• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Punching Bag?

C

catwoman

I was reading over in the male section and saw mention a punching bag so thought i would ask the girls, does anyone have one or use it for training?

i've always wanted one figured it would be a good way to relieve some stress and frustations, i might talk the hubby into getting me one, i'll just have to drop enough hints

just not sure to work it into my workout routine

In the past i did a beginner boxing class learnt a few combos but i felt the course focused was more on conditioning than anything

from the post that angus made here http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/1081-using-punching-bag-workouts.html

How to Get a Good Work out With Punching Bag

With most gyms and leisure centers nowadays, being equipped with at least one punching bag and the facility to supply bag gloves and a skipping rope, there is no excuse to not learning to maximize the benefits we could get from this great sports invention.

This article aims to teach the novice/intermediate how to approach bag training, provides a sample program and then explains the logic behind the different segments of the program, which in turn allows you to make any necessary adjustments to suit your preference or current fitness levels.

The Warm Up

1. Start your warm up with some joint rotations, in order to lubricate your joints and prepare them for the work out.
2. Start by making circles with your feet and then work your way up through the knees, hips, spine, neck, shoulders, elbows and finally wrists. This serves to increase the production of the synovial fluid which lubricates the joints and makes movement smoother.
3. Grab a skipping rope skip for at least 5 minutes, aiming to increase the number of jumps-in-a-row as you go. Skipping is an excellent low-impact activity to increase your blood circulation and raise you core body temperature. It also helps you work in your coordination, which is an important attribute for bag training and boxing/fitness in general.

The Footwork drills

1. Start circling the bag to the right, feeding a jab for every step or two you take. (2 rounds x 3 minutes with 1 minute breaks)
2. Repeat the same drill above but now substitute the jab for a cross punch. (2 rounds x 3 minutes with 1 minute breaks)
3. Repeat the same drill above but now substitute the cross for a 1-2 combo (a jab followed by a cross). (2 rounds x 3 minutes with 1 minute breaks)
4. Repeat the same drill above but now build the combo to a 1-2-3 (jab-cross-hook). (2 rounds x 3 minutes with 1 minute breaks)

The Speed Drills

1. Stand 2-3 feet distance from the bag. Explode forward with a jab and explode back (the clearance). Focus on the speed of action. Execute no more than 5 lunges.
2. Repeat the same drill above but now substitute the jab for a 1-2 combo. Execute no more than 5 lunges.
3. Repeat the same drill above, but now substitute the 1-2 combo for a hook punch. Execute no more than 5 lunges. Focus on the speed of delivery and clearance.

The Strength Drills

1. Stand 1-2 feet distance from the bag. Explode against the bag with a cross punch. After each punch bring the bag back to a still state before the next punch. Execute no more than 10 punches. Focus on the power of delivery and back it up with as much momentum and weight as possible.

The Stamina Drills

1. Stand 1-2 feet distance from the bag. Explode against the bag with a combo of continuous jab punches. (5 rounds x 2 minutes with 1 minute breaks)
2. Repeat the same drill above but now substitute the jabs for cross punches. (5 rounds x 2 minutes with 1 minute breaks)
3. Repeat the same drill above but now substitute the crosses for 1-2 punches. (5 rounds x 2 minutes with 1 minute breaks)

The Cool Down

1. Take 5 minutes to perform some arm circles to help the circulation remove the excess lactic acid that may have formed and accumulated in the muscles.
2. Follow that with slow stretching of your back, shoulder, triceps, and abdominal muscles. This will help minimize the training soreness and speed recovery.
* Feet shoulder-width apart, left foot leading. Keep your hands in fists and up in front of you at chin level.
* The best punches to use on the bag are:
o Jab: a straight line punch with the left hand at face level.
o Cross: a straight line punch with the right hand at face/torso level. Because it is with the right hand, it involves rotating the torso for maximum power.
o Hook: a round punch with the left hand to face/torso level.

Tips

* These drills are not for the faint hearted! Work your way up to them, starting with shorter durations and progressing gradually.
* Every time you move to the right/left, you start the move with your right/left foot, and so forth.
* Every punch you throw must travel the same pathway back to the starting position. Don’t suffer from lazy punches that "die at the bag".
* Separate the different drills. In the footwork drills, make sure your contact with the bag remains minimal or the bag will sway too much and throw you off your drill. Meanwhile, make sure you apply your full power, momentum, contact and body weight behind every single punch.

Warnings

* Take it easy in the beginning and build up gradually.
* Always use the correct equipment. Never punch the bag without gloves. You don't want to cut your skin open and definitely not pick up anybody else's germs.

Things You'll Need

* Punching bag
* Bag gloves
* Skipping rope
* Stop watch
How to Get a Good Work out With Punching Bag - wikiHow

One thing to expect- your hands will quite possibly hurt a bit at first. Just did my first boxing class in forever and my right hand is a killer! That'll teach me for not punching correctly...

i love throwing a few punches into the bag , can almost feel the tension flowing out with every punch, as breebreerocks said , first time your hands do hurt a bit

learn the corrent form on how to throw punches and you'll do fine , the post that allie made above is informative it should help you out

As you can see im not a girl but i recomend using wraps and gloves or you may hurt yor hands. good luck.

Since my ex left and took the car (thanks a lot) I have a big empty space in my garage.Simple solution - fill it with a punching bag.The Harley riding dude next door and below me had some kind of frame he used for mechanical work which he didnt use so he modified it for me and hung the bag off that.On my off days or when it is to cold and snowy to go for a walk,cycle or jog (which is everyday in winter:mad:) I belt the crap out of it till I work up a good sweat and a puff.
I`m sure my technique is crap but who cares?It feels good to pound away at it.

I have learnt lessons on punching the bag without gloves, now every time I hit the thing the scab on my right hand peels off and blood gets all over the gloves.

I dont cut up my hands on my punching bag anymore. Afte awhile with gloves and without you learn to hit it not scrape it. I really wanna get to the next stage tho which is makeing the bag pop when you hit it. Might take awhile as i only hit it once or twice a month haha.

Get a few good non elastic bandages and strap your hands and wrists, you will find you can punch it for longer and harder, and start hitting with the correct part of your fists, once you have supported your wrists. Sometimes just the constant impact will bust open your knuckles, after a while you will build up some calases (?spelling)