• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Boxing vs karate (spar)

that was pretty good.

It was eastern European. Had a military official over-watching the fights too. Old footage, so makes me wonder what it was from.

But the boxers ruined the others. They weren't pro's though. Young men, late teens/early 20s.

But you could see the karate guys just couldn't compete with the power of the boxers. When they kicked it left them extended and open.

different story here though:

YouTube - Boxer vs. Kickboxer

In my opinion though they shouldn't be compared.

Boxing is a more graceful, art-like and fair sport.

While the other martial arts are not... seriously, being able to grab a blokes head and kick/knee away to your hearts content?

Or as in the link I posted just above, without getting close you can just continually kick in his knee all day.

It's a pretty dirty, weak allowance IMO.

I was wondering why anyone would take 2 different things and compare. Boxing is a sport and so is karate these days. Imagine if you would, a tennis player vs a footyball player using a badmiton shuttle trying to score through a basketball hoop... might be fun to watch but it gets rediculous after a while.

What about kickboxer v Karate?

It would all come down to the individuals in the fight, One style generally is not better than the other, but all styles have their strengths and weakness' Thats why there is huge momentum in Mixed martial arts.

Learning different styles really helps to enhance you fighting abilities.

Boxer vs kickboxer karate etc, all things equall I would put money on the guy that has more weapons,... the kickboxer, the boxer tends to be very vulnerable in the legs as he hasnt conditioned them to be mashed by thigh kicks. You may not get in is guard but the house will come down once the supports are trashed, legs also have a much greater range at leg and mid section height.

Kickboxer vs karate, thats a tough one but again the kick boxer is more conditioned to the bigger hits, and once you get some one in a grapple you can inflict big damage and lots of nasty close hits, elbows knees head buts, etc,

I Have trained in Karate, and the club would do kickboxing nights, go to the local boxing club for a few weeks and swap training ideas, we also had a few jujitsu lessons, but the same club also did muay tai kickboxing. There is so much more emphisis on power, and the techniques are very different, I have also done a bit of Tae kwon do mainly because I loved the legs stuff, Again quite different, and more challenging technique wise.

So I am a mixed bag really, I also went to a few kung foo classes also with a mate, and hated it, or maybe just how it was taught.

As mentioned in the end it comes down to who is better at their chosen style, and how bad they want it, and never underestimate fitness I have seen it win lots of fights.

Last edited:
Yeah, gotta agree with ya Trofius. I can't stand it when people start sizing up how one style is inferior or superior to another style. I respect all arts but some arts generally have a strength over others because of what they focus on and how they train.

Like you say, you got to look at what each style offers and most importantly the training quality of the instructor.

In my learning and experience, you have to cover striking and grappling in some shape or form and joint locks come in handy too. Like you say must be in good shape to sustain hits and must pressure test everything you learn and keep an open mind!

But the fact is they are all dirty and low-tactic sports compared to boxing.

Says you.In Western countries stand up fisty cuffs was the only gentlemanly way of fighting once upon a time but I would safely guess that this never,ever was the case in many other countries so who decided what`s dirty and what isn`t?
As for the videos,take them all with a grain of salt `casue we have no idea who tho boxers and martial artists are and what skill level/experience they have.
Japanese K1 should be taken with a truckload of salt as many consider it to be the pro wrestling of fighting sports - purely a spectator event.A crowd favourite, especially if he is Japanese, will usually get a washed up boxer to fight.
I also hate the pissing contest that starts every time someone wants to talk fighting sports.It`s apples and oranges.

But the fact is they are all dirty and low-tactic sports compared to boxing.

Its not the style that is dirty and low tactic, it is the competetors, and how a bout is ruled.

Even boxing can be dirty if the boxer wants to have a few low blows, sneak in an elbow or head here or there...

I still dont agree with boxers fighting kicking style martial arts, unless there are some rules and regulations inplace to protect each oponant, such as no kicking the boxer below the waist, that way both parties know before hand what is coming, and what they ghave trained to defend against.

Even some kicking styles have rules that rule out the use of knees, headbuts, elbows, and grapling so in experienced people or people not previously exposed to such weapons , isnt going to get a surprise that could potentially seriously harm them.

These fights are organised for silly folk that want to say this style is better than yours blah blah. If someone wants to fight a different style join a MMA organisation.

lol

nah I personally prefer boxing.

But as I stated above, the different sports shouldn't be compared.

I remember when I was at home nightclub one night in sydney. about 5 or 6 yrs ago when I was 18.

These two dudes starting pushing and shoving over something, one of them claimed to know tae kwon do and said he was going to kick the other guys arse blah blah blah - he was really full of him self haha.

The other bloke didn't say anything, just cleaned him up with one straight right to the jaw. The other bloke was out cold.

hahaha, was so funny.

Says you.In Western countries stand up fisty cuffs was the only gentlemanly way of fighting once upon a time but I would safely guess that this never,ever was the case in many other countries so who decided what`s dirty and what isn`t?
As for the videos,take them all with a grain of salt `casue we have no idea who tho boxers and martial artists are and what skill level/experience they have.
Japanese K1 should be taken with a truckload of salt as many consider it to be the pro wrestling of fighting sports - purely a spectator event.A crowd favourite, especially if he is Japanese, will usually get a washed up boxer to fight.
I also hate the pissing contest that starts every time someone wants to talk fighting sports.It`s apples and oranges.

not true savate has been around for ages and its western :p