• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much sugar should I have per day?

kindred

Im trying to limit the amount of sugar I have per day was wondering how much sugar is acceptable? Are there any web site relating to stuff like sugar and fat per day? I have read the protien thing but nothing relating to any other substances.

i remember reading that around about 8 teaspoons added sugar per a day based on a 2,000 calories/day diet

So what... 4 grams per teaspoon and 8 of them makes about 32 grams a day? Unless I got that wrong. You sure thats right? Cause i'm eating some dried fruit now and the packet says it is 96.8 grams, and i could eat the whole damn packet.

that was for added sugar as in refined sugar , natural sugar in the product is a good sugar so i wouldn't worry too much about it

Dried fruit is STILL sugar. Many people make the mistake of wondering why they can't lose weight, get sugar highs/lows, hunger pangs, etc and it is because they are eating heaps of fruit. Fructose is a simple sugar.

Eat a whole pack of dried fruit and you've probably consumed more than is in a chocolate bar. At least you'll be regular- plenty of fibre.

So what... 4 grams per teaspoon and 8 of them makes about 32 grams a day? Unless I got that wrong. You sure thats right? Cause i'm eating some dried fruit now and the packet says it is 96.8 grams, and i could eat the whole damn packet.

Dried fruit can be quite "calor-riffic" as I like to call it. Especially if its coated in vegetable oils. Generic mixed dried fruit is about 13.7 kj per gram. It adds up VERY quickly. Carbohydrates are sugar as well, just in a different form. It only take salivia to make the change from carbs to sugar.

You would be better off eating fresh fruit. The water content makes it more satifying and filling.

I don't add any sugar to my food. Most food has its own sweet flavors. Even milk in coffee is sweet enough for me. (I took a sip of my Partners coffee with 2 sugars in it and almost gagged at how sweet it was.)

If you want your sugar fix, eat it before and/or after a weight training session. It will be of benefit then.

Soft drinks will dehydrate you further, especially caffeinated ones like coca-cola. They are little more than liquid lollies.
"Diet" soft drinks are even more dangerous and just as fattening. The artificial sweeteners trick you body into thinking your getting sugar. Your brain requires water and sugar to function. If you are dehydrating yourself with soft drinks, you are not getting the water you need (head aches are caused by dehydration) and if your tongue gives the signal your taking in sugar then your liver stops producing sugar for the brain as well. Diabetes ensues. Not to mention artificial sweeteners are linked to dementia and other memory disorders.

White sugar is bleached to the point of being hollow kilojoules and is actually mildly toxic. Brown sugar is just as processed as white, but it is run through charcoaled animal bones to give it the molasses look.
Raw sugar is the safest, better still is pure honey (Not flavored glucose, as most "honey" is).

Geez, preachy bastard aint I? HAHAHAA

Last edited: