• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Starting Weights?

jon

Well Im 17, 6 foot 3 and a lil under 70kgs so in short im a lanky bastard. So i thought id do something about it and yesterday when out and got my self a 20kg dumbell set.

I'm just wondering how i should use them. Im trying to incourage muscle development basically. So what kinda routine should i do? Like how many kg's on each dumbell how many curls per rep, how many reps and how often. Thanks very much for any direction for a weights n00b....

Start with a weight which you are comfortable doing 3-5 sets of 10 on, then slowly move up.

Typically, this is around 7KGx2+dumbell, and keep increase the weights. Impossible for anyone to really tell you what to start on without knowing you.

Just a quick tip with bicep curls... make sure you're sitting down... and lock your shoulder into you leg so you don't cheat.

Try other excersises as well... unless you want to have massive biceps and tiny tiny everything else.

Dumbell shoulder press... Dumbell Arm Raises... Incline Dumbell Press... even go with the 'sit your arms on your legs with your wrists poking out over the ends and work on your forearms so you can look like Popeye' excersise... I forget what you call it