• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Boxing] using a punching bag in workouts

R

rotas

I've noticed that in a lot of gyms you will find punching bags in them. Is htting the bag good to incorporate in your workout?if so why.

Its good to strengthen your punches, also it's a good cardio workout if you go at it for a while.

might try and talk the olds into letting me put a bag in the garage
the old men likes to park his car in there , but if i string some rope from the rafters i'd be able to pull the bag up and lower it with ease

Over using the bag could result in injury to hands, wrists, and elbows. Just something to think about.

Yep I use a bag meself , one thats also long enough to kick & i also use a peice of rope to tie it up .

I tried a few diff ways to tie it up & found the rope to be good , it lets it fly around plus it makes a bit less noise .

Go harrd on the bag for 3min rounds .

For a little bit more af a challenge try a speed ball , lots of fun .

tried the speed ball but couldn't get the hang of it , get a few punches in then lose the rhythm of it

Yep,
I use the punching bag and the speed bag.

I find the punching bag is good for cardio work, plus it also seems to strenghten your core muscles. I only use it on the weekends, as the constant pounding ripps the skin off my knuckles. I can only use it for a few minutes, it's very tiring.

The speed bag is hard to use. I have got the rythm, but I cannot seem to make it go faster. When you have a look on You Tube and type in speed bag, the guys on that have it going a million miles an hour. Next door to my in-laws, the old bloke is a pug from way back & he uses a speed bag, so I will ask him for some advice.

My advice for hanging the bag from the roof, when you attach the hook to the ceiling rafter, also run a peice of timber from the rafter up to the joist. This will help prevent the rafter from bending.

Bagtreadmill.jpg

SpeedBag.jpg

How to Get a Good Work out With Punching Bag

With most gyms and leisure centers nowadays, being equipped with at least one punching bag and the facility to supply bag gloves and a skipping rope, there is no excuse to not learning to maximize the benefits we could get from this great sports invention.

This article aims to teach the novice/intermediate how to approach bag training, provides a sample program and then explains the logic behind the different segments of the program, which in turn allows you to make any necessary adjustments to suit your preference or current fitness levels.

The Warm Up

1. Start your warm up with some joint rotations, in order to lubricate your joints and prepare them for the work out.
2. Start by making circles with your feet and then work your way up through the knees, hips, spine, neck, shoulders, elbows and finally wrists. This serves to increase the production of the synovial fluid which lubricates the joints and makes movement smoother.
3. Grab a skipping rope skip for at least 5 minutes, aiming to increase the number of jumps-in-a-row as you go. Skipping is an excellent low-impact activity to increase your blood circulation and raise you core body temperature. It also helps you work in your coordination, which is an important attribute for bag training and boxing/fitness in general.

The Footwork drills

1. Start circling the bag to the right, feeding a jab for every step or two you take. (2 rounds x 3 minutes with 1 minute breaks)
2. Repeat the same drill above but now substitute the jab for a cross punch. (2 rounds x 3 minutes with 1 minute breaks)
3. Repeat the same drill above but now substitute the cross for a 1-2 combo (a jab followed by a cross). (2 rounds x 3 minutes with 1 minute breaks)
4. Repeat the same drill above but now build the combo to a 1-2-3 (jab-cross-hook). (2 rounds x 3 minutes with 1 minute breaks)

The Speed Drills

1. Stand 2-3 feet distance from the bag. Explode forward with a jab and explode back (the clearance). Focus on the speed of action. Execute no more than 5 lunges.
2. Repeat the same drill above but now substitute the jab for a 1-2 combo. Execute no more than 5 lunges.
3. Repeat the same drill above, but now substitute the 1-2 combo for a hook punch. Execute no more than 5 lunges. Focus on the speed of delivery and clearance.

The Strength Drills

1. Stand 1-2 feet distance from the bag. Explode against the bag with a cross punch. After each punch bring the bag back to a still state before the next punch. Execute no more than 10 punches. Focus on the power of delivery and back it up with as much momentum and weight as possible.

The Stamina Drills

1. Stand 1-2 feet distance from the bag. Explode against the bag with a combo of continuous jab punches. (5 rounds x 2 minutes with 1 minute breaks)
2. Repeat the same drill above but now substitute the jabs for cross punches. (5 rounds x 2 minutes with 1 minute breaks)
3. Repeat the same drill above but now substitute the crosses for 1-2 punches. (5 rounds x 2 minutes with 1 minute breaks)

The Cool Down

1. Take 5 minutes to perform some arm circles to help the circulation remove the excess lactic acid that may have formed and accumulated in the muscles.
2. Follow that with slow stretching of your back, shoulder, triceps, and abdominal muscles. This will help minimize the training soreness and speed recovery.
* Feet shoulder-width apart, left foot leading. Keep your hands in fists and up in front of you at chin level.
* The best punches to use on the bag are:
o Jab: a straight line punch with the left hand at face level.
o Cross: a straight line punch with the right hand at face/torso level. Because it is with the right hand, it involves rotating the torso for maximum power.
o Hook: a round punch with the left hand to face/torso level.

Tips

* These drills are not for the faint hearted! Work your way up to them, starting with shorter durations and progressing gradually.
* Every time you move to the right/left, you start the move with your right/left foot, and so forth.
* Every punch you throw must travel the same pathway back to the starting position. Don’t suffer from lazy punches that "die at the bag".
* Separate the different drills. In the footwork drills, make sure your contact with the bag remains minimal or the bag will sway too much and throw you off your drill. Meanwhile, make sure you apply your full power, momentum, contact and body weight behind every single punch.

Warnings

* Take it easy in the beginning and build up gradually.
* Always use the correct equipment. Never punch the bag without gloves. You don't want to cut your skin open and definitely not pick up anybody else's germs.

Things You'll Need

* Punching bag
* Bag gloves
* Skipping rope
* Stop watch
How to Get a Good Work out With Punching Bag - wikiHow