• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Will drinking beer negate my training?

kindred

Is there any chemical reactions or anything that goes on that stops muscle from being built when you have alcohol in your system?

Someone told me there is but I cant see how that would work.

as long as you drink in moderation you'll be ok ,while drinking beer does nothing for and can mess your training up but one thing to keep in mind is that although bodybuilding is your style,there is life outside of bodybuilding.

What about if you get really really drunk? Is it a chemical thing? How does it mess up training im not clear on how it works.

I think it does hamper recovery, as alcohol needs to be broken down by the liver. I wouldn't drink every night, but a few on the weekend should be ok - unless you are wanting to compete within a few months.

If you were serious about your training I would limit it to 2 beers once per week.

I think it does hamper recovery, as alcohol needs to be broken down by the liver. I wouldn't drink every night, but a few on the weekend should be ok - unless you are wanting to compete within a few months.

This is right - your liver deals with the alcohol, and needs lots of water to do it, this in turn can dehydrate you. If the body does not have enough water then all sorts of things happen - firstly you'll get that morning hangover and feel like shit which certianly won't make you feel like exercising and the body may revolt and make you physically ill if you try - two the body won't have enough water to remove the waste products generated during either exercise and the building of muscle. If your body doesn't have much water then lots of processes slow down including tissue repair - hence you won't gain at the same rate. The equivalent of 2-3 beers on a saturday if your following a weekend off type system won't be a big deal, but I wouldn't want to drink the day before you train or after you have trained.

I don't drink at all - my choice - and i still have fun with my mates without, so its up to you - its a lifestyle choice. Like most lifestyle choices how often and how much determine what the effects are like.

If I can find the Mens Health article I`ll put up some more details but according to it, alcohol can hinder protein utilization,especially if you drink after working out.
Have a beer or two on off days if you like a drink.

Don't listen mate, it is all lies.

Smoke and drink in excess.

You know how when you push yourself further in training you get bigger and stronger?
Well it's the same with alcohol and smokes.

The more you consume, the more your body can tolerate. It makes you super human. So if you can handle 4 litres of beer a day, then you can cope with producing muscles more!

Everyone here works for the anti-smoking and alcohol board just so you know...

well drinking on the weekends is o.k from what i observed
2-3 beers will not cause any harm from the training during the week if you drink fri/sat
BUT i have encountered with my body that if i drink spirits it dehydrates and makes muscler not looking fuller, cant lift and just crap.
i garantee after awhile you will find yourself not wanting to drink as much and you'll be pissed within 3 scooners. <--
tolerance level low!

DRINK UP BE MERRY

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on what sort of results your after, if you want the best results in the quickest time you would try to avoid it, if your happy with good results then have 1 or 2 occasionally.

The problem with alcohol is that your liver can still be breaking it down even after 48hours after your last drink. Whilst its doing this it doesnt process glycogen so well (what your cells normally use for energy) so you end up feeling fatigued, losing strength etc.

Another problem is the dehydration as already mentioned.
Also alcohol has been shown to decrease testosterone and increase eostrogen levels - i guess this is where the inhibiting protein synthesis part comes in. If youve worked out on friday your still supposed to be growing outside of the gym on the weekend.
Finally, alcohol helps you get to sleep easier, but the quality of your sleep isnt as good, so you end up feeling tired afterwards.
I dont know too many people that train too well after a hangover.

Anyway just for the info in answer to ur quesiton.

Cheers

Just for the record, I've been out plenty of Friday nights having a reasonable number of drinks, getting to sleep 230/3am then up and off to the gym the next day.

It was probably no good for me, but I'm young and I kept making gains.

I actually found that since I was eating more regularly and my mass had increased that I bounced back much faster than I would otherwise. The endorphins from training really kicked my hangover out the door too.

If you were going to ask me what my best advice would be, I'd tell you undoubtedly to avoid alcohol. Still, you do need to live so plan your training with what works with your life.

I would have my weekend training float so I could do it either Saturday or Sunday. Then if you know you're going out one night, leave your training day to be on the day that falls after your night *in* instead of your night *out*.

Fail to plan.. plan to fail!

If you want to compete, or are really serious then avoid alcohol completely.

If not, then go out and enjoy yourself, have fun, just don't go too far.

Drinking in moderation once or twice a week wont hurt.

As posted earlier you might find yourself wanting to drink less, the more you exercise. It happened to me, I'm a cheap drunk now, I'm not sure thats good or bad:p

Drink up and be merry.
Mike.

If you want to compete, or are really serious then avoid alcohol completely.

If not, then go out and enjoy yourself, have fun, just don't go too far.

Drinking in moderation once or twice a week wont hurt.

As posted earlier you might find yourself wanting to drink less, the more you exercise. It happened to me, I'm a cheap drunk now, I'm not sure thats good or bad:p

Drink up and be merry.
Mike.

Ill compete in drinking solved both problems.

I didn't drink last friday, so I could push hard for my chest session on sat.

Alcohol really screws with my body and how hard I can push.

You will soon get a fat stomach if you're in your mid 40-50s......

its all a question of mind over matter...

when i hit the piss - the next day i train like a demon to make up for the poor dietary habits which occured the night before, it also helps if you have a sauna, like me; which dramatically speeds up the process of releasing negative toxins from your body