• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Cycling] Want to get into Mountain Biking

D

daftpunker

Hi All

I have always wanted to get into Mountain Biking, but have never known anyone who does it, so i have never gotten into it. I have one mate who is interested in trying it out with me, but we know absolutly nothing about the sport. I cam across ausbb.com from a weightlifting perspective and then realised there was a biking section, so thought i'd explore further. I am interested in downhill biking inpatricular but nothing too full on to being with (obviously).

I have read through the majority of threads on mountainbiking. i found them very helpful and informative, but there are a few specific questions id love to get clarrified...

1. I have a 21 speed Konya mountain bike, which i have always used for mainly gravel track riding and some very "soft" dirt trails. It has no suspension. Would this be ok to use a few times to see if i enjoyed the sport etc, before i go and spend $500 - $2000 on a quality mountain bike? I would rather spend as little money as possible and see if it is something i would pursue, and if it is, then i would go and get kitted up with a good bike and all the gear.

2. I am located in the North Eastern Outer Suburbs of Melbourne (ie: Heidleberg, greensborough area) and was wondering where there are some good tracks to get started on. I am willing to drive to get there.

3. Are there any schools or courses or groups I could join or attend to meet some people to ride with and learn from?

Cheers heaps for any help!

downhill mountain biking isn't something that you can jump into overnight
You need to learn the basics first , bunny hopping , getting over rocks and obstacles , riding in different terrain etc

Your 21 speed Konya mountain bike will get you started keep in mind that you wont be able to fling it off enbankments and the no suspension will make things a little hard on the wrists but it will get you started at learning the basic movements

learn how to use your bodyweight on the bike , how moving your body effects the centre of gravity

for tracks have a read over here at bicycle victoria Mountain Bike rides - Bicycle Victoria

Thanks for your reply Jasmin, that website is espeically helpful. Cheers :)