• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

weight training

J

jayco

hi all
just wondering how much weight do i start lifting with and when do I know I am actually working the muscles and not just going through the motions.

you're the only one that can answer those questions. you just have to pickup some weights, and start using them seeing if they're too heavy, too light, or just right.

don't worry if you're curling 5kg and the woman next to you is curling 10kg i know the male ego thing gets in the way but just remember its not about how you compare to her...its about what you can do now, and what you're working towards.

you'll know you're working the muscles because you'll feel it. the slight burning at the end of the set the slight stiffness the next day.

gibbs is right, you just need to pick up weights and figure out what is right for your, what you feel comfortable with lifting

Another good way to make sure it is working is to take each set to volitional muscle fatigue or if you are able to, perform each set to failure, where you can't lift anymore

but remember the first thing to cocentrate on is to get your technique correct on all the major (or compound) exercises.

Squats
Bench Press
Deadlifts or Romanian Deadlifts
Military Press
Bent-over-rows/Inverted Rows
Lunges

Once your form is perfect; you will be way ahead of the game. Get a trainer if you have to. I used to think I knew everything until I gotten a trainer. He showed me the correct technique, taught me about progression, how I generally should eat etc.