• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

cant build!!!

M

mondo

i dunno why but in the 3 years i hav trained, i cannot build muscle. i eat, i train, i am consistent, i swith things up wen needed, i try different volumes, diff styles, all that and no gains. what should i do? i wanna see a doc maybe sumthing is wrong. i had my testosterone checked and it was high (apparently), but i feel sumthing is holding me bak from growing. i am weak and small even after 3 years of consistent hard training and nutrition. any suggestions??

genetics , some ppl are blessed with the right genes , others aren't

Hi Mondo

You may be limited with your degree of muscle length, as it is muscle length that primarily determines potential size.

Still, having said that, virtually anybody can make very good gains if the training intensity is there with very brief workouts - and very infrequent ones, to allow for growth during the rest periods.

Most trainees train far too much. If you train a lot, you simply cannot produce the training intensity required for maximum growth stimulation. You should be aiming to increase your resistance when training, as size equals strength for the individual. If one doesn't get stronger, then size will not alter.

I hope this helps.

thanks man wat u mean 2 much?
i used to do 5 day split, now do 2 way split over 4 days. that cool??

The training is the easy part IMO. As Meshwork said, recovery is a big factor but I believe if you are not gaining size, you need to look to your diet.

Mondo

The body works as a unit. If you train hard on consecutive days then you are NOT allowing for growth, as you don't grow when you train - you only allow for possible growth when you you rest - and consecutive day training is hence NOT the correct method. In defence of this statement, research done in Deland Florida in the US back in the 1980s demonstrated that growth actually takes place - when rested and during rest - 30 to 40 hours after growth stimulation has taken place and that this growth occurs during a period of approximately 10 minutes...which means that you need a two day rest between workouts, with no exercise!

Based on the above, then, split routines are incorrect as they disturb your recovery ability too often; this is particularly more the case as you get bigger, where you tax your more or less set recovery ability even more. (So no, it's not cool).

Remember, if your resistance is not being increased and you're keeping the intensity high with your workouts, then you are clearly overtraining and not allowing for growth to take place as strength level reflects size for the individual. The only other explanation, presuming that you have a reasonable degree of muscle length, is that if you do allow for growth but are not growing, then you are not training with high enough intensity to stimulate growth. It's all clearly logical here.

Lastly, diet is only important if you decide to not eat for several days. A bodybuilder needs only square meals, like everybody else. The reason food supplements were invented is that once a set of weights were sold to you, you wouldn't be seen again (barbells last a long time). When you run out of protein powder, well, you've got to go back.

I hope this helps.

Mesh

what so i should train one day a week only?
on my split i was doing Mon-Chest, Tue-Back, Wed-Legs, Thur-Shoulders, Fri-Tris n Bis.
man explain please cause i am way confused.... i just wanna build muscle but am feelin so close to quitting after 3 years of time wasted gettin absolutly no where...and i dont wanna quit cause i will hate it but i am hating myself cause i am gettin no where.

Meshwork said:
Lastly, diet is only important if you decide to not eat for several days. A bodybuilder needs only square meals, like everybody else. The reason food supplements were invented is that once a set of weights were sold to you, you wouldn't be seen again (barbells last a long time). When you run out of protein powder, well, you've got to go back.
Mesh

Have to disagree with you there. The diet is the fuel to grow during the recovery period. Eating well is very important. Square meals for some means toast for breakfast, a hamburger at lunch time and spag bol for dinner. On this kind of a diet, you are not giving your body the optimium opportunity to grow. Protein is necessary - I am not saying you need protein powders, but they will assist you if your diet is lacking. Far to general a statement that diet is only important if you don't eat for several days IMO.

mondo said:
what so i should train one day a week only?
on my split i was doing Mon-Chest, Tue-Back, Wed-Legs, Thur-Shoulders, Fri-Tris n Bis.
man explain please cause i am way confused.... i just wanna build muscle but am feelin so close to quitting after 3 years of time wasted gettin absolutly no where...and i dont wanna quit cause i will hate it but i am hating myself cause i am gettin no where.
I think what he was referring to was once per week / body part. While this style of training can produce results, there are many that advicate push/pull routine twice per week or full body 3 x week in preference to once per week splits if you are a natural trainer.

Dan said:
I think what he was referring to was once per week / body part. While this style of training can produce results, there are many that advicate push/pull routine twice per week or full body 3 x week in preference to once per week splits if you are a natural trainer.

well atm i do push pull twice per week thing (so 4 days at gym) i also used to do 3 day fullbody split, which yielded no results. wat the hell is with my laim was body???

and diet wise i know the basics like6-8 meals a day eat every 2 hours, and things like tuna and rice, chicken and veges, steak and salad lots of salad cause it mostly water).

Next question then - can you post your actual program, exercises, sets & reps. Is your program based around compounds? Are you getting adequate recovery for the volume / frequency you are training. For alot of natural trainers, sometimes less is more. I'll post up an article for you to have a look at also.

Training secrets for size and strength gains (for naturals)

1. If you are natural, you must get stronger to get bigger. If, over time, you are not adding weight to the bar, you are not growing.

2. Training a body part less than 2X/week will not give you optimal gains. An upper/lower split done Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri is close to optimal for most. Full body twice a week can work very well. Once every 5th day is the least frequently I would ever recommend a natural train. You'll get less sore training more frequently and you'll grow better. Save once/week body part training for pro bodybuilders (read: steroid users) and the genetically elite.

