• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

3 Main tips for beginners

T

TinTin

I hope this helps some people in trying to understand why they aren't gaining on their current routine

- As a beginner,
avoid isolation exercises like the plague. - This is one of the hardest concepts that beginners have to grasp when I tell them this. What I mean by this is, do NO: bicep curls, tricep extensions, calf raises, lateral raises. WHY? Because to get big, you have to see the bigger picture. Biceps are a TINY muscle, why doing countless bicep curls, do you really think your body, as a unified mass, is going to grow significantly? NO. Three or perhaps four exercises are all you need as a beginner. SQUAT (the most important exercise of them all - entire lower body and back), DEADLIFT (a close second - entire back, and lower body), BENCH PRESS (entire upper body, and back). I guaruntee, if you concentrate on these exercises, with an optional CLEAN + PRESS day (perhaps when your more confident), you will blow up in mass.

- Overtraining: Don't do more than (at the absolute maximum) 12 sets on a certain body part per week..., and you don't grow IN the gym, you grow OUT of the gym When you intensely work out a muscle group, you are causing micro-tears to the muscle (hypertrophy). So essentially, in the gym, you cause damage to your muscles, they are inferior as you leave the gym than when they were when you got there. The important thing to note here is that you grow outside the gym, in the reparation of these tears. In my opinion, keep volume low (i.e keep the number of sets for major muscle groups to 12 sets per week), and keep intensity high (this means busting your gut SO HARD, in EVERY set except warmups), for a maximum of 8 reps. Remember, we are going for a dramatic transformation of the body here, we aim to shock the body and really kick it hard into a muscle building and mass building state.

- Nutrition, particularly AFTER the workout: Most people finish their workout, have a chat with their mates, maybe shower and sauna, drive home, perhaps stop in on the supermarket, then think about cooking some food about 1 1/2 hrs after working out. NO!! You have a window of opportunity here, where your muscles are so depleted of energy and nutrients, that they are craving some nutrition. Cortisol (the enemy catabolic hormone - which burns muscle) is high, so as you leave the gym feeling pumped and you feel like you have done loads of good, you are literally burning away in your skin. You are getting smaller. You need to exit this catabolic state ASAP, how do you do it? Post workout nutrition. You need to inject your muscles super quickly with amino acids and carbohydrate to refeed the depleted glycogen stores and kill cortisol that has just been created by the workout. Most people do this by having a protein shake, which is 25 - 50 grams of 'whey' protein (a fast protein fraction of milk), ideally with some HIGH GI (think sugar) carbohydrate. Personally, i go for 50 grams of pure dextrose powder, with 2 scoops of whey protein mix (Optimum nutrition chocolate protein), within 15 minutes of finishing my workout. THIS IS CRUCIAL. If you aren't willing to have a protein shake, have some lean chicken already cooked in your gym bag, and some white bread, eat it immediately after working out.

I hope this proves useful to some people beginning training, To get big, you have to train big, eat big and think of the overall condition. Don't get caught up on minor fat gain, or do these little irrelevant exercises like bicep curls. Lift strong, with legs being your focus (maximising your natural hormone release and therefore muscle gain), and don't neglect them.

This is what I have started doing.

bench press
squats
dead lifts
upright rows
seated dumb-bell press
alternate biceps curls

Are you saying I should remove biceps and military press and focus on the others?

The military press is fine.

You could do close grip chin ups and get rid of the biceps curls for now.
The Chin ups will really work your lats and biceps hard at the same time.

What muscles are you trying to target with the upright rows?

The upright rows also hit the side delts.
I would drop the upright rows.
Heavy deadlifts will be enough for your traps right now.

What about triceps exercises?

Do dips or close grip bench press, or both.
Close grip bench press on a smith machine with decline bench is a good one.

Everything I've read and all the advice I'm getting from my mates who have gotten past beginner, say that a beginner should do just compound exercises, especially:

Squats
Deads
Flat Bench
Millitary Press
Either Barbell rows or Power cleans
Dips
Chins

Nothing else, just concentrate on those until you get to the advanced beginner/intermediate stage where things aren't progressing workout to workout anymore. Then you need to assess whats weak and whats strong and start working on those things, and setup a workout routine that can continue to shock your body and still allow you to rest enough for growth.

My mates who are at the intermediate stage (I don't really know anyone who is an expert athlete or bodybuilder stage all my mates are in the intermediate kind of range, no freaks) who did the compound way rather than split say they got there much much faster (one in around a year and a half). Those who did random things or just did a split or "normal" routine (what ever that is) say its taken them years and years to get there, one says it took him 7 yrs and hes only just able to lift 1.5x bodyweight for squats now.

Guess ill stick to this compound thing.

My goal is to be able to bench press 80kg easily. Once I do that I am going to focus on making all my muscles even in size or more propotioned the way they should look if thats the way to say it and then focus on endurance.

My mates who are at the intermediate stage (I don't really know anyone who is an expert athlete or bodybuilder stage all my mates are in the intermediate kind of range, no freaks) who did the compound way rather than split say they got there much much faster (one in around a year and a half). Those who did random things or just did a split or "normal" routine (what ever that is) say its taken them years and years to get there, one says it took him 7 yrs and hes only just able to lift 1.5x bodyweight for squats now.

What do you mean by doing the compound way rather than a split routine? Are you trying to say full body routine over split?

I think that once you have a few months of training in, then a split routine is fine. You can still do just compound exercise with a split routine.

