• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Taking it to the next level

K

Kitty

So, I've been back lifting since around xmas and definitely notice results. I've lost 6kg and am starting to get heaps of definition. I feel I'm starting to plateau though. I work a 6 day program - chest and legs, back and bi's, shoulders and tri's each repeated twice throughout the week. I generally lift a 10 rep warm up set on each exercise and then 3 sets of between 6 & 8 then crank up the weight and do 1-2 rep max - as an example I do 37.5kg lat pull downs and 40kg seated rows for my 3x 6-8 reps. I'm really interested in getting into body sculpting or natural body building but I know I need to crank things up switch things round if I'm really going to make that fundamental change to my physique. There is just way too much info out here about training though and I'm really starting to get cofused. I can't really afford a $100 a sesh for a PT so thought I'd put my dilemma on this forum and see what others have to say. I'm 164cm and 55kg and really enjoy the weight side of exercise but find cardio hard to handle. I've got a very big natural chest (10F) and find it's just too difficult to run or do high impact exercises. ANy advice on taking things to the next level would be much appreciated

Last edited:
Hello Kitty

hello_kitty.jpg

Anyone who discloses her chest size after one post has me worried.
Whats your diet like?

And women who lift weight pretty hard rarely have large breasts.
I'm not complaining though, sounds like the perfect body.

Knew I should've edited my post after I read what u guys had to say to the girl who wanted to increase her chest size :rolleyes: What I was trying to get across is i've more slow twitch than fast twitch muscles and am a bit hampered when it comes to high intensity. I'm after productive advice so may as well be up front hey? Diet ok - I just can't do that 6 meal a day thing - like to feel empty/hungry sometimes. Have my own chooks so eggs are no prob but am lactose intolerent so whey protein out of the question. Eg dinner tonight - tofu, broccoli, mushroom and asparagus stir-fry with noodles. Would love a figure like Ava Cowan - almost the same measurements now but she looks so much more buffed (plus hers are fake)! What about creatine - took it years ago but just ended up looking bloated? A girl wouldn't want to be easily offended if she was going to post on this site, lucky I've trained at Army gyms for years;)

Hello Kitty, again...

You sound like you're progressing very well already since Xmas, well done.
What exactly is the next level for you?
Do you have specific goals?
If you have specific goals, then you can make specific plans.

A pic would be nice too :)
We all post pics around here.

I want to loose fat - 4kg?? And I want 2 put 2 inches on my guns - currently 30cm and I want to be able to do at least 10 proper chin-ups and dips (will settle with 6 to start with) and I want to have a body like Ava - can we start with that?

So you want to look like this:

To be able to do 10 bodyweight chin ups and 10 body weight dips, the best exercises to do would be dips and chins, obviously.
The best machine to do this would be the assisted dip/chin machine.
I would say to set the resistance to the level where you can get 10 reps out, then just keep reducing the assistance until you are doing bodyweight x 10 reps.

Losing 4kg of fat is easy, mostly diet will take care of that.
Simply eat a calorie deficit with a suitable macronutrien breakdown.
You don't need to eat 6 meals/day, 3 is ok.
You don't need to do intense cardio, brisk walking is ok.
I've lost 6kg in the past 6 weeks doing just this, and I'm almost 10% bodyfat now, so can't loose too much more fat anyway.

Gaining 2 inches on the arms will be the hardest part.
It's not easy to gain muscle while losing fat.
It's also not easy to gain in specific areas if your genetics don't suit.
It' will take time to build up your arms, and this will happen as your dips and chins resistance gets higher.

And to look like Ava, who knows, maybe you will.

You still taking it to the next level OP? So I guess you were in the army or where you an army brat.

i love the assisted dip machine!

im doing 3 sets of 12 at the moment, but with a little help from the weight stack ;)

hi kitty! one thing i find that really does help me move forward in training and to get out of a training rut is to do a few sessions with a personal trainer...i can do my own thing and push myself but i find a change of routine and haveing someone else push you to your limits really does help break through any plateaus :) and regarding cardio maybe i didn't read through thoroughly enough but swimming can be a great workout and also surfing so mix it up, surfing also helps develop your core and balance and you'll feel great after it. regarding your chest and cardio workouts...the best advice i'd have is to spend the money and get a really high quality sports top, i used to wear several layers for cardio but finally invested in a quaity sport top and haven't looked back :) though to be honest i hate cardio but it must be done :) have a great day and an awesome workout :-D

Gyms arent places to pick up. If you wanna mingle with the opposite sex go to a disco... um night club.

And i guess we are all wondering why there is a noticable lack of ladies in here.....
Well if ladies get offended by a bit of friendly banter like this they it's probably better they aren't around...:D

Last edited:
Well if ladies get offended by a bit of friendly banter like this they it's probably better they aren't around...:D

I think any level headed las would probably expect such comments from a bunch of guys..

And possibly the more adventurous would play along...

But on topic....

I find that mix up you routine a bit helps, try new exercises once a month to see if you find something that helps, I have only been here a short time but have tried lots of the advice i have been offered, some is great and some does not seem to work with me. i usually have one set that varies each week, ie for chest i will do db presses one week, pec dec the next, and cable x overs another.. they all do similar things but differently.

Dont be affraid to experiment a tad with the routine..and if you want one day just go skitz and do a completely different workout, do a full body work out just doing all those exercises you have wondered about.

Oh and having just been bra shopping with the rather pregnant wife, I dont evy you having to hunt around for, and having to pay the lingere shop prices for a 10F (wife is a 10FF, or 12E) But at 55kg those are some big puppies to try and control. As KAt metioned go get a decent engineer approved structure.. I know my wife was very happy when I shouted her a decent bra...althoughh getting it on was a mission.

Keep us updated.

Last edited:
Gyms arent places to pick up. If you wanna mingle with the opposite sex go to a disco... um night club.

i kinda agree i must admit, and who looks their best at the gym if you are actually there to workout? its hard enough talking to the guys at the gym when i need to use the equipment....if i talk to them will they crush me? lol - its so embarassing to stand next to them trying to lift my piddly little weights when they are doing 200kilos...! lol soooo frustrating!

sorry i know this isn't on topic but when im doing weights im really lifting the max i can and i struggle with it yet its soooo much less than what guys lift, i feel kinda stupid when i look in the mirror and the guy next to me is doing 4 times as much as me and im working my arse off- to you men i ask- does it really look as silly as i feel sometimes?