• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

bicarbonate

snookmz

I have read a few articles recently about supplementation of bicarbonate (like bicarbonate soda) that can help increase your intensity in the gym. Something to do with blood pH levels, offsetting all the amino acids taken through diet. Gains of up to 20% in intensity have been reported.

Anybody used it, or have any thoughts?

They always think of something new to try to steal your money, don't they?

They certainly do, and when they run out of ideas, they just recycle the old shit again.

Although, bicarb is pretty cheap, so doesn't seem like a scam in this case.

Never used it and never thought about it either.
Can you post an article please?

I originally came across this research in a 'health and fitness' textbook from the university library, and again today in 'Australian ironman' magazine. The ironman article references several studies (I can't seem to get the ironman article online):

I've searched for the journal articles, but as the articles are actually quite old (early 90s) I can't seem to get a hold of them. There are a few articles banging around online, here is one I found:

Muscle Burning: Reduce with Baking Soda?

They always think of something new to try to steal your money, don't they?

I will get you a good deal on home brand bicarbonate soda, I will even buy it for you (I will steal the $2 from my son's piggy bank).

It is a common household product, it is used in some bread-based food and also as a cleaning agent. You probably have some lying around the house. I certainly wouldn't recommend it on the basis of my current reading, but it is interesting and worth further research.

As with the lot of these things, on paper it makes sense and a couple of studies might back it up, but the body is amazingly complex and although it might flick a switch on in one area (that increases exercise endurance) it might flick a few off in another.

Again I see another mention of bicarbonate soda, this time at a lecture at the annual meeting of the 'International Society of sports nutrition' in the USA. Here's an excerpt:

"Sodium bicarbonate - baking soda - may provide ergogenic effect if you take it one to two hours before competition at a dose of 0.3 g per kilogram of body weight."

I am a little scared to try this, as it is meant to cause gastrointestinal upset if you take to larger dose at once. Understandable, ever added sodium bicarbonate to vinegar (which is acidic)?

Eating citrus fruit will drop the pH level of the body. Its starts as acidic but when it is processed by the digestive system it makes an alkaline substance. Tastes better then bicarb soda :p