• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Eating half hour after w/o

poopoohead

I was told today that it is far better to eat a big meal of Carbs and protein within half an hour after a workout to maximise the any gains from that work out.

Im genraly not hungry at all after w/o, not for at least an hour or two
However I will eat carbs and chase good protein sources all day before a w/o. I will also have a shake within half an hour or an hour after a w/o. surly thats not lost becos my timings out?:confused:

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing.. (sorry for hijack) but are you better off eating before or after a work out (with in an hour) I find that if I don't eat within an hour before a work out I don't have much energy...

usually I eat half a chicken and some pasta salad + protein shake before a work out (hourish) then after my work out have another shake and a banana or 2 - im usually not hungry after but eat anyway.

should I be doing it the other way round? i just find I have a better work out if i eat prior...

mad me think because someone said they went from 6 meals a day back to 3 meals.. if you only eating 3 how do you fit it around you work out?

I'm only eating 3 meals/day right now.
Eat my 1st meal of the day about 2 hours before my workout.
Then I eat soon after my workout and then again about 3-4 hours after that.

My post workout meal is 50% of total calories for the day.
And then another 25% consumed 3-4 hours later.
So I have 75% of my daily calorie intake within 5 hours after my workout.

But that's me eating for current goals and everybody has their own way.

you should always eat a carb based meal within half an hour of your workout.

I just use a recovery mix. At the moment it is muscle asylum projects optimal dose - yes i know the marketing is ridiculous and the stuff is over priced, but I found it on special online for $60 so I thought I'd try it.

Shit tastes awesome and is working wonders.

its the most important meal.. along with breakfast .

once you start eating you are fine..

I was thinking the same thing.. (sorry for hijack) but are you better off eating before or after a work out (with in an hour) I find that if I don't eat within an hour before a work out I don't have much energy...

usually I eat half a chicken and some pasta salad + protein shake before a work out (hourish) then after my work out have another shake and a banana or 2 - im usually not hungry after but eat anyway.

should I be doing it the other way round? i just find I have a better work out if i eat prior...

mad me think because someone said they went from 6 meals a day back to 3 meals.. if you only eating 3 how do you fit it around you work out?

If you are training on a full stomach you wont process food as well..

I cant remmeber what it is but basically during exercise your body shifts funciton away from non essential activities at that time.. So digestion gets pushed out the door and feeding your muscles heart and brain with blood get a big tick.. Best to not eat to close to workout and not too hevay or any fats as you are going backwards.

I have my creatine and protein shake within 10 mins of finishing my workout. I usually try and time my workout so I finish 30-45mins before my next meal which is usually just chicken and vegetables.