• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Cycling] Mountain Bike Orienteering

T

trail

does any take part or has taken part in Mountain Bike Orienteering ?

while i haven't done it on a mountain bike , but have done it on foot
made for a great day , exploring and finding new areas that i never knew about

What is Orienteering?

The aim in orienteering is to navigate around a course with a series of checkpoints called controls. The course is marked on a map provided by the organisers. The controls are placed on features such as track and creek junctions, a fence bend or by a distinctive boulder. With he site being marked with an orange and white flag which has a hole punch attached to mark your card. to show you have been there.

The skill in orienteering is in choosing the best route between controls — while beginners' courses may not offer choice,but as you progress up in the levels you will learn to decide between options — perhaps over a hill or a longer route which goes round it.

Orienteering is a Sport for All

Orienteering events provide a range of courses to cater for all participants. With the courses being graded by age, length and by the amount of navigation required.

There are shorter courses aimed at the beginners and also for younger people; these follow "handrail features" (tracks, creeks, fences) through to more advanced courses catering for the more experienced which have more using more contour features.

Orienteering provides a special environment, in that the same event caters for all ages, for social and recreational participants as well as the more competitive, for families who can all go to the same event. If you want you can do the course in pairs or in a small group. A special attraction is that every course is different.

What do you need to start Orienteering?

Clothing well you can wear jeans or tracksuit pants with a T-shirt and pair of runners (remember to bring a change of clothes as well as a bottle of drink and a snack),orienteering maps,
Orienteering maps are made specially for bush navigation and show much more detail than most other maps. Long blue lines across the map with arrowheads show the direction of magnetic north. A scale bar shows the scale of the map — usually, 1 cm equals 150 metres (1:15,000) or 1 cm equals 100 metres (1:10,000).

Different types of features have characteristic coloured symbols as follows:

* vegetation — white is for average forest, while green patches are for thicker bush which will impede progress, and yellow areas are for open land;
* water features — are marked in blue and these could include creeks even if then are dry;
* earth features — are marked in brown and they include contour lines which show the shape of the land, and other things such as earth walls and termite mounds;
* roads, rocks and man-made features — any mapped rocks and all man-made features (roads, tracks, fences, powerlines, buildings, etc) are all marked as black.

haven't done it on a bike , but done something similar , i guess the new age version called geocaching , using gps

hhmm quite interesting , i might try and organize something like for the summer months , should be quite fun
anymore info on this geocaching ?

jasmin said:
haven't done it on a bike , but done something similar , i guess the new age version called geocaching , using gps
Love it! Best sport ever!

loretta said:
jasmin said:
Love it! Best sport ever!

i don't know if i'd call it a sport ,i'd call it more of a recreation, but it is great fun

geocaching is locating a hidden container of items through the use of supplied geographic coordinates and a GPS (global positioning system) device. In a way, a geocache may be thought of as a very short-term time capsule.

The cache is stored in a waterproof container. Contents include the following:

* A log book is the most important item in the geocache . It allows each person or group of people who locate the cache to record the date on which they found it, their names, e-mail addresses (if desired) and any comments for those who may find it in the future. This keeps a running history of the geocache for all successful participants to read.

* A letter of explanation of what geocaching is all about is another crucial item . This is particularly beneficial in the event that someone stumbles upon the geocache by accident. The letter explains the concept and rules of geocaching and requests that those who find it not remove or disturb it in any way.

* Other items are basically at the discretion of the person who initially placed the cache and of subsequent participants who want to add to it. Typically these may include inexpensive gifts for those who succeed in finding the cache

The giveaway items in the cache are just for fun, since the main objective in geocaching is not a material "prize" but the journey undertaken to get there. The most significant factor in placing a geocache, , is the location you choose. It should ideally be a beautiful, enjoyable outdoor spot that participants will feel rewarded for having visited.

some good info there , would make for a great way to spend an afternoon , the geocaching thing i am liking a nifty way to find new places not really to fond of traveling great distances to find a cache just mainly locally

Mountain Bike Orienteering is a time based sport , similar to that of rally driving , the maps you get issued at the start of the event have the course laid out

The rganisers of an MTB-O eventprior to the event will walk around set up a whole series of little flags attached to hole punches.

You arrive at the venue with your MTB, helmet, water, tube, pump etc. You can arrive at time that allows you to start within the start window

You pay your entry fee and get given a map . You won't need a GPS, or a Scout certification to read the map. You shouldn't even need a compass unless you really screw up. If you can read a street map, you're okay.Maps are usually smaller scale and less detailed than standard orienteering maps. You decide on which course you want to do (there are various different distances available), look at the master map, and copy the locations of the little flags (or as the correct term is 'controls') for your course on to your map.

You then head off to the starting area, and you're given a starting time. When it's your turn, you pedal off and look for the first flag. When you get there, you use the hole punch which will be tied to the flag, to punch a hole in your card.

The aim is to visit the controls on your course in the correct order in the shortest time than anyone else

* 'Glad' zip lock bags are useful for protecting the map, particularly if you have to shove it in a pocket.

* Bring your own pen and perhaps a highlighter.

* Longer courses usually have more challenging riding conditions (ie rough and/or steep) and trickier navigation options than shorter courses.

* NEVER assume that someone else knows where they're going, and follow. If in doubt, stop and check the map

* Be able to fix a puncture

have only recently gotten into Mountain Bike Orienteering , makes for a great recreation , have taken part in both bushland and also urban , which were conducted by a few other mtb'ers that i have met