• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Protein Supplements - Necessary or not?

R

raven

(popping my posting cherry :p )

Hi All
As the title suggests, I'm curious as to whether or not people feel protein supplements are of benefit - specifically I guess in my case or anyone with a similar work out goal.

About me:

• 33, a boy, 5'4", 72kg with a gut that needs busting and muscles that need unearthing and toning.
Diet (don't eat red meat but do eat seafood):

• Breakfast: 2x Weatbix with skim milk
  • Morning Tea: 100 grams yoghurt (no fat)
  • Lunch: Mountain bread with Philly extra light, spinach leaves, 95gm Tuna/Salmon, tomato.
  • Afternoon Tea: Apple
  • Dinner: Varies with the family a bit but generally tofu stirfry or a piece of fish with salad.
  • Extras - odd beer during the week and a couple on weekends.
Exercise:

• 3x per week resistance training (mornings)
  • 5x per week cardio - 30 mins jog/bike (evenings)
Went and saw a dietician at gym recently at was told that with the right eating plan I shouldn't need a protein supp and that they are essentially just extra calories that I don't need (if I want to drop 4kgs in about 6 wks which is what I want to do).

However, I'm also aware that effective fat lose is tied to building good lean muscle and one does need plenty of protein to achieve this I'm assuming. Which kinda leads me into another question which is in regards to testosterone supplements. At my age and for what I want to achieve are they a worthwhile investment and if so what is the best one to use?

Apologies for the small essay. To summerise:

• If priority 1 is to lose the gut do I need a protein supplement?
  • Should I be focused more on cardio than resistance training at the moment and if so to what ratio?
  • Is a test. supp worth the investment?
  • Any other supplements I should consider to assist in shedding fat more quickly e.g. Acetyl L Caratine?
Thanks for reading and I look forward to your insight.

Cheers
paul...

(popping my posting cherry :p )

Apologies for the small essay. To summerise:

• If priority 1 is to lose the gut do I need a protein supplement?
  • Should I be focused more on cardio than resistance training at the moment and if so to what ratio?
  • Is a test. supp worth the investment?
  • Any other supplements I should consider to assist in shedding fat more quickly e.g. Acetyl L Caratine?

You don't need protein supplements to lose your fat.

Cardio will get rid of your fat faster than resistance training, as it will take a while for you to build up calorie burning muscle.

You don't need a test supplement.

Your diet looks good and cardio frequency is good.
How long have you been doing it and how much have you lost so far?
If anything, gradually increase the intensity of your cardio and you should lose all your excess fat.

Thanks for the reply. I made the diet changes 3 weeks ago and have been into the routine for just over 3 weeks. Took a gut measurement at belly button level at the start which was 95cm :eek: and that hasn't really shifted so far.

So unfortunately the answer seems that I need to push harder in cardio :(. How hard is hard enough? What heart rate should I be looking at maintaining and for what duration?

Also, re the Acetyl L Caratine - worth bothering with this to assist is fat loss?

Cheers

Last edited:
Progress from cardio will come, it just takes time for your bodys metabolism to shift.

I'd say do 20 minutes at least 80% max heart rate, so you will need to warm up to the 80% for 5 mins or so.

Went and saw a dietician at gym recently at was told that with the right eating plan I shouldn't need a protein supp and that they are essentially just extra calories that I don't need (if I want to drop 4kgs in about 6 wks which is what I want to do).
Gee, now I have heard it all. It will only be extra calories if you have them as well as your normal meals. 1 or 2 shakes per day is great for fat loss as it a great way to reduce calories while maintaining a high protein diet. I do not advocate a shakes only diet but maybe 1 in the morning and 1 after your workout or before bed shoiuld suffice. That dietician is a tool.

Thanks for all the advice. Think the plan now will be to hit the cardio a little harder, stick to the current diet then perhaps once I'm down to a more reasonable fat % start hitting the resistance training more and supp then with some protein shakes. Does this sound like a reasonable approach?
Also, the Acetyl? Yes/No? Will it speed things up any?

The acetyl may help a little. Get some green tea tabs as well. They aren't very expensive and help kick the metabolism along.

I'm drinking 3 cups of green coffee per day - would that be just as good as using Acetyl or a thermogenic?

