• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best supplements for muscle gain?

L

LMS09

Can anyone tell me a few of the best supplements to help with muscle gain?... i had a look at a few sites but dont really know what does what.
cheers

- Creatine (HPLC tested)
- Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) or a protein blend that has a high concentration of WPI rather than a high value of Weigh Protein Concentrate (WPC)
- A carbohydrate supplement like Waxy Maize

Apart from these three, I recommend to review your diet and ensure you eat 6-7 small meals a day, drink 3-4 litres of water a day, and ensure you get enough food-sourced protein, fibre, and minerals.
Food is the best for growth. Just look at drawings and sculptures of the ancient Spartans and the Roman Army. Big dudes and supplements weren't around back then. In those days they just ate great food. The Roman army especially were conscious of how food quality affected a soldier's performance on the battlefield and on his morale between battles, so don't neglect the basics of life.

The ancient Greeks also had sex with young boys, so just bear in mind it is important to pick only the good things from an era.

And:

Just look at drawings and sculptures of the ancient Spartans and the Roman Army. Big dudes and supplements weren't around back then. In those days they just ate great food.

Then why do you suggest eating 6-7 times per day?
These soldiers surely weren't doint that.
They would likely have been on a diet similar to the Warrior diet, big feast at night.

- Creatine (HPLC tested)
- Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) or a protein blend that has a high concentration of WPI rather than a high value of Weigh Protein Concentrate (WPC)
the extra cost for WPI is not worth the benefit for some one looking to bulk up. WPC is fine, it's about 80% protein rather than 90+% but who cares, a few extra grams of carbs won't matter.

And:

Just look at drawings and sculptures of the ancient Spartans and the Roman Army. Big dudes and supplements weren't around back then. In those days they just ate great food.

They would likely have been on a diet similar to the Warrior diet, big feast at night.

It has been proven that back in those ages the average height for a male was between 4 and 5 foot. The sculptures and drawings were to scale, but enlarged a fair bit.

With that in mind, they would have been VERY lean, albeit strong.

So IRL those people portrayed in the sculptures and drawings would have been more like kostya tszyu or manny pacquiao's size. The larger guys would have been like Danny Green.

The myths and war stories of people who were as big as a horse or ten foot tall etc etc etc really would have only been about 6 foot or so.

Hulk you're about 6'2 or something aren't you? You would have been a goliath back then if you were the size you are now.

And:

People can eat 3, 5, 6, or 7 meals a day. It depends on your metabolism how that food is used.
I suggested 6-7 smaller meals a day because in 2009, western society is in a position to eat more regularly, and through education and research, we know that eating smaller portions more frequently is a good way to maintain nutrition and health.
I should point out too that the life expectancy in ancient times was half what it is today in developed countries. Not only because of war, but more so due to inadequate nutrition, and disease. My similie of the Spartans and Romans was to illustrate that you can build muscle (not pro body building size) without excessive or even any supplements, provided you have your diet sorted out.

Yes, I agree that you don't need supplements to build a great body.
People waste so much money and time on supplements thinking it's like a magic pill.

Still don't like people thinking they have to eat 6-7 meals per day though.

Hey was wondering what people's opinions were of carbs in protein supps?
I'm only really starting out and quite slim - i've been told that having plenty of carbs will help gain muscle (although i understand it'll cause unwanted fat gain as well). Buying protein powders with carbs in them though actually make it pretty expensive when you factor in $ per gram of protein.

Was thinking just buy a normal %70 WPC and put a couple of teaspoons of sugar?

Why not eat quality carbs rather than drinking sugar.
Some examples are:
- Oats
- Rice (I prefer basmati for taste and really low GI)
- Sweet Potato
- Pasta
- Broccoli
These are a lot cheaper than buying weight gainers with carbs in them and will do the job, but def go with the WPC for a shake

Last edited:
Add oats and peanut butter to your WPC shake for that extra carb and calorie boost. Works out lts cheaper than buying weight gainers with cheap fillers.

My current supp's are Flax seed oil, wpi/wpc bend powder, dextrose & maltadextrin blend & spirilina. I will be buying some creatine monohydrate this weeked and when the spirilina runs out I will go back to a good multi vit. I also drink gatorade while working out. After my workouts I mix 2 scoops of protein powder, 2 table spoons of dextrose/maltadextrin with 500ml water.
For breakfast I use 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil on my tropical muslie which also has 300ml of milk mixed with 1 & 1/2 scoop of protein powder.
Hope this helps

recently just bought 2.5kg of wpi, when i am at work i take my shaker with 2 tble spoons wpi and 2 tble spoons of milo, carbs plus flavour added..at work i have 3L of skim milk, I add about 500ml.. I guess that is giving me 50+g of protein, I also eat a banana at the same time.

When at home I add the banana and frozen mixed berries to my wpi and blend it...

One product that may assist gain is the: Musashi Creatine Recovery Stack.
Is has Creatine, L-Glutamine, BCAA's, Taurine, HMB and even dextrose all in one.
Great for muscle and strength gains. Highly recomended.
Don't forget to take protein too.

One product that may assist gain is the: Musashi Creatine Recovery Stack.
Is has Creatine, L-Glutamine, BCAA's, Taurine, HMB and even dextrose all in one.
Great for muscle and strength gains. Highly recomended.
Don't forget to take protein too.
Watse of cash.
HMB is useless - it has never been proven.
Creatine you can buy dirt cheap on its own, same with the BCAA's and dextrose is about 2 bux per kg.
Once again Musashi failed.

i like their protein bars though, the 27g protein ones, not the 40g ones. they taste like a cock lollypop.

question: whats a good cheap(est) protein bar - that tastes reasonable?
can buy in bulk if nec.