• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hard gainer supplement

D

daftpunker

Hi Guys

I am a 21 year old hard gainer. last december i was 55kg, went up to about 62kg in around 2 months, taking Vital Strength Rapid Weight Gainer 3 times a day.

In the last 6 months i have stayed around the same weight, getting as high as 65kg, and have only been using the powder here and there, mainly after training.

It's great stuff, problem is Vital Strength have recently changed manufacturers or something, and now the stuff tastes like dirt. i know i'm being picky, but hey, if there is something equivalent out there that tastes better, then why not!!

I was paying $115 for 4kg, 60grams per serving.

Are there any good equivalent products out there that i could try instead? Tried searching but there is just too much on offer.

Cheers!

Hi daftpunker,

There are plenty of products out there, sorry, can't recommend any to you as I have no exrerience with any.

How's your diet though?
Can you give us an example of your daily diet?
Once you change it, you will not consider yourself a "hardgainer" anymore.

Hardgainers are people who don't eat enough, basically.

I used Prolab's N-Large 2 for a few months and it worked really well. It might be a bit expensive though.. can't remember. You could have a look at it. Another that I found to work really well was Optimum Nutrition's GAINER. Although i didn't really like the taste of it (a bit too sweet - could be because it has Sucralose (Splenda) in it [12.6mg per 100g]). Worked well though. Has about 22 serves per 3.6kg for approx. $85.. kinda expensive i guess. Oh another i like is Cytosport's Cyto Gainer - banana flavour was really nice! (Expensive i think). But you can look at them yourself to decide. That's about all i've had experience with. The cheapest I have used was Musashi Bulk: about $60 for 2.5kg recommended serving size is 60g. It worked surprisingly well! Also tasted alright. Obviously different products may effect people differently.

You should get a creatine product if you haven't already. BSN Cellmas - works well for me to gain mass. I will change after this tub is empty though, I have been using it for a while so I feel that I need a different product. Look around but i recommend getting an 'Ethyl Ester' type of creatine.

The best advice I can offer you though is: LIFT HEAVY AND EAT BIG! You have to make sure to consume a lot more calories than you expel in order to gain weight. Have 5-6 actual meals.. as though you are eating FIVE DINNERS per day.. High protein and carbs. If you do a lot of sports e.g. running, swimming, cardio exercise, etc. Try not to do too much. Supplements are exactly that - just to supplement more while you normally wouldn't have a chance/time to have a meal.

Hopefully my advice helps!

Hey, is it okay to double up on serving sizes for a weight gainer or protein powder?
Like, its a 30g serving, can you double that up to a 60g serving?

hey guys, thanks heaps for the responses, appreciate it, i will let you know how i go!

cheers :)

The Big Dell. I always have a double serving of protein afterworkouts. I am not taking a weightgainer but will be getting some fast digesting carbs soon for after a workout. If you are getting enough carbs and or protein from your diet you wont need to double the serving or even have it at all. I like to err on the safe(ish) side and have alot of protein.

I consider myself a hard gainer and I have been using Musashi BULK for the last 3 months or so and managed to put on a reasonable amount of weight (5-6kgs) It tastes pretty good and its fairly cheap

Hit up Chemist Warehouse, they have the 2.28kg tubs for $65 or there abouts

you need food not supplements. If you really want to take "gainer" just buy some dextrose from bigw (can be hard to get, generally in the home brew) or buy it from somewhere like bulk nutrients, no bull etc, same with your protein.

calorie dense food is your friend, especially fat. since ive started eating alot more fat ive gained 3kgs in the past 5 weeks. 3star beef mince, beef sausages (from a butcher if you want to eat less processed crap), bacon, whole egg mayo, olive oil.

Im eating less food than before and putting on weight. IMO today I didnt even eat much food but I managed to get over 4000calories in.

Just to give you an idea.

96hs1d.jpg

Last edited:
Shouldnt have any trouble getting 4.5kg of musashis bulk for less than $120. I thinking the 'balance' brand make a affordable gainer too. Cheapest option of course is buying from a conpany like bulk nutrients / protein n more / no bull supplements and getting your own protein and carbs separately and making your own gainer.

Why anyone would buy a bulking powder has me fucked.

Couldnt agree more, i cannot understand it for the life of me.. I eat bloody clean and strict and no where near as much as i would like to eat and yet have no problems whatsoever putting weight on, maintaining is a struggle for me as my body just wants to get heavier, im thinking these people either have some kind of insulin problem or just arent eating no where near what they think they are.

And yea holy thread revivals batman, why didnt you just start a new thread bradford?

I had the work experience dude tell me how he eats like a pig and always stuffs himself.

Well he eats no breakfast and normally a packet of chips for smoko. By then ive already eaten 2 decent meals:.. Lunch wasnt any better