long passed.

Last edited:
Hi BBR,

I am 32, about 5 foot 10 1/2 and weigh about 79. Not sure what my ideal weight is but I'm sure I am over it.

I have only just started weight training so I am doing basic stuff atm: focus is on arms, shoulders, stomach etc. I am training twice a week for about 40 minutes at a time.

My diet is fair: red meat, some chicken, dairy and vegies. I probably should eat more leafy greens. I do have take out now and then.

What would you recommend would be a good weekly routine to lose weight and build up the muscle. Should I focus mainly on weight training and forget the cardio?

Hi new Guy.
Some simple rules in devising an eating plan based on my experiences for fat loss.
1. Eat often, about every 3hrs
2. Eat a high protein med fat, med carbs
3. Drink plenty of water
4. Keep sugars and saturated fats to a minimum
5. Do not cheat (ok maybe once a week, but don't go overboard)
6. Stay away from processed foods. (bread, pasta, cheese etc etc)
7. Not diet related but hit the weights hard to maintain muscle mass while cutting fat.

Good Luck.

These foods are processed. I wouldtry to eat unprocessed foods, like oats, fish, potato, sweet potato, chicken, rice etc etc.

I always thought pasta was good for carbs? And cheese is good dairy?

I always thought pasta was good for carbs? And cheese is good dairy?

Not all carbs are always good.Simple carbs (white flour,sugar) etc. will give a spike and then a low.Before a boxing match or footy game pasta is fine but for long term energy needs complex carbs are the way to go.Wholemeal pasta,brown rice etc. are much better and have a lot more nutrients.

Past can be good, but make sure you get low GI varieties. Cheese is good, but stay away from 'plastic' cheese, and watch salt content. Remember, the processing of cheese is what separates the curds from the whey. And eating low-fat cottage cheese is good for protein and calcium :)

Thanks for the advice fellas. Also any comments on whether I should focus mainly on weight training and forget the cardio?

Thanks for the advice fellas. Also any comments on whether I should focus mainly on weight training and forget the cardio?

There is no reason why you can`t do both.Me personally,I don`t like "cardio training" so much but I love cycling,swimming,a jog on the beach,snowboarding etc. - anything where the bi product is cardio and fun is the focus is ok.I like a boxercize class or the like but my dodgy knee can only stand up to one session a month so I tend to steer clear altogether.
Do cardio on your off days for 2 sessions a week.
It really all depends on your motivation,likes and dislikes I suppose.

Lean meats, fish, eggs lots of green leafy vegtables or just green vegtables in general. Eat more of that and less of everything else and you can avoid being like me ;)

There is no reason why you can`t do both.Me personally,I don`t like "cardio training" so much but I love cycling,swimming,a jog on the beach,snowboarding etc. - anything where the bi product is cardio and fun is the focus is ok.I like a boxercize class or the like but my dodgy knee can only stand up to one session a month so I tend to steer clear altogether.
Do cardio on your off days for 2 sessions a week.
It really all depends on your motivation,likes and dislikes I suppose.

How many times a week should I do a weights session?

3.But again it depends on your goals.I do three because it suits me and my time schedule.Others might say every second day - 7 a fortnight,others will tell you top do a split system every day with one or two days rest.
What are your specific goals?

3.But again it depends on your goals.I do three because it suits me and my time schedule.Others might say every second day - 7 a fortnight,others will tell you top do a split system every day with one or two days rest.
What are your specific goals?

I want to build a good upper torso and lose flab from my gut.

In that case I would recommend 3 weights sessions and 2-3 cardio sessions with one or two days a week off.
Maybe try 2 cardio sessions and continue with the normal stuff like cycling,swimming etc.