• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New to muscle building.. need help on supplements

A

aussiebloke

Hi,

I'm pretty new to using weights, im 18 years old almost 19 approx 175cm and weigh 70kg.

I used to only use barbells for a limited time. I have quiet strong leg muscles, calfs and quads thys from soccer. I also have had a six pack which comes and goes between soccer seasons training. But, i am really looking to bulk up my arms and pecks as i have fairly small and flat chest and arms. I really want to build these muscles up fast.

At home i have a bench press and dumbells and some weights but im struggling to even lifts very basic amounts. I dont really have much knowledge either in foods or supplements to take to bulk up. I have researched best exercises, like bench, inclined bench, flys, bench dumbells etc but im unsure of a suitable weight i should use and a how to make an appropriate plan to bulk up? I have quiet a busy lifestyle so i dont really know how regular i should work out.

I know basically you need lots of sleep and water but i dont really know what that constitutes for my age group or what someone my age should be lifting to start with or work towards? Im not so much concerned with strength more building muscle at this stage.. I find it strange cos i can always develop my abs from crunches and situps really easily but im totally unsure on my chest and arms...

I am really a begineer so if you have any information it woukld be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Bro begin with the basics such as bench press, incline db chest press and also reemember to work ur back as well, so that back and chest develop evenly, and also to encourage growth. As for arms I struggle with mine so I aint go much advice there.

Maybe you could use the following tho:

Chest:
Flat Barbell Bench Press
Dumbell Incline Chest Press
Flat Bench DB Flys

Back:
Bent Over Barbell Rows
Single Arm Dumbell Rows
If you hav a bar that you can hold on to, do pull ups (over hand grip) for back to work your lats
Barbell Deadlifts (for lower back)

Biceps:
DB Bicep Curls/DB Hammer Curls
Barbell Bicep Curls
DB Concentration Curls

Triceps:
Close grip bench press
Lying overhead extensions
DB Tricep Kickbacks

Try doing like 4 sets of 8-10 reps so that you really feel it burning. Also remember training triceps is just as important as training biceps when building arms as the tricep makes up around 75% of the arm.

Hope this helps out bro.

Hi,

the above looks good for a routine but in relation to your supplement question i was the same, started off really lean, though after using carb products mixed with proteins i put on alot of helathy weight, i started off on Body Ripped Carb Blast and Optimum Nutrition proteins from elitebody.com.au

It takes a while to get used to weights if you are new to it. I would go with what you are comfortable with doing 10-12 reps (repetitions) to condtion your muscles, so dont worry about strggling with the basics as you will gradually develope your upper body strength (just remember to slightly increase weight each week, again, with weight you can do for 10 reps). The thing to consider here is not to try and go heavy str8 away as this could lead to injury and b4 you know it, you can train for a long time.
Once your muscles are conditioned (which could take min 3 weeks for some pple), you can then focus on try to bulk up by going heavy weights (NOTE: your heavy and someone else's heavy aint the same, so go with what u would consider heavy) and low reps, so anywhere arnd the 8 rep mark.
Mondo's routine is pretty good, he's incorporated the bulk building blocks:
* Barbell bench Press
* Deadlifts (which work your whole back if one correctly)
* Squats (if u were thinking of doing legs)
Always slip in one of these in your work out.

And as he also pointed out, triceps are the ones that make your arms look bigger, so train them equally with your biceps. try super setting them to get a good pumped feel e.g. DB Bicep Curls x10 and straight away do DB Tricep Kickbacks x10).

As for how many times to workout, 3 days a week; alternating e.g. mon, wed, fri or whichever you prefer (to let your muscles grow on resting days).

But the most IMPORTANT thing for bulking up is your diet; you have to eat like a monster
Eat more carbs:
Lots of pasta, sweet potatoes etc

Proteins:
Egg whites-can get them from health food shops
Skinless Chicken Breasts, i go through 6 a week
Protein powder - dont burn your money with all the expensive flashy ones, any whey protein concentrate-WPC (more for building muscle) or Whey protein Isolate WPI, more expensive (more for toning up)

Fats:
Flaxseed oil - comes in capsule form or str8 in a bottle

Hope this answers most of your questions.....

good work suga u covered most of the nutrition stuff!
thanks for the complement to bro lol.
hope this helps anyone who reads this thred. good luck all!