• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Alternatives to WPI?

D

danielanastasi

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here on the forums so I just wanted to say hi first. :)

I have an allergy to whey proteins found in WPI protein powders, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good alternative?

I have seen rice protein and soy protein that I think would make a good alternative, but I'm only new to all of this.

I have had Redbak SPI a few years ago which was quite good, but now there are so many other products on the market. Can anybody recommend me an SPI out of the following (Or anything not mentioned here)?

Redbak SPI
Aussie Bodies Perfect SOY protein
Natural Health Soy protein isolate
Natural Health rice protein

I was thinking either the redbak or the aussie bodies as they seem to be geared towards more bodybuilding, as opposed to just a diet supplement.

Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated,

Thanks everyone,

Dan

I would recommend soy protein or egg white protein (both come in powdered or liquid forms). Judge a product on its ingredients list, not on the marketing.

You might hear negative stuff about soy protein and oestrogen, but I believe these claims are theoretical and unfounded (in fact it was proven in consequential by a recent study, which I can't be bothered looking out right now).

Hope that helps :)

I would recommend soy protein or egg white protein (both come in powdered or liquid forms). Judge a product on its ingredients list, not on the marketing.

You might hear negative stuff about soy protein and oestrogen, but I believe these claims are theoretical and unfounded (in fact it was proven in consequential by a recent study, which I can't be bothered looking out right now).

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Snookmz,

What do I need to be looking out for in the ingredients list - Most protein in each serve? What else?

Thanks for the info Shrek, i'll look into it :)

Cheers everyone,

Dan

I'd say look at real food as an alternative first.

I would argue that soy and egg white protein are real. In the case of powders they are just further refined, with the water removed.

When I say look at the ingredients list instead of the marketing I mean that you want to maximise the amount of active ingredient for the smallest cost. This is something that Shrek promotes. For example: I first purchased ON whey protein, which contained WPC plus a little WPI plus a load of flavourings and sugars for $80 (for 2.2 kg). But I was only really interested in WPC, so I then sourced pure WPC at $50 for 2.5 kg.

What I mean is to look at whole foods first, before considering supplements.
Many great bodies were built before supplements were around.

I agree with Hulk. Id go further and say that only when you cant gain any more muscle i.e. when your freaking huge and platued for a very long time should you bother with protiens. At the end of the day you have to ask yourself these questions:

1. What are the suppliments doing?
2. Do you have proof they are actually working?
3. If yopu went off the suppliments would you still be gaining at the same rate?
4. If your gaining if your taking suppliments or not why pay money for something that is doing nothing?

In saying that i do think Multi vitamins are good fish oil is good but protien suppliments? Amino acids? Cretine? etc etc what do these things actually give you for the amount of money you shell out on them.

Im probably gonna get slammed for that opinion but its just my opinion.

Last edited:
Protein supplements like whey, soy and egg whites are whole foods, just refined. Do you mean, unrefined? After all, even brown rice and oats are refined a little, as well as wholemeal bread. A better argument might be that animal flesh proteins contain other things like minerals and omega 3 fatty acids. A protein supplement is a good way to keep the protein intake up between meals, who has the time to prepare 6 or 7 meals a day?

Kindred, creatine and glutamine are scientifically proven amino acids and so is fish oil, however there is hot debate over multivitamins.

I don't think professional bodybuilders are a good source of dietary information, I was watching a video clip of Ronnie Coleman and his diet. He eats no vegetables or fruit, just a truckload of protein and vitamins, and takes tablets for his kidney, cholesterol and liver because he is a steroid freak.

What I meant was if it works or seems to then its ok but if it doesnt why pay the cash. You can probably get what ever is in suppliments out of a good diet anyway and its cheaper.

When i take a multivitamin i def feel more energised compared to when i dont take it thats why i say they r good.

If what ever you are taking is working for you then i support that just not stuff that you cant see any benifits in cause they probably dont have any.

I also think you should try anything and everything just dont keep taking it/buying it if it does nothing for you.

Ever heard of the placebo effect? :)

Protein supplements are very cheap in comparison to a meal. A tuna sandwich on wholemeal bread (using the cheapest ingredients) will cost you approximately a dollar (correct me if I am wrong), a protein supplement will cost you approximately $.90. Now, add 'nice things' to that sandwich and a price quickly escalates, change the protein source and you can add a few more dollars.

Good point but... people that have protien suppliments use those in addition to what they would normally consume usually. So they would be eating the sandwich anyway and chucking on a shake for good measure.

Sorry to cause such a stir.

I have a pretty good diet - I eat balanced foods with not much junk. I feel my diet is adequate, but I want the protein as a 'supplement' only...

Like I said, I am more limited than others as I cannot use dairy as a means of gaining protein. i know there are many other options, but I just wanted to know if a soy protein supplement would be beneficial...

So it's a no go then, or what?

Cheers for the advice then guys,

Dan

I'm a vegetarian so my protien intake is far lower than meat eaters. I have 2 or 3 soy protien shakes every day.
We all know that protein is vital for muscle growth, so if you want muscles then it exercise, protein, a good diet and lots of water.

Cant say weather it would benefit you for sure as we dont know what you think "a pretty good" diet is. And are you exercising? whats your routine?

All that said, only $1.00 for a serve of protien, buy a tub and see how you go.