• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When is the best time to take protein powder?

M

mkj

So I just wanted to ask when is the best time to take the different types of protein powders.

My partner and I are currently taking ON 100% Gold Standard which is a WPI. The advice given to me from the supplement store was to take it straight after training. Is this when we should be taking it?

I know that casein proteins should be taken before bed as they are released at a slower rate and prevent the body from going into a catabolic state overnight.

But what about the WPC protein powders? When should they be taken? And do you think that it is beneficial taking all three types of protein?

I have 3 serves of protein, 1 with breakfast, 1 midmorning and 1 after ecercise around 4pm ish (I take the 3rd around the same tine on non exercise days too)
I use soy or whey, whichever is cheap. I've not tried the casien yet, as I don't like eating/drinking befor bed. Silly I know but still....

So I just wanted to ask when is the best time to take the different types of protein powders.

My partner and I are currently taking ON 100% Gold Standard which is a WPI. The advice given to me from the supplement store was to take it straight after training. Is this when we should be taking it?

I know that casein proteins should be taken before bed as they are released at a slower rate and prevent the body from going into a catabolic state overnight.

But what about the WPC protein powders? When should they be taken? And do you think that it is beneficial taking all three types of protein?
You are sadly mistaken if you think ON Whey is WPI. It's a blend of WPI and WPC, looks like their marketing ploy claimed another victim.

Some companys are using blends as the cheaper isolates eg concentrates are cheaper than isolates. You need to either buy a brand that advertises what the ratios are so a informed choice can be made. ON is one of the biggests selling proteins on the planet but not the best protein powder.
AZZA

Ok Shrek so I re-read the fine print and you are right, it does contain WPC and WPI. Sorry I was mistaken. How exactly is this a marketing ploy? I haven't gone out and bought a separate WPC. And does it simply mean that now I only have to add in casein protein before bed at night? And what in your opinion is the best protein powder on the market then?

MKJ, areyou an elite athlete competing at the highest level?

If not, I think ON is fine for you :)
It's not the most expensive protein either, so you're not doing too badly with it.

I am by no means an elite athlete. I am im fact just starting out . But I want to get this protein stuff sorted from the get go. Figured that you guys on this forum could give the best advice seems as though you would have tried and tested a few of them. Any tips you can give are much appreciated!

Ok Shrek so I re-read the fine print and you are right, it does contain WPC and WPI. Sorry I was mistaken. How exactly is this a marketing ploy? I haven't gone out and bought a separate WPC. And does it simply mean that now I only have to add in casein protein before bed at night? And what in your opinion is the best protein powder on the market then?
O.N is Ok but I was just making the point that it isn't WPI only it is a blend. I don't know what the best protein is I just go for value which i find in bulk unbranded protein.

Last edited:
I can't have WPC coz lactose intolerant and almost bought the ON stuff because of the marketing.

They intentionally make it seem like you are buying 100% WPI for a good price (WPI is a higher quality, more $$ protein), but when you read the label its just another blend.

If I had ended up buying it and had a reaction, I would have been furious!

I can't have WPC coz lactose intolerant and almost bought the ON stuff because of the marketing.

They intentionally make it seem like you are buying 100% WPI for a good price (WPI is a higher quality, more $$ protein), but when you read the label its just another blend.

If I had ended up buying it and had a reaction, I would have been furious!
I have used ON for 4 years, i am very lactose intolerant. It will not cause any probs, i have 3 a day when using it and also use Liddels Lactose free skim milk. I have also tried at least 30 different brands and only had reactions to 3. I have the Supplement review thread over at The Iron Dungeon.org and have had all these different brands over the last 3 months. Check it out. I am currently trying BSC Body Science and have 5 different powders and only 1 gives me a prob.
AZZA

I have found that every blend that I have tried has caused problems. Always end up with colic, which is embarrassing once you're over one and can't be burped by your mother after every meal. Have issues with some soy milks as well, but taking a SPI at the moment and its all good apart from the smell. My stomach is just stupid- have to be careful with fruit, oats are the worst.

Tried switching to Liddels from an organic soy milk. Its way to sweet for this chickadee. Had the Vaalia Lactose Free yogurt and its pretty good. A lot less sweetener than soy yogurt. And if you haven't discovered Tofutti's Better Than Cream Cheese, its time you became acquainted. You can get it from Woolies.

health supplements

I've recently brought supplements from *********, and trust me they are good, there services are like awesome, they have a wide variety of dietary products and also are very reasonable, they also have a quick shipping, well i was wondering where do you get your supplements from??

do share your experiences man!

enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes no difference when you drink or eat your protein, as long as you get in all your protein for the day. In fact, you probably don't even need to supplement protein as there is nothing to suggest (apart from nitrogen balance, but that has been dis-proven to equate to muscle gain) that you need anything more than 0.7g/lb of body weight in protein (125g a day for an 80kg male)

You are sadly mistaken if you think ON Whey is WPI. It's a blend of WPI and WPC, looks like their marketing ploy claimed another victim.

was just about to say that gold standard taste good but it inst a wpi .

It's a marketing ploy.

It is blended, probably 80% WPC and 20% WPI. Not sure, it does not specify the ratio.
Look at the ingredients list.

Ingredients:
Protein Blend(Whey Protein Isolates, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Cocoa(Processed With Alkali), Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Aminogen®, Lactase.
ALLERGEN INFORMATION: Contains Milk And Soy (Lecithin) Ingredients.

It's a marketing ploy.

It is blended, probably 80% WPC and 20% WPI. Not sure, it does not specify the ratio.
Look at the ingredients list.

Ingredients:
Protein Blend(Whey Protein Isolates, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Cocoa(Processed With Alkali), Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Aminogen®, Lactase.
ALLERGEN INFORMATION: Contains Milk And Soy (Lecithin) Ingredients.

To add to that, you could probably work out the ratio by looking at the protein content. If it's closer to 80g per 100g, higher proportion of WPC. If it's closer to 90g per 100g, higher proportion of WPI. That being said - from memory, ON contains about 79-80g of protein per 100g?

To add to that, you could probably work out the ratio by looking at the protein content. If it's closer to 80g per 100g, higher proportion of WPC. If it's closer to 90g per 100g, higher proportion of WPI. That being said - from memory, ON contains about 79-80g of protein per 100g?

That seems like a logical way to work it out. It also contains lactase, so I doubt lactose intolerant people would get a reaction from it (unless it's low dose, which I don't think because they will want it to "work" with everyone)