• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can Whey Protein Go Off?

T

toplinks

I got ASN HP100 vanilla a few days ago and noticed that its smelling like milk going off.
Is this normal or is there something wrong with it?
It's well within expiration date.

shouldnt be off. Did it smell like this from the moment you opened it?
Does it taste alright though

It's probably just the vanilla flovour that stinks.

I was going ask if it's vanilla flavour, then reread your post which confirms it.

Might be a bad batch, you never know. I never thought vanilla smelt bad in anyway.
Go to the ASN website and e-mail them. they may send you a sample so you can compare smells.

Good Luck.

shouldnt be off. Did it smell like this from the moment you opened it?
Does it taste alright though

To be honest I'm not absolutely sure, I didn't really investigate the smell to begin with but you could sort of smell the vanilla. I was more concerned about taste after all the reviews I've read about it.
But after a few days the smell took my attention, and then I could smell it was like milk going off.

I'd therefore say that it wasn't like that in the beginning.

It tastes the same, but not sure if it's safe to drink.

The HP-100 vanilla protein that you have purchased has not gone off.
The Advanced Sports Nutrition HP-100 is a pharmaceutical protein as compared with other protein supplements on the market which are only food grade. It smells and tastes different than any other protein. It is classified as a growth factor extract, a very potent anabolic protein ultra high in nitrous peptides such as IGF-1 and MGF.

The smell you are experiencing is a combination of a small amount of nitrogen which is being released from the top layer of the protein, because of a slight rise in air temperature, which then mixes with moisture that is in the air forming an ammonia type smell. This is perfectly normal for a pharmaceutical type protein and the protein has not degraded in anyway. When you mix it, it will still taste the same.

It is advisable to keep the HP-100 in a cool place so to limit the smell if you are concerned about it and before you open the tub each time, you can shake it which will also disperse most of the smell.

Wow, strong scientific explaination.

It is classified as a growth factor extract, a very potent anabolic protein ultra high in nitrous peptides such as IGF-1 and MGF.

Is this protein legal?

I have heard that protien stays good up to 6 months after the best by date.

It is possible that it has gone off if the seal was broken or if it was stored somewhere in sunlight etc yes i know the bottle is probably not clear but it has been hot and direct sun can casue an ultra high rise in the temperature :p

Last edited:
The HP-100 vanilla protein that you have purchased has not gone off.
The Advanced Sports Nutrition HP-100 is a pharmaceutical protein as compared with other protein supplements on the market which are only food grade.
i imagine this protein is quite expensive given the extra processing it probably has to put through to make it of "pharmaceutical grade".
does anyone know of the classification guidelines that determine whether a protein powders is pharmaceutical or food grade?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to bump an old thread. I had to throw out my ON Whey 100% 5lb tub today. It smelt really bad and tasted sour, completely different from when I first opened it. I threw it away. Also my Creatine Monohydrate also had an even worse smell, smelt like a rotting tip. I threw that away also.

A heat wave recently went through where I live. Room temperatures were mid 30s, I'm just wondering if the heat is what made them go off?