• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weight Loss Supplements and Diet Pills

H

huski

Weight Loss Supplements and Diet Pills

Successful and healthy fat loss can be achieved by proper diet and appropriate exercise alone. There is no magic bullet for weight loss. Some supplements and pills can provide an edge - but will only give you that extra 5-10% 'boost'.

If you intend to use diet supplements, try and get the basics right first - diet plan, weight training, cardiovascular exercise, goal-setting and consistency.
The Truth about Diet Supplements

There are a multitude of diet pills, diet supplements, and weight loss formulas to choose from. This is a multi-million dollar industry .

The reality is however, there is a risk of side effects from virtually all diet pills. What's worse is that some simply don't work at all. There is a lot of deceptive marketing that goes on when advertising weight loss supplements - if you are taking care of your diet and exercise, it is difficult to tell exactly how effective the supplement is.

Having said all this, many people report success, but be aware that advertising on these products is often very overrated. There are some ingredients, such as Green Tea Extract, L-Tyrosine, and Flax oils, that research suggests DO work.

Supplement Brands

Most weight loss supplements are simply a collection of (mostly) the same ingredients - at varying quality (see ingredients below). Some brands are heavily advertised and receive celebrity endorsement: TrimSpa, Hydroxycut, Relacore, Zantrex. Due to the removal of Ephedra - these are all Ephedrine-free - something that many believe has made the pills less effective.

Do not confuse herbal diet supplements with prescription diet pills. Diet Supplements are available over-the-counter at health shops. Read more about prescription diet pills.
Herbal Ingredients

Chromium

Available in the form Chromium Picolinate. Research has produced conflicting results - but Chromium is certainly no miracle weight loss nutrient. However some people are chromium deficient and should aim to supplement their diet (from whole foods or supplements). See Chromium Supplements

Ephedra
When Ephedra is often combined with Caffeine (called EC) research has shown that weight loss has occured (due to an increase in thermogenesis). However the side effects presented a risk (often due to people overdoing their dosage).

Synephrine / Citrus Aurantium / Bitter Orange
Synephrine is found in Citrus Aurantium and is a similar to Ephedra (with similar side effects). However research remains unconvincing as to its affect on weight loss.

Tyrosine
Tyrosine is an amino acid that acts as a mild stimulant. Tyrosine assists in maintaining a higher metabolic rate. As for weight loss, Tyrosine provides assistance really only when snyergistically combined with other ingredients.

DHEA
DHEA is a hormone produced in the body and is marketed as a general health tonic. DHEA levels fall off as we get older. As a weight loss supplement there is little or no proof that DHEA causes fat loss. However as a general supplement - many people swear by it.

Green Tea
Green Tea Extract is found in most weight loss formulas. There are many many health benefits arising from green tea (provided the extract is a good one). There are many studies that have shown green tea (in quality form) HAS resulted in increased metabolism and fat loss.

Weight loss supps peddle more bullshit than any others around.
A few do work from what I have personally seen with friends and
acquaintances but most are pure quackery.
Green tea is relatively new in the west but it seems to be standing
up to all the research so far.The Japanese swear by it.
A friend of mine used a lipotropic liver formula (containing aminos etc)
with great results.The brand I think has gone now but it may have been
Microgenics (?).
Whatever the case,a good diet and exercise is the only 100% guaranteed
way.

I never knew green tea increased metabolism and fat loss, from my understanding (before reading this) is that green tea when consumed with food helps the breakdown of fatty foods thus reducing the absorption into the body... again i am quite clueless when it comes to these sort of things..

I do drink quite a lot of green tea (thanks to living in Japan for a big part of my life!!!) I might do more research on this!!

Thanks for the post