• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does Glutamine live up to the hype?

Enceladus

Hi all. Just joined the forum.

I like to research supplements before I buy them and found some interesting information on the AIS website about Glutamine.( I can't paste the URL because this site doesn't allow it until I lodge 15 or more posts :mad: ) You can find the reports by googling Australian Institute of Sport then going to the Nutrition link, then Supplements link, then Supplement resources, then Supplement research summaries.

I have read and heard that Glutamine is used as a recovery supplement. Interestingly the AIS findings show it has no impact on performance increase.
AIS blows holes in some other supplements too.

I don't take Glutamine as a separate supplement. I find that everything from carb supplements to protein blends include Glutamine.

Wondering what your thoughts about the AIS findings are.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, it is uncommon for people to do research outside of marketing material ;-)

I will search for the article, thank you for the heads up.

Glutamine has not been conclusively proven to help healthy and able bodied people to either increase or maintain muscle mass. Only proven to help people in serious conditions like late stage sufferers of cancer.

D D D DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE!

They also have Tribulus as a banned substance so go figure. I have the AIS supplement download at home here. They also list BCAA as having no scientific value. Go figure. Glutamine can be used for post recovery drinks. Have 5 grams in a shake.
AZZA

I personally believe that glutamine should be part of your bodybuilding staples as well as your protein, creatine and bcaa's.

I rekon it all comes back to your diet, from what I've gathered glutamine is not an essential amino, so your body makes it already. If your eating right for your training then wouldn't there be enough? maybe AIS didn't give props to it since they already cover it in their athlete's food? saves money...