• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squats after arthroscopy

metzy

I am having an arthroscopy on my left knee in January which I believe to be as a result of the following combination, straight leg dead lift, squats and leg press (I think mostly the straight leg dead lift) anyway I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience having an arthroscopy on their knee then returning to squat's post surgery as I would really like to be able to do them again to bulk up.

I used to be an assistant techy on the cameras, It depends on what they are doing, is it a general diagnsotic or are they doing any thing else when they have it in there?

Quick Google got me this mate

Knee Arthroscopy, Arthroscopic Surgery Procedure, Knee Joint Problems, Bakers Cysts, Perth Australia

Post –Operative Exercises and Physiotherapy
Following your surgery you will be given an instruction sheet showing exercises that are helpful in speeding up your recovery. Strengthening your thigh muscles (Quadriceps and Hamstrings) is most important. Swimming and cycling (stationary or road) are excellent ways to build these muscles up and improve movement.

Last edited:
At the moment it's only general diagnostic as I have had an MRI and no tears were found however they might also need to do a meniscopy????
I am really looking to see how successfully anyone has been after surgery and getting back to heavy lifting, or if I should just forget about squating ie bulking up

really depends how the Diagnostic goes mate, Its not totally uncommon for the Physician to find something unexpected and make another incision. if its a general give it some time until atleast the stitches are gone and the skin isnt red anymore.

Id be more inclined to say to forget about squats and stress movements at least 10-12 weeks min after any cartilage trim, Internal stitching or reattachements or replacements. Buts thats general adivce, Get the surgeon to give you the heads up mate.

I havent had ny surgery but i once injured my knee badly. Imagine standing strait upright then you leg from the knee down being ripped strait to your left with out the rest of your body/leg moving.

Anyway i dislocated it and tore all the connecting tissure includeing cartalige. I was given an option surgery and have 80-90% of functionality back or no surgery and who knows. I didnt have anything and know it only hurts when i do squats/ lunges. Im sure thats due to bad form. HOWEVER!!! I know many people that have had the operation you mentioned mother and brother included and they are crippled by the pain now. apparently scar tissue can reform and may need to be cleared out occasionally.

if you need some surgery just keep moving on it and use it people that sit around and do nothing waste away and its sad.

I was meant to have my arthroscopy on Monday but found out about an hour ago from the hospital that my private health fund won't cover the surgery because it is within the first 12 months of joining. I now have to wait until after 3rd of March before I am covered and can have the surgery

I had my arthoscopy on my knee yesterday. Now just have recovery, can't drive until at least next monday when I see the doc again. So just sit around the house and heal

Speaking from experience, I had one a long time ago.While
they were in there they trimmed up my cartilage so my case
may be more severe but I was on crutches for 2 days after and
I think from memory i was off work for a week.For about 2 weeks I
was a bit tender and anything like squats would have been out for at
least a couple of weeks to a month.
It was a long time ago so I am a bit hazy.

Would be a good time to watch some TV series Metzy, i recommend Flashpoint and Rescue Me oh and the Unit and Texas SWAT, probably not all quality TV but entertaining non the less.