• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beta Alanine

kuta kintay

Hi guys

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on Beta Alanine. The guys in the States seem to rate it pretty good, and now seems to be in alot of supplements.

Also seen it selling pretty quick on ebay and online stores in the pure form.

I've searched for some studies and trials but doesn't seem to be much out there at the moment.

Anyone tried it and have any feedback?

Cheers

A lot like creatine IMO.

Went on for 2 months, gained 3kgs, increased strength and endurance, and was recovering like Wolverine. But when i went off, lost 1.5kgs in a month, and strength, endurance and recovery went back to normal. Obviously other things come into play to explain the results but yeah, thats what happened to me.

One of my gym buddies is still on it and he's kept all his gains but personally, there's no real point in taking alanine unless you're an athlete looking for that extra 1%. If your not one and only taking it because you wanna look good naked then it really isn't worth the cost - stick with creatine instead.

A lot of pre-workout supps have B.A in it already. Not a bad supp and not that expensive really because you only need 2-3gms per day.

Cheers guys.

I'm a huge fan of the creatine mono, cheap, i've had great results and proven studies. Even the AIS recommend it which is pretty rare.

Has anyone tried to make their own pre-workout supplement of Creatine, Argnine, Beta Alanine, and Citrulline Malate kind of style.

Guess i'm asking do you need all those other products companies put in such as grape seed extract, dextrose and things like that? Or could I just buy the Beta Alanine for $65 for 500g and Creatine Mono $20 for 500g and see similar results.

Cheers

It's a great idea to mix your own supps and cheaper too.
With those ingredients you listed and maybe some taurine and a BCAA's and or EAA's aswell you have a great pre workout supp and you can play around with doages to suit yorself.

Ive recently put together a pre-workout mix with beta-alanine, arginine ethyl ester, creatine mono, leucine, citrulline malate and dextrose. Got all the ingredients from bulknutrients.com.au (sorry cant post URLs, not enough posts :-S).

I've used the mix once only and did experience a tingling sensation - presumably from the beta alanine. I did feel more energetic and experienced some nice strength strength gains. I'm anxious to see how things progress, ill try keep this thread posted :-D

One of my gym buddies is still on it and he's kept all his gains but personally, there's no real point in taking alanine unless you're an athlete looking for that extra 1%. If your not one and only taking it because you wanna look good naked then it really isn't worth the cost - stick with creatine instead.

But if you hit up, AA's, BA, Creatine etc together, that provides a lot of little gains to make a big difference I reckon. (diet, rest and training must be consistent and good though)

Ive recently put together a pre-workout mix with beta-alanine, arginine ethyl ester, creatine mono, leucine, citrulline malate and dextrose. Got all the ingredients from bulknutrients.com.au (sorry cant post URLs, not enough posts :-S).

I've used the mix once only and did experience a tingling sensation - presumably from the beta alanine. I did feel more energetic and experienced some nice strength strength gains. I'm anxious to see how things progress, ill try keep this thread posted :-D

Nice mix you got there.

Keep us updated with how you go and your results.

I'm looking at something like that but might stick with the protein, mono, fish oil and multi til I hit my first plateau.

Haven't tried.

Anyone know the effects of HMB?

I need to try new things cuz I can't seem to get past 15.5" arms and 89KG at 6 foot :(

I tried HMB about 5 years ago. Along with Colostrum, didn't seem to do anything for me. Cost way too much as well. Should have bought a few more kg's of Creatine mono and protein.

Maybe I wasn't taking enough dosage bout for the price wasn't worth it.

The Australian Institute of Sport have done trials on HMB. Results on their website.

While research supporting the claims made in regards to HMB supplementation exists, interpretation of this data is difficult because of limitations in assessment techniques and a lack of control over parameters likely to influence results (e.g. diet, training load and gender). Furthermore, most of the evidence supporting the use of HMB has been collected on previously untrained individuals. Extrapolation of this information to trained individuals should be viewed with caution because of natural training induced adaptations (e.g. decrease in muscle protein breakdown associated with resistance training). A recent meta-analysis of existing HMB supplementation studies found that the overall effect of supplementation is a small improvement in muscle size and strength when combined with resistance training. Further research is needed.

HMB is soooo puzzling. HMB is a metabolite of Leucine and the basic formula for muscle growth is: protein synthesis – protein degradation = net growth. Leucine is important in this regard for two reasons:

It’s the amino acid that stimulates protein synthesis within the body i.e. it triggers the body to turn protein into muscles which increases synthesis AND it decreases protein degradation by blunting it within the body.

So the science is definitely there but for some reason it just doesn’t seem to translate into real world results. There’s my rant :mad: feel free to provide some input into why it just doesn’t seem to work to make you grow.

If you have hit a plataeu i'm not sure HMB will be the holy grail you are after.

After protein, creatine, fish oil, multi, i'd be maybe looking at more at pre-work out like study123's own mix of beta-alanine, arginine ethyl ester, creatine mono, leucine, citrulline malate and dextrose.

Otherwise an aussie site is selling a similar mix for $34.95 for 500g.

Maybe you will like HMB and respond well to it, but it along with Colostrum and Tribulus are in my rubbish pile.

So, stick with protein and creatine?

What's your routine and diet like?

If you've been training harder and harder in an effort to get bigger, your body is probably in need of a break.Try having a deload week or taking a week off altogether.

Or if you've been plateaued for a while, i know this sounds counterintuitive but go on a cut for a few weeks. This will take your body out of homeostasis and make it more sensitive to GH and IGF-1, which you will then use to 'rebound' past your pre cut weight. Most competitive bodybuilders actually put on the most muscle after they've dieted down for a competition - thats only if they stick to their post comp diet.

Beta Mishap

A mate of mine was havin a bit of a tantrum after being stood up by his trainer so decided to mix his own supps and thought the bulk beta analine was the same as the no explode he had been taking and threw 3 scoops into the glass and chugged it down what followed was a few hours of serious skin itching and burning blurred vision and almost passing out on the floor
He managed to call a mate and get to hte hospital where the Dr watched him for a while before sending him home to wait out the tingles and get back to normal
When we all heard about it and he was all OK we pissed ourselves laughing and will continue to remind him of his stupidity thank God he survived OK after basically turning his blood alkaline
so be careful with the supps

Pete