• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[MartialArts] What style would you recommend

kindred

What martial art would you recommend for a fat guy like me?

I cant do sumo cause I ran out of g-strings.

It doesn't matter if you're fat now, you won't be once you get into any martial arts. I enjoy doing jiu jitsu and more recently some standup boxing/kickboxing in MMA training.

My wife says Jiu Jitsu makes you look homosexual, rolling around holding onto another man but it's generally where fights end up unless there's a clean punch to end it. Flexibility is handy but that can be worked on.

If you just want to hit things hard try kickboxing. If you're going to compete you might want to drop the body fat so you can fight smaller opponents. I'm currently aiming at dropping another 6-7kgs before I even think about fighting.

karate/tae kwon do are both good to just lose weight and such.

I used to do judo in my teens, was the NSW champ at one stage. That was ok.

But generally I don't like martial arts much. Hit up boxing, that will get you shedding the fat much quicker than the others.

I'm aiming for my first amateur fight late this year or early next year. But to be honest it probably won't ever happen.

It's just hard to make it fit. You really need to be training 6 days a week to get match fit. Not to mention all the sparring.

Id go back to boxing if i could. I really hated being the only fat guy going there I couldnt keep up with the rest of the guys :(

"It's not the style, its the fighter" dunno who said it but they made a good point. Do whatever style you like, try a few and see what suits, but when you do settle with one you gotta invest time, sweat and heart to see real results

Remember, to understand a fighting style better, especially a more traditional style you have to understand the culture behind it rather than just the sport. Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Tai and Gung Fu (Kung Fu) originated in Asian countries. Most Asians are lighter, more nimble and much more suited to the high kicks, jumps and their specific exercises to increase their strength, speed and mobility. More to the point, apart from muay thai, the others I have mentioned are heavily marketed to suck in cash for ineffective techniques often by under-qualified instructors. Seriously they can go to a martial arts store, buy their black belt, have any stripes or symbols embroided onto it and teach substandard techniques because people think a person with a black belt can fight well...especially when it comes to parents wanting their kids to learn some discipline or how to deal with bullies. A belt means nothing unless it has been earned. However unsuspecting people dont know that and cough up the training fees on demand every time.
I know I have just bashed a few styles in the face here, but I must point out I train in a traditional art however it keeps a few more if its old values (Kyokushin Karate). Look up WKF karate and kyokushin karate on youtube to see the differences and why I prefer training in the latter.

The styles that a heavier person would be better suited to would be things like Judo, jiu-jitsu (Brazilian Jiu jitsu is good fun but traditional is effective too depending on the school it may teach weapon disarms and strikes as well as grappling) If you have no intention of competing you may even consider Akido or Aki-jiujutsu.

While on that, have you ever had exposure to the fighting styles of the Philippines? Kali (sticks) Manu Manu (hand to hand) Pangamont (simplified jiu jitsu) and knives (forget what they are called) all fall under eskrimina - one of the most underrated fighting systems - all are fun and effective.

Remember that competition can ruin an art. Sport and competition does have its place in various styles. Its fun but there are more benefits to martial arts training than just fighting and getting medals to show to visitors when they come over. Most importantly try a few places out and see what you enjoy the most, thats the best way to find out what is good for you and what is not. Remember to take particular notice of the higher grades and advanced students and think to yourself "would they handle themselves in a fight?" If your not convinced, then go somewhere else.

Sorry to rabble on, but after 8 years of training in various fighting styles Ive seen many instructors who give their style and all martial arts a bad name through their incompetence and greed. I hope neither you or anyone else ever have to see what I mean.

Tim

Yu Ki Do Homepage

That one.

I used to do:

Go Kan Ryu <-- bunch of money sucking scum bags
Go Ju Ryu <-- fairly cool club i probably should have kept going :S
Kin Bushi Ryu <-- Was ok but not really for me
Tae Kwan do Jido Kwan <-- dislocated my knee and know cant squat ****kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Hap Ki Do Moo Duk Kwan <-- I dont like weapons
Boxing <-- i should have kept it up but was too soft

I would like to pick up one more martial art id want to go for something cheap. I find belonging to 2 different clubs and styles helps a lot.

Last edited:
I used to do:

Go Kan Ryu <-- bunch of money sucking scum bags

I would like to pick up one more martial art id want to go for something cheap. I find belonging to 2 different clubs and styles helps a lot.

Right and Righter!

GKR have a lot to answer for with their money grabbing ways and sales pitches. Ive heard of people who "work" for their club being brought to the edge of suicide due to not being able to make a regular income for themselves and their families while their RM's (Regional Managers) use every manipulative conman pressure tactic technique in the book to keep them teaching classes and knocking on doors to make THEM rich - not the person doing the work. Mind you Karate should not be taught for the reasons of profit either.....but often people who get into GKR are a little naive in martial arts and dont know any better. Only what these so called "expert professional instructors" tell them.

Being a part of more than one style shows your willing to learn. Many train with the arrogance of "this style is best - you dont need anything else - better to master one than be a jack of all trades" Ignore this arrogance and empty your cup to fill it with as much knowledge as you can.
As much as I dont like point sparring and NAS in particular, I like that your in a non profit club (I checked out website). Hows your grappling? Does not have to be BJJ or MMA but I think you will find traditional Jiu-Jitsu and Judo will be fun and compliment your current karate training very well. Judo is usually very cheap now and is commonplace at PCYC's and YMCA gyms. If your looking for a second style maybe rounding out your repertoire will keep you motivated to continue your training.

They are actually a break away group from GKR. As long as they stay not for proftit i dont care.

Grappling doesnt exist in their style. They are basically GKR without the money thing going on. They do similar kata and and techniques. The style of teaching is different they seem to be more open minded. They also have additional techniques.

I guess you could say its GKR if you could change it to be more like what you wanted... i.e. less business more karate.

go back to boxing man, even if you cant keep up a lot of the other guys training there will have respect for you for just being there and giving it your all, and that all its about really giving it your best shot..

I do tae-bo. Its a great cardio workout with a martial arts twist. Google Billy blanks tae-bo, hes awesome.