• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sets and Reps

S

sara

My weight training routine seems to take forever Currently i am doing 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Is ok if I cut this down to 2 sets of 8-12 reps will this effect my gains?

sara, breebreerocks has the right idea, I'd also look at your overall routine and how many days your'e going to the gym, then try a split routine, working certain muscles on one day then the others on the next day.

I recommend a good workout can be done in 20 - 40 minutes by regulating the rest periods and cutting out alot of social interaction in between.

It will be a mute point replying without knowing your current training regime.
Can you post up your split?
How many days per week do you train?
What exercises are you doing?
What muscle groups are trained?
are you doing cardio in the same session?
You see how many variables there are, so more info is required?

Also, how long is forever? 30 mins, 45 mins, 1hr?

Cheers

Last edited:
I find lifting heavier and less reps is better I also do a split check out my training diary if you like :) It keeps my workouts really short but i still get the benifits of a longer workout.

Good point Shrek.

Sara - what exersizes are you doing? how long are you at the gym? how long are you resting between sets? etc etc. Can you post your workout? do you only have a limited time to do your workouts? or are you impaitient or bored maybe? and how much are you lifting?

for eg there's no point lifting relativly easy weights for 8 -12 reps for 2 sets, its not going to work the muscle enough.

I spend a good 1hr sometimes 1 and 1/2 hours at the gym 4 days a week and that includes half an hour of cardio. My partner who's a powerlifter will spend 3 hrs sometimes. it really depends on what you're doing and what you want to achieve.

The only other thing i can suggest is to superset but you don't want to do this all the time for every body part, you'll just exhaust yourself.