• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Exercise during pregnancy

C

chloe_capri

I found out that i am pregnant and in my 5th week, i try to do regular workouts but now i am worried,this is my first baby should i continue to workout?
i do strength training, not lifting huge amounts but i am lifting, I also do pilate and cardio mixed with resistance bands

Can I still workout?

Congrats on the pregnancy ! It would probably be best to stop or at leastdecrease the weights - it's not advisable to lift heavy weights during pregnancy. Walking/swimming is the safest. Maybe you could get some workout DVDs meant for pregnancy?

First thing is talk to your doctor.

A lot of what you can do is determined by how fit you are before you get pregnant. Most of the women at my gym have it recommended that they kept their BPM to a certain level- and how quickly you reach that is very much determined by your cardiovascular fitness. I see some women who manage to run and do Spin classes their entire pregnancy. Others head straight for water aerobics, Pilates and Yoga.

Just remember that with Pilates and Yoga a lot of poses will need to be adjusted for pregnancy.

With the weights, I know that Les Mills try and say that Body Pump is OK in pregnancy, but as your ligaments soften with all the hormone craziness, I would steer clear of lifting weights.

Thanks for the replies girls , i'll be speaking to the doc and seeing what she recommends

Pregnant women workout like normal but modifying their workout as the weeks go on. It all depends on how you feel when you are doing them. Stop if you feel any pain. Anything that involves lying on your back or tummy is out

My 6month preggers partner goes to the hospital a few days a week for the water aerobics. She reckons it kicks her arse and she is comfortable as it is women only. Being surounded by other pregnant women makes her feel at ease. She used to weight train with me, I miss the company... :(

A pregnant woman is the sexiest of them all! Enjoy the time, you will look absolutely gorgeous without trying!

It was all good until that last part which slightly creeped me out lol. Good job on the mini dude/dudette.