I'm not sure about green coffee. I know green tea definately helps. The acetyl works a little differently than the G.T. the acetly is a lipotropic and the G.T a thermogenic so they should work well together.

Just a word of warning- Carnitine smells rank, so you will need to skull it super quickly. I didn't find it to be a miracle cure, but even if it was just the placebo effect, I thought it made a bit of difference. You can get protein shakes that have it as an additive.

In terms or cardio, if you want to stick with 30 mins, look at interval training. That way you are only killing yourself for say one minute, then slowing down for the next minute. I find interval sessions are a great way of losing fat and increasing fitness.

With the Protein shakes, if your worried about the extra calories, get a shake that contains the fat burning things, is low in fat and contains little to no carbs. Max's HP+ is one.
It has 90g protein per 100g serve
0.5g fat per serve
0.8 carbs per serve
L-Carnitine 80mg per serve
Caffeine from Guarana 54mg per serve
Green Tea 100mg per serve
along with a host of Amino Acids and Vitamins

I dont have the srtictest diet, and ive never put any fat on when using this shake, no matter what i eat. If i eat reasonably well, the fat will strip off well. but to cut right up, you'll always need to go real strict on your diet.

The problem with that is if you want to take it at night you have the caffeine (Guarana) that may keep you awake. Just get a WPI powder and you're good to go.

Edit - Max's range is overpriced. there are cheaper (price not quality) alternatives.

Yeh, i definately find them overpriced. i would love to find a simialr protein with no fat and no carbs that claims to do what HP+ does. Any suggestions?

Yeh, i definately find them overpriced. i would love to find a simialr protein with no fat and no carbs that claims to do what HP+ does. Any suggestions?

this has no fat/carbs
DYMATIZE ISO100 100% Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate - eBay Supplements, Accessories, Exercise, Fitness, Sport. (end time 13-Nov-08 18:12:51 AEDST)

or this is the one i use i try to get value for money as i dont ern much 4.5kg for $118 and its wpi i think thats pritty good
ELITE WHEY PROTEIN 10 LBS WE R D DYMATIZE SUPERSTORE - eBay Supplements, Accessories, Exercise, Fitness, Sport. (end time 13-Nov-08 23:43:40 AEDST)

Mate that second one is not pure WPI. It has WPC aswell. You should proof read when you paste links.

Ingredients: Ion-Exchange Whey Protein Isolates, Cross Flow Ultra Filtration Whey Protein Concentrate (providing di-peptides, tri-peptides, oligo-peptides and poly-peptides), Whey Peptides, Natural and artificial flavours, Acesulfame-potassium.
*No Fructose, Sucrose, Fat, Fillers, Maltodextrin or Aspartame added to this product.

Last edited:
Mate that second one is not pure WPI. It has WPC aswell. You should proof read when you paste links.

Ingredients: Ion-Exchange Whey Protein Isolates, Cross Flow Ultra Filtration Whey Protein Concentrate (providing di-peptides, tri-peptides, oligo-peptides and poly-peptides), Whey Peptides, Natural and artificial flavours, Acesulfame-potassium.
*No Fructose, Sucrose, Fat, Fillers, Maltodextrin or Aspartame added to this product.

it has more wpi than wpc mate, thats why it says dymatize elite whey proteion isolate on the front:)

It's misleading and false. Some one on a carb restricted diet or is lactose intolerant may think it's pure WPI, instead they are getting a 50/50 or 60/40 blend.

It's misleading and false. Some one on a carb restricted diet or is lactose intolerant may think it's pure WPI, instead they are getting a 50/50 or 60/40 blend.

Hi Shrek
What would be your recommendation on a low calorie WPI?

Cheers

Hi Shrek
What would be your recommendation on a low calorie WPI?

Cheers
People on restricted calories use WPI because it has less carbs than other types of whey esp WPC. I would only recommend WPI when on cal restrictions or have a problem with lactase otherwise it's not really worth the extra dollars. WPC or a blend like the Dymataize one stated above should suffice.

Having said that if you wish to buy WPI i would stay away from those overpriced brands like Max's, Horleys, Musashi and some of those American brands, buy from bulk retailers in Australia.
Pm me if you want a few links to cheap (price not quailty) sites.