• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

losing body fat

M

mzgtr

Hi guys,

I just have a question about losing body fat. My current training claims that running / walking will not lose any fat and its not worth doing either exercise. He claims weights are better and said I need to get strong before even thinking about losing body fat. Also that the only way to lose body fat is by diet.

But I don't think this is correct. I thought running was a great way to lose body fat. Also I'm not interested in getting strong that is not a goal for me, I only want to lose my love handles and little fat on my tummy thats all.

So I would like anyone advice on how to achieve this. I'm only 5'7 and weigh 58kilos and only want to lose love handles / tummy. What should I do?????? HELP?????

Basically do it all.

Weights, cardio and diet.

The combination will help you lose body fat AND improve body shape.
So to almost over-simplify the situation, if you just lose some fat, you body shape will be the same, but slightly smaller.

Does that make sense or was I not clear?

Do you mind me asking why you don't want to build strength? Having a flat tummy, toned arms and a perky butt are as much about the muscle underneath as the fat on top. Women also have to battle their hormones- you need to strength train to keep your body is an actual shape! But the biggest reason is bone density- don't do weight bearing to keep it and you will lose it. Now what woman wants to look all hunched over from osteoporosis?

Saying walking and running will not lose is a pretty stupid claim, and you should consider giving him the flick, as he doesn't appear to be very knowledgeable.

An increased heart rate requires more energy to maintain, so your body transfers energy from fat to the metabolism.

Weight training and cardio will both raise your heart rate, so both will lose fat. Doing both will ensure a better loss then just doing one.

What your trainer might be trying to say, in a matter of words, is that when you do cardio you only burn fat for the time you're doing it. As soon as you stop, your fat burning stops. When you do weights, your body continues to burn fat when you are resting, making your metabolism much more effective.

He does really know what he's talking about - it IS better to incorporate weights or all your cardio work is not as efficient as it could be. Do a good weights workout twice a week - and find exercises that you like to do (don't forget the machines). I really couldn't stand doing free weights. He might try getting you to do girly exercises like my first trainer did.

Try out ALL the exercise machines and the weights (get demos if you need), and choose the ones you enjoy. Start with exercises that use the big muscle groups first - I'd try a pectoral, a lat, a legs (press or squat) and a calf raise. Choose some areas of your body you'd like to make stronger. Don't forget to make sure your protein intake is around 80-100 grams per day, or else your body will eat your muscle, and not your fat. If you ever feel hungry, you're in the dangerzone.

A fantastic educational muscle book to buy is Strength Training Anatomy by Frederik Delavier. It's my bible.

I promise, you will never look at yourself and say 'shit I look too big'. You will only get stronger and more confident, and when you're at the strength and tone you'd like to see, you'll only enjoy maintaining it. Promise.

Last edited:
I think what your trainer was probably trying to get across to you, was that by running hard you will not loose as much fat as you think. When under certain types of stress the body will draw on different energy stores in the body. It is relatively well known in health/scientific circles that during ANY exercise that raises the heart rate that the body uses a certain proportion of fat, carbohydrates and catabolism (muscle metabolism) to provide energy.

Keeping your heart rate at 60% of your max will help your body to burn more fat. If you lift it above 70% your body tends to burn up carbohydrates rather than fat and if you really push yourself hard your body goes catabolic and starts to burn muscle instead of your food. So basically you want to keep your heart rate around about 65% of your max (220 - age) to loose the biggest proportion of fat. No matter which range your in you WILL burn some small amount of muscle mass unless you are also damaging that muscle (then the body repairs that muscle making it bigger).

So basically if you only run then you will loose fat and your leg muscles will get bigger, but your muscles everywhere else in your body will get slightly smaller and weaker and basically you will eventually look bottom heavy. To counter this you really DO need to do some weight training of your upper body so you look more in proportion.

Fat on the belly is mainly altered with diet. Using weights will increase muscle which will then increase metabolism. Sounds like your trainer wants your overall body condition to improve.

what your trainer probably meant was that the more muscle you build the more fat you burn, but you shouldn't give cardio up all together. Cardio increases your lung capacity and improves your breathing.

ask your trainer to be more specific and explain why if you don't fully understand.

I would suggest using free weights if you can because you then use all those smaller muscles to stabilize and control the weight. it also helps to strengthen your core. Machines mean you don't have to think about your form since they only allow one movement. however the risk of injury is greatly reduced and if you're a beginner they are the way to go.

But the best way to combat fat is diet diet diet!!! I can lose a substantial amount of fat if my diet is clean and consistent without going to the gym but add in your workouts and that fat doesn't stand a chance!!!

what your trainer probably meant was that the more muscle you build the more fat you burn, but you shouldn't give cardio up all together. Cardio increases your lung capacity and improves your breathing.

ask your trainer to be more specific and explain why if you don't fully understand.

I would suggest using free weights if you can because you then use all those smaller muscles to stabilize and control the weight. it also helps to strengthen your core. Machines mean you don't have to think about your form since they only allow one movement. however the risk of injury is greatly reduced and if you're a beginner they are the way to go.

But the best way to combat fat is diet diet diet!!! I can lose a substantial amount of fat if my diet is clean and consistent without going to the gym but add in your workouts and that fat doesn't stand a chance!!!
Well said. Diet id the key to fat loss. Also agree on using free weights instead of machines.