• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Boxing] Punch power and accuracy

R

rotas

i posted up earlier about incorparating a punching bag into my cardio workout. I have started using it but found that my punching needs improving

im right handed so it being the dominate hand i finding that my left arm feels weaker and also harder to aim when punching. So i am now wanting to improve my leftarm

Should I practice with my left jab or should i just do a left and right combo?

Thanks guys

my other punching bag post is here
http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/1081-using-punching-bag-workouts.html

Go to you tube and check out the instruction videos. I just do the jab, jab punch, then mix it up with the 1, 2, 3, 4. after a while I go to town on the bag, just punching left and right very fast.

What you will find is that you might get a jarring sensation up the arms and back etc. When this happens, just back off from the hard punches, then build up to them again. I only get the jarring feeling if I miss hit the bag.

Check out You Tube.

MightyTriby

was out checking youtube , found this one
How to hit the punching bag
[youtube]mSdVI5WUwWg[/youtube]

Everyone one has their own style of punching for different situations eg.

- mma style: mma fighters tend to rain in with hard and fast punches from both arms to go for quick knockout or maximum damage. Check out Chuck Liddells style of punching.

-old school boxing: they tend to work combos at a steady pace. Use the jab alot to sting and set up combos or for defense. Tend to use tradition boxing punches.

I tend to follow old school boxing. Good for cardio and warming up.

First start with the basics. Stance and posture.
search for Coach Russ Anber on youtube. Good clear instructions

I wouldn't isolate the one arm continue on both arms just using different combo's on the bags, overtime the power/accuracy will increase with practice.
The power of the punch comes from the waist and the mechanics of the body and learning to throw while staying stable

Over a short time, you do get used to it, and you start to know what you are doing. The only thing that happens to me, I get a sore on my knuckles. The intense pounding I do on the bag, takes the skin off at the knuckles. I don't wrap my hands before I put the gloves on.

MightyTriby

thanks for the helpful info guys
i was told that i should punch the bag without gloves or wraps to help condition my hands get them tougher etc , reason being that's how the used to do with kungfu , punching into rice to make the hands tougher

i don't know about that but , i mean if i wanted to get into fighting and tournament conditioning the hands might be a good option , but for a cardio work out and stress relief i think i'll just stick with the gloves

thanks for the helpful info guys
i was told that i should punch the bag without gloves or wraps to help condition my hands get them tougher etc , reason being that's how the used to do with kungfu , punching into rice to make the hands tougher

i don't know about that but , i mean if i wanted to get into fighting and tournament conditioning the hands might be a good option , but for a cardio work out and stress relief i think i'll just stick with the gloves

yes stick to gloves if your not into street fighiting.

Skin grazes take ages to heal and could mean you'll be out for a while. You can go bare knuckle if your accurate and have the right technquie. I'll still recomment boxing gloves. Gloves are good for protection and they act as a hand weight. Wrap your hands up nice if your still learning the ropes.

As Hiski said, go for combos. working just the left will get boring and also give you a dead left shoulder. Practice good bag work, dont go crazy on the bag but work with it.

I used to have weak punches. I found that just hitting the bag as hard as I could again and again helped alot. When I went to a boxing gym (shed haha) I would do about 30-45 minutes just of heavy bag work.

I did manage to talk the old into allowing me to put up a bag in the garage , been lots of fun and getting a good workout , even caught the old man using it a few times

One thing that i have been wondering about is the constant punching doing any structural damage, I'm not a structural engineer but i guess i might be thinking too much, my punches aren't that strong

Depends is it causeing alot of vibration? Is it attached to something that can safely support its weight?

I tell you what, I can't wait for this mma fad to be over.

Everyone acts like its the greatest thing ever. But I don't get into it. Too boring.

I much prefer all the martial arts separate.

Rotas, just go to your local pcyc -they all have boxing. Ask the trainer just to give you 10 minutes to show you some technique.
Tell him you only need enough to hit a bag at home for cardio.
He will probably show you some foot work, a jab/cross/hook/upper cut and a few combos.

MAIN THING - practice SLOW at first. SPEED AND POWER will come naturally once you have mastered the technique.

The introduction of mma just opened up an avenue for fat angry dick heads to get in the ring and try beat up someone.
These idiot blokes who are naturally larger in size (not necessarily muscle) and have anger issues, get a couple judo and bjj classes to get an idea on grappling/ground work and claim to be a dedicated elite athlete/fighter.

Most of them have terrible technique too.

99 out of 100 matches follow this routine: bell, kick, kick, punch, kick, trip, grapple, grapple, grapple, hold, hold, hold, submit.

How is that entertaining or worthy of people's attention? it's like watching 2 oversized school kids try to fight but not as funny.

And I hate the fact you can roll a man on to his stomach with your full bodyweight on his back restraining his arms and punch the shit out of the back of his head. There is no grace, style, technique or anything in that. The punches are usually of really bad form/technique too.

The introduction of mma just opened up an avenue for fat angry dick heads to get in the ring and try beat up someone.
These idiot blokes who are naturally larger in size (not necessarily muscle) and have anger issues, get a couple judo and bjj classes to get an idea on grappling/ground work and claim to be a dedicated elite athlete/fighter.

Most of them have terrible technique too.

99 out of 100 matches follow this routine: bell, kick, kick, punch, kick, trip, grapple, grapple, grapple, hold, hold, hold, submit.

How is that entertaining or worthy of people's attention? it's like watching 2 oversized school kids try to fight but not as funny.

And I hate the fact you can roll a man on to his stomach with your full bodyweight on his back restraining his arms and punch the shit out of the back of his head. There is no grace, style, technique or anything in that. The punches are usually of really bad form/technique too.

This has always bothered me too - Finding a place that teaches both ground and stand up well is difficult, I found one here in perth, and will be going back again when I'm stronger and more flexible again (I injured myself a couple of years ago quite badly - and have gotten fat and lazy as a consequence). I like open style martial arts competitions, and I've competed at a few, these have rules - no below the belt, no punches to back of head, no knees to head. If you are put face down on the mat then you have lost a point and you both stand up - you get an 8 count, and off you go again. Its more like boxing in that way I suppose. This actually requires skill, and most of the time you spend on your feet, as neither opponent wants to be on the ground long enough to possibly get rolled over. MMA - while a really good idea, has turned into exactly what your saying - meat heads with no skills and anger issues smashing each other. Although you have to admit thats exactly what normally happens during a bar fight too - if both are ready for the first punch that is. Its swing wildly, end up on the floor and then one guy (generally the one whos less drunk or weighs the most) rolls the other over and smashes him in the head/face until the bouncers or otehr people pull them appart - MMA is just a way to legalise pup brawls IMHO.

Wraps and knowing how to wrap is more important id say. Wrist injury is serious grazing your knuckles is not. Also if you are hitting it right you shouldnt be grazing your knuckles at all.

damn i was on pages 1 when i answered this.