• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Punch Bag workout?

B

barwon

What's the general opinion on punch bag workouts?. Some people having been saying that it gives you a total body work out, is it a good exercise? even ifeven if i never intend on competing in a fight???

Barwon,

I don't do set punching bag workout, I just start punching - get into a rhythm for a couple of minutes, then stop for a break.

I like it because I feel it gives me core strength. That is, instead of working individual muscles, you are using a combination of them, so that they work together.

Bodybuilding is great for punching bags, I feel it gives me the strength to absorb the jarring of the punch.

It gives a great cardio workout & gives hand / eye co-ordination.:)

MightyTriby

Hitting a punching bag is an excellent upper body exercise that you can alternate with any lower body exercise.A punching bag also helps to improve your coordination. When you hit the bag, it bounces backward and rebounds toward you.

A workout using a punching bag will increase your metabolism tremendously and that is what you need to be able to burn off the calories. Using punching bag workouts to lose weight could result in burning up around 135 calories in just 15 minutes.

Ever done 3x 3 minute rounds of punching a bag? Its about as exhausting as 3x 3minute rounds of skipping. Also you can feel your first/shin sinking into the bag it makes you wonder what that would do to a person.

Remember you can use choose to focus on either speed or power on a bag. You may prefer combining the two - because when you fight you need both speed and power in the ring and on the pavement arena. (I hate the term "streetfights").

YES. Like Tall_Tim says try the 3minute rounds with
ONLY 60sec rest!

You WON'T make it pas the second round (if you are
a begginer). Better yet learn a few kickboxing/Muay
thai and try that!

Definitely won't make!!

I attended a boxing a class on Sat! I had to cut all
the work out's in 1/2. And still managed NOT to complete
the entire class!!:eek:

2 minutes normal 1,2 1,2 1,2 punching 30 second stop then go into two stright 1 jab 1,2,3 etc for 2 minutes 30 second stop then do the opposite hands for jabs etc then 3 minutes kneeing rotating around the bag always rotating :) then 40 second break then go into lower round house kicks for 2 minutes followed by upper round house kicks for 2-3 minutes then go back to the punches and repeat the punches once more :)

if you really want to get into it do crunches,leg raises and push ups in the resting periods its a insane work out I find it so hard to do and am drained after it its more of a mental thing but thats what fighting and training is all about :D