• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

help with diet..plateau bigtime!

M

MELSKI3

Hi there, hope you guys can help with a bit of advice. I've been training and following a low carb diet (1400-1700 cals/one cheat day p/w) consistently for about 10 months, and have lost about 4kgs on the scale,but gone down heaps in measurements due to muscle gains. This is largely due to a great personal trainer that i had, who was training me twice a week and then i did cardio for bout 3-4 times p/w. Usually 25mins interval running after the weights and 2 times 40mins cardio on the other days. The prob now is i had to cut the training sessions(recession!) and im still training and following the basic guidelines she taught me, but the scale won't move. Im not losing or gaining..i dont know how to break out of this rut, and am getting very frustrated! ATM i am 68kgs/175cm/bf(according to my dodgy scales) is 27%. I would like to get to bout 58-60kgs and 17-18% body fat. Is that realistic? and what do i have to do to get there..any ideas would be really appreciated!:)

I'm confused :confused:. You lost 4kg in 10 months and your PT did a great job? I think not because you are still have 28% BF. I cannot help because i do not know what you are currently eating and what specifically you are doing for your training.
But I can say that being on a low carb diet for so long you body has adjusted to that type of diet.
CARBS ARE NOT YOUR ENEMY, SATURATED AND TRANS FATS ARE. :eek:
Sorry I had to get that out.

Post up your diet, training and a pic, that will help us.:)

Yes, pics are very helpful for us to be able to find a solution to your problem.

Once we can see your bodytype from your pic, we can provide suitable advice to enhance your results from training and diet.

Later, you can provide progress pics to show off what a great change you have made.

You will be very proud of yourself :)

Guys, remember that Melski is female. When I was loosing weight following a strict low-carb diet and mainly lifting, the scales didn't shift much, but measurements dropped HEAPS. Still rely on measurements to this day, as weight can vary by up tp 5kg day to day.

Things to look out for Melski- has your routine become stale? Are you in a diet rut i.e. no variety. Other thing is are you eating enough for the amount of activity you are doing? I went through a stage of eating only 1300 cal per day and training twice a day six days a week. Ending up gaining weight and body fat.

Thanks Bree, i was beginning to get a bit down bout the scales. think the best thing is to throw them out!:) I have heard that measurements are the best way to go, and my old size 10 clothes are close to fitting well, so i am definitely changing shape in a positive way, as i used to be a 14 in clothes. I have been realising that i probably need to really push myself a bit harder with the training and mix it up a bit, which is a bit easier to do when there is a p/t to do it for you..
i will post my diet and exercise plan that ive been doing for you guys to pick apart(be nice!)

Ok, this is what i generally eat in a day. The diet was devised by the p/t who also has qualifications in nutrition. She asked me a bunch of questions and deducted that i was a 'carb type' and that i need to combine my foods in a specific way, as egs shows below.

I have also included what i'm doing training wise so far, been doing this program for bout a month, so i know its time to change it up. Any suggestions? Its a bit of a long post, so read it if you can be bothered!

Eating - approx 1400 cals

Breakfast
½ cup rolled oats(raw)
or natural muesli
½ lowfat soymilk w/ scoop protein powder
½ cup berries/or banana

or a smoothie with banana/scoops protein/LSA/1cup soymilk

Mid morning
2 rice cakes/vita weets with thin spread avocado and 20g cheese or turkey
or 200g yoghurt and handful nuts(if I don’t have the LSA in morning)

Lunch
2 rye wraps: 100g chicken/tuna and hommus,salad,1/8 avocado
or in a roll instead of wraps.

Mid Arvo tea
2 rice cakes with avo and turkey
or piece of fruit and handful of almonds(if not already had nuts today)

Dinner
150-200g protein: usually chicken/pork fillet or steak
green salad with cucumber/capscicum/toms/a little shaved parmesan
1tab olive oil with basalmic vinegar for dressing.

Evening(if still hungry..)
Small tub of yoghurt

Training: 4 days per week. Cardio is done immediately after the training to keep heart rate raised.

Days 1 and 3: Back/chest/bicep + tricep (circuit style with limited rest between reps and sets)

Vertical traction machine 3x12reps/ lifting:32/35/40kg
Push ups(full body) 3x10reps

Seated row 2x12reps/ lift:50/60kg
DB bicep curls 2x12/ lift: 10kg

Fitball DB chest press 3x12reps/ lift: 8kg
Tricep press(using bodyweight) 3x10reps

Cardio: Interval run/20-25mins

Days 2 and 4: Legs/shoulders/abs

45 degree leg press 2x12 reps/ lift:60/70kg
Single leg lunge with db 2x12/ lift:7kg

Squat with bicurl and press 2x10/ 6kg
Fitball db side lat raises 2x12/4kg

Ballet Squats(6 partial/6 normal) 2x12/ 15kg
Db Rear Delts 2x12/ 15kg

Cardio: 20mins interval run/bike

Day 5 or 6: Additional cardio,40mins. 20mins@moderate and other 20 as intervals.

yeah, im pretty green too! i think it's time to up the weights. I probably had a bit of a feeling that this needed to be done, but just wanted to see what others input were before making decisions. Bit of trial and error i guess!:)

I would stop the circuit style training and stick the regular weight training. This will give you more of an anaerobic workout rather than an aerobic workout leading the greater muscle gains.

IMHO I think that you could probably lift heavier weights, especially if you are only doing 10-12 reps. Women tend to underestimate their own strength. If your trainer is worth her $$$, question her about form. Good trainers are more concerned with form and ensuring that their clients have the ability to exercise safely unsupervised rather than ensuring that their clients are forever dependant on their presence.

My pet hate is lat raises and one of the most commonly completed exercises by women! It works such a small part of the body, and generally a part of the body women don't want/need to build. Better off looking for an exercise that works more of the body rather than one section. Same rule for bicep curls.

ok, i am doing exercises that work multiple body parts(no circuits!),upping the the reps(15) and sets(3) as well as consciously lifting heavier and really watching what i eat this week, so i hope all of this combined will break me out of the plateau! thanks for all the advice guys.