• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Skinny wimp

B

baxter

just started back at school and afer looking around at others in my class I'm as thin as a pencil, a Skinny wimp , especially in the arms, and especially especially at the wrists.

so i've decided to do something about it (hopefully)
what can i do to gain weight or put on mass in this area so that I look more normal?

at the moment I don't really do any exercise well except walking to school and home again about a 1k walk and don't currently take any protein supplements.

Thanks

baxter, don't worry too much about what the others look like , while it does give you a goal to set , but everyone grows and forms differently

at this stage dont waste your money on any supplemnts, get a clean healthy diet happening , buy yourself a bunch of microwaveable tupperware boxes to keep your meals in.

does your school have a gym that you can use before/during after class?

about the gaining weight, when you have your food in place why not try some compound exersises like:Squats,Bench, Clean and Press ,Deadlift

an example workout is something like
Day 1: Squats , Bench
Day 2:Rest
Day 3: Clean and Press
DAY 4: Rest
DAY 5: Deadlift
DAY 6: rest
DAY 7:rest

start off with a weight that your are comfortable with but also at the same time offers a little bit of a challenge, 10 reps for about 3 sets

work hard eat right and get enough rest and your be fine. It wont happen overnight but it will happen ,give it 6 months of hard work and your notice a big diffrence in your size & strength.

goodluck

sorry for being such a dumb newbie, but could you explain briefly what you mean by these terms :
Squats
Bench
Clean and Press
Deadlift

Squats
squat works on our thighs (quadripceps), butts (glutes), hamstrings and calves
for safety reasons it is best ot performed inside a squat rack
1. Rest a barbell on the upper portion of your back, not your neck.
2. Firmly grip the bar with your hands almost twice your shoulder width apart.
3. Your feet should be spaced at shoulder width. Your toes should be pointing just a little outward with your knees in the same direction.
4. In a controlled fashion, slowly squat down until your knees are parallel to the floor. The descent begins first with your hips moving backward, NOT with your knees bending. Imagine trying to touch the wall by moving your buttocks backwards. Also, remember not to bounce at the bottom of the movement.
5. Once you reach the bottom position, press the weight up back to the starting position. Do not lean over or curve your back forward.

Bench
1. Lie down on a flat bench with feet flat on the floor.
2. Grip the bar about 3 - 4 inches wider than shoulder width and space your hands evenly using the markings on the bar.
3. Lift the bar off the rack to a point directly above your shoulder joints.
4. Lower the bar to the center of your chest (some call it nipple line) with your upper arms moving directly out to the sides. Touch your chest lightly (not resting at your chest).
5. Press the bar up to the starting position. Do not lock your elbows at the top.
6. You should inhale as you are lowering the bar and exhale as you are pressing up.
7. Do 8 to 12 repetitions with 2 to 3 sets.

DeadLift
1. Stand with your feet shoulder width. Feet should point straight forward.
2. Use reverse grip (also known as alternating grip or hook grip) to hold the barbell. In this grip, one hand is supinated (palm faces you) and the other pronated (palm facing away). You can also hold the bar with an overhand grip. Choose whatever grip is most comfortable for you. I go for reverse grip. Just make sure you grip it correctly without hurting your wrist.
3. Lower your hips so that your thighs are parallel to the floor. Straighten your back and look straight ahead.
4. Keep you back straight and keep your hips low at all times. Make sure the weight is close to your body too. Also, keep your abs tight to minimize the stress imposed on your lower back. Maintaining this proper form is very important to avoid injury.
5. Now, lift the bar. When you stand up with the barbell, your hips and shoulders should go up together. If your hips go before your shoulders, you are using your back and not your legs. If this takes place, reduce the weight so that you can have the right form before adding more weights. Do not exert force with your arms, this is not an arm exercise.
6. Come to a standing position with upright posture. Pull your shoulders back if they are rounded forward.
7. Lower the barbell in a controlled manner back to the initial. Do not forget to keep the back straight because you are still supporting the weight.

thanks for clearing that up for me alca

my school does have a gym , but i am somewhat intimidated by the people that use it , as i said they are all bigger then me and i'm just skinny as a pencil

Baxter,
Hope all is going well with the training, depending on your age, if you are still growing in height, then don't do heavy weights, apparently it can slow your height down.

If you do squats, this will get you strong. They strengthen your legs, but also your back and abdominals.

The other thing you could do, is try and get a part time job on the weekends, that involves manual labour, mowing lawns, delivering and laying turf etc.

See if you can pick up some simple equipment second hand, weights, barbell, dumbells and a bench etc.
Hope this helps
MightyTriby.

The old heavy weights will stunt your growth myth - I'd love to see some scientific evidence to back that up. If that was the case, all kids working on the land lifting heavy stuff every day of their lives would look like hobbits when they matured...

a case for mythbusters

haven't come across anything to say that lifting weights stunts growth , the only thing i have heard is that the increases in testosterone may cause the plates to fuse early, but haven't come across any medical evidence to back the claim up

not in the medical field but from my understanding anything that would stunt your growth would have to stop your skeletal growth and thats not likely

not that i smoke , but the same thing gets said about smoking , smoking will stunt your growth , my brother is over 6ft and smokes i guess maybe it was a good thing that he did smoke who knows how much taller he would've gotten

Maybe I should ask Dr Karl, on triple J. the only problem is that you have to wait for ages to get on, and my mobile phone charge would be huge.

Maybe we should all try one day.

MightyTriby