• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

need some general help

M

mkj

Hi all,

I am a new member to this site and am just seeking some advice on a few things. I'm a 22 year old female looking to lose some weight and tone up and have recently joined fitness first. I have been training with a group of a few people (men and women) for the last 2 weeks and am enojoying it and having some successes so far. We train twice a day doing a mixture of weights and cardio and have started doing some classes. I have so far lost 3kg since January 1st and am very happy with my results so far.

I have also started some protein shakes 2 x day as well as avoiding heaps of carbohydrates whilst not cutting them out completely. The only problem that I am having is that I know longer get hungry. Is this a bad thing? yesterday for example I had my protein shake in the morning after training. Had some chicken stirfry at lunch with some brown rice and then another protein shake after training last night and this was all that my intake was for the day. Is not eating going to have negative effects on my results at the gym? I'm not not eating on purpse i just don't get hungry and forget half the time.

Thanks for everyone's time! :)

I'm not a dietician or an exercise scientist, but through my research I have gathered that it is important to reduce your kilojoules intake but keep the meals regular and small. If you go without meals it tends to slow your metabolism down which makes it harder to lose weight.

An example from my practice, I have INCREASED my kilojoules intake but spread them out over small meals and I am losing body fat.

I hope you keep up the good work, if you are still going by June you will have lost a truckload :)

PS I have been watching the American biggest loser and one bloke on there put on weight, even though he was working four hours to six hours a day, because he was eating under 1000 cal (~4000 kJ). I.e. Not eating enough, so his body slowed the metabolism down.

Last edited:
Awesome. thanks for your quick reply. it makes sense when you put it like that! Guess i better start eating!:)

Small frequsnt meals is the key. Kepp protein high and hit the weights. You want to build muscle (not tone). This will increase your metabolism.

mkj,

A lot of females are scared to lift weights because they think it will transform them into male beasts. The advantage females have is that they dont have high levels of testosterone, which is the hormone that gives the muscle growth.

So when females lift weights they tend to get toned. Thats why you see a lot of the fitness/ figure pros lifting weights and getting that aerobic instructor look rather than the chunky look. The females that are large and ripped take hormone supplements to get them the larger muscles. And that is why they have the male characteristics like courser hair and a moustache. ewwwwww

So I would hit the weights hard, because it will just build tone not size.

And by building muscles, your body will run at a higher level of metabolism which will burn calories quicker. More calories being consumed means more fat being burnt on a constant basis.

In terms of your eating, you are best to spread the meals. Workout what your optimum calorie intake is, and work backwards from there. So if your calorie intake is 2000 calories, you need to split this over 5-7 meals. So each meal would be 400 - 285 calories per meal. So cut your chicken and rice into smaller meals, or take a smaller protein shake more often.

Cutting back on food is dangerous because it will lower your metabolism and also increase the body's tendancy to store food leading to fat retention. To build muscles and therefore tone, your body needs to be running at top speed and maintained with a constant source of food.

thanks guys for all your great advice. this will definately help me in knowing exactly what i have to do to get the results i want!