• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Plain cottage cheese is boring...... what to add?

The Hulk

Active Member, Site Advertiser
How do you eat your cottage cheese?

For the first week (started new diet 2 weeks ago), it was plain from the tub.
Last night I added a small tin of tuna to the tub, just for convenience and to make it quicker.
I was pleasantly suplised that the whole thing ended up tasting like smooth tuna and went down easy.
Ate it in about half the time it took me to slam down a plain big tub, which gets kind of boring.

Now I'm gonna try some other stuff in it next time.
Gonna go for the chilli sardines next time.

Anybody have any other ingredients which makes cottage cheese enjoyable to eat?

I don't think this is going to answer your question, because I think you are trying to down it just before bed. But I have replaced ricotta with cottage cheese, so for example if I make a lasagne I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Cottage cheese is also great on sandwiches and toast.

Also a good substitution I recently made was to replace mayonnaise with natural yoghurt. For an evening treat I mix natural yoghurt with a little bit of jam. So you might want to try mixing cottage cheese with some jam?

I've heard other people putting sweet stuff in their cottage cheese and liking it.
It's like cottage cheese is just like a base, and add your own flavours.
Not too much cheese taste about it.

I tried cottage cheese on bread under the griller, hoping it would go nice and brown on top, bad result, just went soggy.

Same with putting it in the microwave, hoping it would go nice and smooth and maybe a bit stringy, but just went like soup.

I reckon some nice hot and spicy ground beef would go well with it.

Try taking it into the bedroom to spice up your love life, instead of whipped cream use cottage cheese!

this may sound weird but add diet jelly , any flavour taste is the bomb!

I added some chopped up chicken breast, makes it good for me.

Just can't get myself to add sweet stuff to it, maybe one day.

Add a bit of chopped shallots or spring onion and use it as a topping.
Good on spuds in the jacket.
Or mix it with mashed spuds.
I also like it with chopped dried apricots and sultanas on bread
and put under the grill.

What is so good about cottage cheese?
looking at the breakdown nothing really stands out 5g protein /40g?

What is so good about cottage cheese?
looking at the breakdown nothing really stands out 5g protein /40g?

For low fat cottage cheese 100g has about:
11g Protein, 6g carbs and 2.3g fat.
So eating a 500g tub makes up the majority of a good before bed meal.

Contains Casein protein, which is a slow digesting protein, so good for before bed meal.

You can eat meat and eggs too.

On the back of my dairy farmers tub is 12.5/100 g of protein. It is meant to be a good slow-release protein to have overnight. It is relatively low in kilojoules as well. I would recommend going for a low fat and low sodium variety (the dairy farmers low-fat cottage cheese seems to be the lowest sodium I can find).

Anyway, I'm not sure of the science behind the theory of quick release/slow-release proteins, but every body building magazine you'll read repeats this ad nauseam (in between ads selling whey protein and casein protein supplements).

Hulk: how could you possibly eat 500 g of cottage cheese before bed? *vomit*.

Snooks,

I usually have a slightly smaller 350g tub with a small tin of tuna mixed in, as part of my before bed meal.

ok thanks for that, the wife buys weight watchers stuff, so I have per 100g
12.5g protein
2.5g fat
3.8g carbs
390mg sodium
101mg calcium
381kj

I have a late night shake before bed.

I put Quark Cottage Cheese in. Do a search...you can usually get it at Organic stores.

It sweetens my unflavoured whey and rice milk.

But it also has the slow release.

I must admit the whole "don't eat chesse before bed because it gives you nightmares" may just be true...I have been having some psychedelic dreams of late.

I have tried it but really dont like the taste of it, perhaps adding some fruit like berries might be able to make it a little more appetizing.

Home brand is the best and so much cheaper, comes in 500g tubs.

Throw in a small low fat flavored tuna can and mix it around, you will be surprised.

In the mornings ive been making cottage cheese and smooth peanut butter on toast, its awesome