• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

what is a hardgainer?

J

jeffjeff

new to the bodybuilding scene , doing a bit of reading around and keep on coming across the term hardgainer , seen a few workouts for a hardgainer but never seen the meaning of what a hardgainer is
taking a guess at it , i would say that a hard gainer , is someone who finds it hard to gain , lol , is that right ?

thanks in advance
jeffjeff

welcome jeffjeff
and yep you are right , a hardgainer finds it hard to gain muscle mass

Hardgainers, he/she is born with
no special genetic 'gifts' which enable them to pack on muscle mass quickly. Such people cannot gain lots of strength using VOLUME training, but a hardgainer can make impressive gains using less frequent workouts with considerably less volume.

a hardgainer is the naturally skinny person, who no matter what he or she eats, always seem to remain the same body weight.

hhmm great , well that explains it , i'm naturally skinny and find it hard to put on weight , my workouts seem not to work , so any help in getting a routine sorted out that will work

thanks

Squats
Deadlifts
Bench Presses
Overhead Presses
Rows and Pull-Ups
Bar Dips

Bench Press 2 x 12
Squat 1 x 20 (these would be the dreaded "breathing squats", not a low weight/high rep move)
Pullover 1 x 20
5 minute rest
Bent over rows 2 x 15

The goal would be to adjust the weights for each exercises, so that you had to fight for the last reps

or another

day1
* Squat 1 x 20
* Bench press 2 x 6
* Overhead Press 2 x 10

day2
* Stiff-legged Deadlift 2 x 12
* Chins 2 x 8 (with added weight)
* Calf raises 3 x 15

train at most twice per week and even less if results are still not being obtained

Endomorph - Gains muscle easily ... but often finds it difficult to cut the fat

Ectomorph - Real hardgainer ... usually thin, finds it difficult to put on muscle mass and fat

Mesomorph - Luckiest of em all - Puts on muscle easily, puts on fat easier then a ectomporph .. can easily maintain a muscular physique easily

some ppl claim to be hardgainers because they don't realize how hard it is to actually put on muscle
but some people are genitically doomed when it comes to putting on muscle. Those with tiny frames, bone structure etc are never going to be huge and do find it extremely diificult to put on muscle. These people are the only 'true' hardgainers.

Heavy Bench Press, Heavy Deadlifts and Squats are the 3 Big Muscle Building Exercises. Ensure that you perform them without fail. These Multi-joint exercises involves the largest Muscle Groups forcing your body to grow

Perform 8-12 sets per body part and keep rep range between 4-7.

Exercise each body part not more than once a week and each training session should last for not more than 60 minutes.

To quote Lyle McDonald, most hardgainers train like idiots & don't eat enough. Everyone says they eat, eat, eat, when in fact their diet is rubbish & their program terrible. I know guys (like me) that started training with a body shape that they have to run around in the shower to get wet. Everyone can achieve their genetic potential with the right knowledge, dedication & work ethic. Hardgainer is a term that only applies when you compare yourself to others. The only person you should be competing with is the bloke in the mirror.

Ausbb said:
some ppl claim to be hardgainers because they don't realize how hard it is to actually put on muscle
but some people are genitically doomed when it comes to putting on muscle. Those with tiny frames, bone structure etc are never going to be huge and do find it extremely diificult to put on muscle. These people are the only 'true' hardgainers.

Heavy Bench Press, Heavy Deadlifts and Squats are the 3 Big Muscle Building Exercises. Ensure that you perform them without fail. These Multi-joint exercises involves the largest Muscle Groups forcing your body to grow

Perform 8-12 sets per body part and keep rep range between 4-7.

Exercise each body part not more than once a week and each training session should last for not more than 60 minutes.

I love your line about most hardgainers not realising it is hard work to put on muscle! Totally agree your program should be based around compounds - I would also throw Military Press, Pull ups, rows & dips into the mix as well, & if you are up for it, Farmers Walks are a great exercise.

I have to disagree that once per week training is the only way to go for a natural trainer. I have had good results from this kind of training, but equally full body 3 x week has worked just as well if not better. As for rep ranges, I don't think there is a magic formula.

"jj",
Check out the books "Brawn" and "Beyond Brawn" by Stuart McRobert they both have some really good info for hardgainers (and a lot of crap as well). After reading "Beyond Brawn" it change my way of thinking, training and after applying the principles mentioned in the book I managed to go from 78kgs to 102kgs over a couple of years. Also run a search on Bill Stars "5x5" principle which I am just about to start after a lenghty lay off.
In a nutshell as a hardgainer and newb to training you should;
- focusing on the 3 key lifts (dead, squat and bench) these hit the biggest muscles of the body and if they grow so will everything else, forget your isolation exercises ie dumbell curls.
- ensure that at EVERY session you are adding weight to your lifts even if its half a kg otherwise your not gaining you're maintaining
- be in tune with your body, if you haven't FULLY recovered from your last session give it an extra day
- above all eat anything that moves, if it doesn't move....push it!

I hope this helps