3. When in doubt, do less volume, not more. You don't need a zillion sets to stimulate hypertrophy, the bullshit written in the magazines to the contrary. If you can't get it done in 4-8 hard sets (sometimes less, rarely more) you need to quit training like a pussy in the gym. I had a friend who sold supplements one time who kept asking me to design him a product that would really work. I told him to make a supplement that would make people work hard in the gym and watch their diets. He thought I was joking.

4. Generally, basic compound exercises are best but isolation stuff has its place. Same for the machines versus free weights 'argument': both have their place. Anybody who tell you that you MUST do a certain exercise is arguing from an emotional stance, not a physiological one.

5. If you think you can gain muscle without eating sufficient food or calories, you should quit bodybuilding and take up something easier, like golf. You can't magically make muscle out of nothing, you need calories and protein to grow. If you can't buckle down to eat enough on a consistent basis, you won't grow an ounce of muscle. And spare me the excuses that you're not hungry or your schedule won't allow it. It's about priorities, eat more or stay skinny.

6. Most hard gainers train like idiots and don't eat enough.

7. Diets should be based around whole foods first, supplements second. Red meat is a great source of zinc, iron, B12 and protein. Not to mention who knows how many other trace nutrients that are involved in optimal human physiology. Eat it every day. Every time you hear about a new magic compound, 99 times out of 100 it's found in some whole food that you're probably not eating. Eat whole foods with a shit pile of veggies every day.

8. There is no singular best protein, each one has pros and cons. Generally, I think casein is better for dieting, whey for around workouts, whole proteins the rest of the time. You can't beat milk (and the dairy calcium has benefits on body fat). I think mixing proteins at a given meal is a good idea to eliminate any shortcomings of one. I think food combining (or protein rotation) is a lot of hippy holistic bullshit.

Dieting secrets for fat loss:

1. You can't magically lose weight unless you eat less or burn more calories with activity. Not unless you take drugs and those either make you eat less or burn more anyhow.

2. Don't bitch about how much you hate dieting or exercise. You can either change your diet and activity patterns, or you can stay fat. Those are your two options, except for drugs.

3. The key to losing weight and keeping it off is the following

a. Change your eating habits: so that you're eating less

b. Change your activity patterns: so that you're expending more calories

c. Repeat: Keep doing this over a long period of time.

d. Forever: Newsflash, you don't EVER get to go back to your old eating habits unless you want to get fat again. To maintain weight loss means maintaining at least part of the changes you made to a and b.

4. All diet books, no matter what line of bullshit they sell you, are working in terms of a-d. Cutting all of the carbohydrates out of your diet will generally make you eat less, so will cutting out all of the fat, so do diets that change your eating habits in one fashion or another. Some books go the activity route. At the end of the day, even if they tell you that you don't have to eat less to lose weight, they will trick you into doing it one way or another.

Note: My job, as diet book author, is to turn a-d into a 300 page book. Most diet books do it with 150 pages of recipes.

Everything else that you may come across, including my various gibberings in my books, are just details on the above. But at a fundamental level, until you are dealing with that 1% of 1% of trainees (elite athletes, bodybuilders trying to get to 5% body fat without muscle loss), those secrets are about all you need to know.

The equation is this:

Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.

Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets, because they don't exist.

Written by Lyle McDonald

dude i follow those guidlines for building muscle. wat am i supposed to do?? could i hav sumthing wrong with me??

mondo said:
dude i follow those guidlines for building muscle. wat am i supposed to do?? could i hav sumthing wrong with me??

After viewing your program, you need to re-read point 3.

Very interesting. Thanks very much Dan ( especially) and Meshwork for taking the time to share your knowledge. Patrick

I wonder if you have to always get rid of extra fat before you can build muscles. some people told me that I have to prioritise thes goals. Is that true? anyone? Thanks. Patrick

Hey Patrick,
You do not have to get rid of excess fat to build muscle, but you will need to get rid of excess fat if you want to better see what you are building. A sensible, balanced diet is usually good enough for the average joe to achieve both goals. Changing you eating habits to eliminate unnecessary "junk" calories combined with weights will see you losing body fat, & the required protein etc in the diet will build muscle. So unless you are an advanced lifter who's needs are different, I would not worry too much about. Eat well, train hard, give the body time to recover.

Just wondering, what is your common daily intake of food? How old are you? Are you going to compete, or just want some decent size?
Just quickly...
From about 22 years old I gorged myself silly and trained my arse off and found it hard also to put on some decent size. I overtrained and my diet was shit. I did manage to get to a decent size but was I spose you could say too fat. Over the years though I did learn to train right and also eat right. Persist and learn, you will go ok. I still say though and a lot will disagree with me, keep eating all day and dont stop, just make sure you eat decent. What supplements are you taking??

tayz

yes i am22 dude, n i do wis to one day compete, but seriosuly i know i will never get to that level i am too weak and look pathetic, i really hate myself and my body at the moment, i been trianinf since i was 19 and i m still no bet trainers or anter off, andi look like i never been to a gym, yet i am conisstnaly training and eatting. i eat a lot to and dont gain and if i do its genrally fat. it really p*sses me off!
how old are y tayz?? help me out man, some one please help me?? any trainers or anyone please help me out???
ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT??? I AM AT MY WITS END!! i jus wanna gain sum decent muscle mass,thats all i dont wana look like a weak b*tch with twig arms and a fat gut any more!!!

Mondo,
If your serious about getting some answers post your DIET and TRAINING ROUTINES up then we can provide you with some usefull feedback.

Cheers
K