• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

undenatured whey protein

snookmz

I've been reading a really interesting article about whey protein, and in several studies it has been shown to increase levels of glutathione (a decrease of which is linked with Alzheimer's). Studies have also shown that mice fed on whey protein lived 35-40% longer. Amongst a range of other benefits.

However, it appears that it is key that the whey protein is not denatured (the normal high temperatures employed during processing of whey protein destroy the unique shape of the molecule). And it appears that most WPC is denatured, however WPI because of the ion exchange and filtration methods is undenatured. I'm going to try some WPI this time round:

Whey Protein Concentrate - PROTEINDIRECT ($70 for 2.5kg)

Anyone got any thoughts?

http://diabetestype2.ca/diary/research/glutathione/immunocal/Abstract-Folder.pdf

Ask Julian (owner) from Protein direct..
He's a honest upfront guy and buys from the best WPC suppliers he will have no problem in telling you how his suppliers manufacture their whey.

info@proteindirect.com.au

Keep us updated on the results...

Hi Heath,

Sorry for the late reply. All milk gets pasteurised at a temperature of at least 72Celsius and then the left over (after they make the cheese) whey gets filtered in order to obtain the whey proteins. Regardless of whether it's WPC or WPi denaturation occurs but only on a very small scale. There are also different methods of filtration (ultra filtration, micro filtration, ion-exchange etc). So you can't say WPC is denatured and WPI is not unless you know who the manufacturer is. Our WPC is not denatured as it is filtreted using low temperature filtration. This same low temperature is also called "cold filtration" by other companies.

Regards,
Julian

---
Hi Julian

Thank you for the quick response, that has cleared things up for me. I did wonder about pasteurisation. I took the liberty of posting your response on the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding - Powered by vBulletin bodybuilding Forum, lots of people have recommended your site. Keep up the good work!

Heath

Last edited:
I've been using WPC from PD for 3 years now, and i'm more than happy with it.
I know julian and he has very good ethics especially in business.

He is the type of person who aims to supply the best quality product for as cheap as possible. So even though i didn't know the answer i expect as much.

I just checked out the MyoPure site to see what it said about their WPC, as thats what i am using at the moment and I quote

"MyoPure WPC has high levels undenatured protein, high levels of BCAA's (22.4%) and is rich in serum albumin (typically 6%) and lactoferrin (typically 2%)."

So it appears that MyoPure WPC is not denatured as well.

Thanks for the input. Last time I looked they cost a few more $$ than proteindirect, I bought some eggwhite powder from them though.

As far as I'm aware. Although I must look into this 'undenatured' business more thoroughly. From what Julian said pasteurisation doesn't undenature the protein. I will look into it more and check back (when I have a break from Uni assignments).

Until then, to play it safe, it is important to get your own Jersey cow and drink directly from the teet.