What do you mean by doing the compound way rather than a split routine? Are you trying to say full body routine over split?

I think that once you have a few months of training in, then a split routine is fine. You can still do just compound exercise with a split routine.

I think its fair to say that MOST people who do a split end up with a few isolation exercises in each day. Like I said those of my mates who did compound ONLY exercises using a full body workout got to intermediate much quicker than those who either started with a split program or who incorporated a bunch of isolation exercises.

Sure its fine to do what ever you want really, after the first couple of months of conditioning you are prepared for reasonable training. But so far I've seen that the fastest way to gain is full body workout using compound exercises and don't stuff around doing any isolation exercises. Sure it probably won't work for everyone, but it seems to have worked for a wide range of body types. I suppose it really does depend on what your goals are.

I personally think the full body workout is good because it stimulates overall body growth every workout. It also means you aren't turning up to a training session with one part of the body more broken down than another. To put that into perspective, think about what people doing a split workout generally do (not everyone but in general) they train one area of the body basically to exhaustion. Now with a mon tue thur fri split, lets say like shrek you do back / delts / traps / hammy on monday and shoulders / calves / abs on tues. Hes probably an intermediate, so perhaps hes not able to really do enough damage to affect his workout on the tuesday, if I or any other beginner, however, were to do it I think you'de find that your back would absolutely cain while doing the shoulder work, as your back has to support the weight as well if your doing dumbell press or millitary press or whatever. I personally think this limits your lift capabillity and opens you up to injury. Once you are "battle hardened" and need to work out just one area a day to really get a good workout then sure, its proven to work. Until then though, I think best gains come from full body workout with rest days in between.

my 2c - or perhaps $2 hahahahaha. Feel free to shoot me down in flames :)

Last edited:
Really depends on how intensely you train.

You just can't do 3 full body workouts/week at maximum intensity incorporating all the big lifts such as:

Deadlifts
Squats
Bench press
Military press
Chins
Dips
Rows

You would be burnt out in no time.
Your CNS just can't handle it.

I'm talking about intense training to promote muscle growth, straining like your head is going to explode from the pressure, not a relaxed workout where you just complete your reps for the day.

But as you say, diferent things work for different people, just have to see what works best for you.

Really depends on how intensely you train.

You just can't do 3 full body workouts/week at maximum intensity incorporating all the big lifts such as:

Deadlifts
Squats
Bench press
Military press
Chins
Dips
Rows

You would be burnt out in no time.
Your CNS just can't handle it.

I'm talking about intense training to promote muscle growth, straining like your head is going to explode from the pressure, not a relaxed workout where you just complete your reps for the day.

But as you say, diferent things work for different people, just have to see what works best for you.

For the moment I'm doing
A: Squat, Bench, Dead
B: Squat, Press, Clean

As I said in the training diary the only thing that's intense atm is getting the bar to my shoulders to do the squats. But I started at a low weight knowing my equipment would take a while to come. I've made progress every workout until now. As a beginner you don't HAVE to train like your going to explode for quite a while. The results just happen because the body is unconditioned, eventually yeah you gotta lift like a mofo.

I'll be moving to

A: Squat, Bench, Dead, Chins
B: Squat, Press, Clean/Row, Dips

I think for a beginner this is a good setup, only compound exercises, each training session covers most major muscles in the body. Sure you might not be able to lift max weight in any one area by the end of the week once you really start hammering it, but I think its better for the whole body to be slightly worn and you can't lift any more or only go up a small amount rather than your normal, than to have strong arms and weak back for the day or what ever.

Previously when I've trained (albeit with heavier weights and at a gym) doing a split workout I've felt seriously tired after only a few weeks (I was training 4-5days a week). This time around I actually feel better each workout. I think the CNS is much better equiped to handle a full body workout a few times a week, than smashing one part of your body 4 times a week. But your right, whatever works for you is what works for you, everyone is different. Perhaps this just suits me well.

wait... r u saying you only need a couple of months to be able to squat 1.5 your own body weight? If i could squat my own body weight id be happy.

wait... r u saying you only need a couple of months to be able to squat 1.5 your own body weight? If i could squat my own body weight id be happy.

No, I'm saying after a couple of months you are far more conditioned, the body requires more stimulus than just doing 'something' to actually progress. This is the point at which you actually have to start lifting like you mean it.

At this point you "could" change to something else, but like I said all the people I know who've continued the beginner program till they hit 1.5x BW squat got there quicker, than those who changed to a split after they thought things were starting to get heavy.

I weigh 90kg atm. I'm NOT fit atm. In the last couple of months I've gone from just lifting the bar to lifting 70kg for squats, its a damn long way till I'll be lifting 135kg, but things are starting to feel heavy now, so progress will start to slow down I assume.

Im doing dumb-bell squats at the moment cause the bar hurts my neck/back. I will eventually run out of weight, does anyone have any ideas how to overcome this?

Im doing dumb-bell squats at the moment cause the bar hurts my neck/back. I will eventually run out of weight, does anyone have any ideas how to overcome this?

Man up and use the barbell. If you are using the correct technique of squeezing your shoulders together you will be able to support the weight without too much trouble. If your back is hurting during the squat then your doing something wrong technique wise.

Do one legged squats, or pre-fatigue you legs with leg extensions.

Many ways:
Get more weights.
Do them one legged, as has been mentioned.
Get a safety squat bar, or use a pad or manta ray with barbell.
Get a trap bar and do deads keeping hips low, same as dumbbell squat.

Good luck.