• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What healthy foods should be avoided

C

coop

when burning fat?

For example, ive heard u should cut out fruit. Is that correct?

Any other foods considered healthy that should be avoided, corn maybe?

It depends on the type of diet you are on.
Keto style, doesn't allow for any fruit, but a high protein, med fat, med carb type of diet would be ok to consume a peice of fruit a day. As for the corn that would be calculated in you total carb content.

There are so many different types of diets it's hard to give a straight forward answer. Just remeber when on a fat loss diet you need to burn more cals than you consume, so factor in everything you eat.

Last edited:
Problem with fruit is that people under estimate the sugar in it. Just be more careful about your selections ie berries rather than bananas. Same with fruit juices, museli bars, cereals, pasta. Energy in vs energy out.

Fruit is only bad because it makes your blood sugar levels wonky. I still say eat fruit as the benifits probably still outweight the negatives.

Avoid fruit???
What a silly idea, fruit is full of natural goodness, sugars, vitamins, minerals and fiber.

Remember dried fruit is quite high in sugar, so maybe avoid dried fruit.

i really like banana, but i read in a lot of articles that its "ONLY" and "ONLY" good PWO, it cant be that bad right? mango and banana are about the only two fruits that i eat *ofcors i drink juice in all other types of fruits

bananas are good anytime and make sure the juice is 100% or you may as well drink cordial.

Problem with fruit is that people under estimate the sugar in it. Just be more careful about your selections ie berries rather than bananas. Same with fruit juices, museli bars, cereals, pasta. Energy in vs energy out.

people over-estimate the sugar in fruit too.

THE SHIT IS GOOD FOR YOU PEOPLE - EAT IT! CUT OUT YOUR CONFECTIONERY INSTEAD.

But the question was "When burning fat"? and when in cal deficit fruit is a good way to but you back into surplus, so when on a fat loss diet i do beleive calories fruit should be avoided for nutrient dense cals from protein and fats.

Thank you Shrek.

A lot of people wonder why they can't lose weight when they are having muesli and fruit for breakfast, fruit as snacks and fruit for dessert.

I've just found this thread which has a similar theme to a question posed to me on another thread.

I don't know if anyone here is aware; fructose is a sugar with a double edge sword like my favourite hormone of all, the mighty insulin. Fructose can NOT be converted into muscle glycogen; hence you will not find me recommending fruit after a workout when muscle glycogen replenishment is paramount. However first thing in the morning, a fruit juice full of fructose will be heaven for your liver's glycogen replenishment. That doesn't mean you can't have other carbs with it at that time, but it's always a good practice to have fruit at that time.

Here’s the question I was asked: "Why is that fructose can not be converted to muscle glycogen??"

My answer:

Fructose can do three things in the body.

1. It can be converted to fat in the liver.
2. It fills liver glycogen stores so that even good complex carbs are more prone to spill over into fat.
3. It can not be used by the muscles to recover glycogen. Why? Because muscles do not have the enzymatic machinery needed to convert fructose into glycogen.

What the above basically means is that fructose represents a dietary carbohydrate load that is targeted for the liver. Does that mean fruit with all its vitamins, minerals, and fiber is bad now? No, but if you’re demanding only the best of the best, then I would have to be honest with you that unless you know which fruit to eat (based on its fructose to glucose ratio and when to eat it) then I would be doing you a disservice in recommending it if your intention was to lose fat or replenish your muscle glycogen after training.

Hence my recommendation of taking advantage of fruit or its juice first thing in the morning when liver glycogen stores are at their lowest as well as about 1 hour before training if you find yourself hungry and you haven’t eaten a high carb meal for sometime. At this moment, by eating a piece of fruit, you’ll not only top up your liver’s glycogen, but you’ll save your muscle glycogen from being catabolised for energy. I’m not suggesting a pre workout piece of fruit here; we’re talking 1 hour before, 1 piece of fruit.
As for bananas; they have a ratio 50/50 glucose to fructose. That's what table sugar sucrose has. I can easily recommend table sugar immediately after training over a banana. I can feel another question coming because of that statement...

I'm ready...

Reference:
  • Shafrir E. Fructose/sucrose metabolism, its physiological and pathological implications. Sugars and Sweeteners, Kretchmer N and Hollenbeck CB, Eds. CRC Press, 1991, pp. 63-98.
Fadi.

Last edited:
Fadi did you know that testes can also use fructose.

And did you know so can womens breats? But only! If they have canceorus cells in them.

Did you also know that if you look at a sucrose consumption graph in america it also rises and falls exactly the same as deaths from prostate cancer.

As for table sugar it is refined. Fruit has natural things that aid its high fructose levels ie Chromium and other things. When you refine things you stirp everything good away and leave the bad

It is true that we need a small amount of fructose to kick start our whole glucose process. But that only need be a serving of fruit not the amount people consume today.

I read this book i found it interesting.

As for table sugar after training i personally stick with straight glucose. I try to avoid fructose and sucrose unless it is in fruit.
sweetpoison_book.jpg

Fadi did you know that testes can also use fructose.

And did you know so can womens breats? But only! If they have canceorus cells in them.

Did you also know that if you look at a sucrose consumption graph in america it also rises and falls exactly the same as deaths from prostate cancer.

As for table sugar it is refined. Fruit has natural things that aid its high fructose levels ie Chromium and other things. When you refine things you stirp everything good away and leave the bad

It is true that we need a small amount of fructose to kick start our whole glucose process. But that only need be a serving of fruit not the amount people consume today.

I read this book i found it interesting.

As for table sugar after training i personally stick with straight glucose. I try to avoid fructose and sucrose unless it is in fruit.
sweetpoison_book.jpg

Thanks for the info noobs. I can't argue that fruit is great and table sugar is bad (generally speaking). But in the context of taking a particular sugar before, during, and after exercise; at these times fructose works to blunt a rise or spike in insulin if you like. At these times I want insulin to work for me by increasing the nutrient filled blood to the muscles and sparing muscle glycogen at the same time. I also want it to set the stage for a good recovery after training by keeping the king of all catabolic hormones cortisol under control. Insulin is the king of the anabolic hormones (albeit with a double edged sword), hence I want to treat it with respect and manipulate it so it can perform its anabolic magic whilst not adding fat to my waist at the same time.

So yes I hear you loud and clear noobs and your points are very valid indeed; but not in the context or in accordance with the specificity principle that I’m applying here, of my preference of one type of sugar over another, (at a specific time and under specific circumstances) as I've mentioned above.

Can you see my point noobs? I'd be very interested in your comment mate. Actually, I welcome your questions.

Fadi.

Last edited: