• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

"Cyclists should pay, says MP" - SMH article

T

trail

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cyclists-should-pay-says-mp/2008/02/07/1202234066487.html

Originally Posted by Sydney Morning Herald
Cyclists should pay, says MP

Jano Gibson Urban Affairs Reporter
February 8, 2008

BICYCLE riders should pay registration fees to help legitimise their place on the roads and pay for infrastructure and safety campaigns, says the Federal Opposition spokesman on sports, Pat Farmer.

His plan has received a mixed response from bicycle lobby groups. It is less than a month since the NRMA questioned spending taxpayer dollars on barely used cycle paths.

Mr Farmer said motorists often complained it was unfair for cyclists to use roads without paying registration costs. A bicycle levy would make such an argument redundant and could increase government funding for bike lanes, he said.

"We need to work with cyclists and cycling associations to come up with a levy … so that we've got some money to support them with much-needed infrastructure and to justify them being on the road."

Mr Farmer, who recently moved from his western Sydney electorate of Macarthur to Mosman, is yet to determine the cost of the levy but said it could be administered at bike shops and applied to people over the minimum driving age.

The Minister for Roads, Eric Roozendaal, dismissed the idea, saying bike riding would remain a free activity in NSW.

"Mr Farmer should get himself a long-distance Malvern Star racer and enjoy the free bike ride between his new home in Mosman and his electorate in Campbelltown," he said.

Bicycle NSW said it supported initiatives that seek to legitimise cycling. "A form of bike registration or levy may help achieve this," said its chief executive, Alex Unwin.

But the Cycling Promotion Fund, a bicycle industry lobby group, said a levy would discourage bicycle use.

"There is no country around the world which has registration for bicycles, and the revenue raised would be quite low," said the organisation's program director, Rosemarie Speidel.

Preliminary results from a study undertaken on behalf of the Department of Health and Ageing found cyclists saved more than $82 million in public health costs, almost $64 million in traffic congestion-related costs and $9 million in greenhouse gas-related costs.

so considering that i don't ride on the road only on bike paths and offroad , would i still need to pay rego?
would be interesting to see how they are going to control it

I would pay if they made extra bike lanes and infrastructure, BUT that won't happen. The government will pocket the money and nothing will change.

considering that i pay rego on my car , why should i have to pay twice to use the road ?

what about shoe rego for walkers?
While we are at at prams,wheel chairs. And old people with walking frames. they should all need rego too

if i'm paying rego on my bike , well expect me to use up the entire lane that i allowed to use ,as opposed to sticking to the left

fix up the bike lanes that exist , not just some spare space beside the guttering

the guy is just a tosser , trying to score points with the electorate that he left

Preliminary results from a study undertaken on behalf of the Department of Health and Ageing found cyclists saved more than $82 million in public health costs, almost $64 million in traffic congestion-related costs and $9 million in greenhouse gas-related costs.
Paying rego!? They should pay us for not buggering roads, clogging the health system etc.

Interesting how Bicycle NSW gave this comment.

Bicycle NSW said it supported initiatives that seek to legitimise cycling. "A form of bike registration or levy may help achieve this," said its chief executive, Alex Unwin.

umm hello bicycle NSW , cycling is already legit

atleast this article includes the savings made by cyclists to health care, environment and traffic congestion.