• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can anyone give any tips?

F

flabbylady

Hello,

Im an ex-gymnast with a health problem that prevents me from doing alot of cardio. Im able to lift weights though. I can't use a treadmill but am willling to give a rowing machine and exercise bike a go.

Since quitting gymnastics and being unable to do a lot of cardio. I have gained around 30kg. Im aiming at the moment to just lose 5kgs. I have been told to aim small first. And I know this to be a good way to start. Hello I was a health nut before.

Im overweight and flabby now. I have a mesomoph shape with the ability to put on weight easily. I have a husband who can eat anything he wants. He has a medical condition and needs to put on weight so he of course stocks the cupboards with, marshmallows, chips, lollies, chocolate, potatoes, pastas etc. I find if I stay away from the lollies and just eat normally I even put on weight eating the potatoes and pastas.

I know I need to eat salads when he is eating the potatoes and pastas. But I find that the fresh vegs go off before I get through them. As he does NOT eat salads or many vegs.

What I want to know is. What is the best way to help loose weight and tone up without lots of cardio???

Also has anything changed since I have been to a gym. From what I knew ladies lift lightweights but do heaps of reps.

Can anyone give any tips?

For once Im not a young girl saying the following and really not having a problem. Im being deadly honest with you all with the following paragraph.

I have jelly thighs, wobbly thighs, cellulite everywhere, the same on my bum, I am beginning to get a stomach now. If I catch sight of myself in the changerooms in a store I think Im sharing the cubicle with a sumo wrestler.

My husband thinks Im fine, but I hate looking like this. I dont envy to be size 8 and twiggy. Just toned and nice. Even if that size is a 14 and toned.

Something has got to give. Im going to the gym today and I will continue as I knew how. High reps on light weights.

thanks
flabbylady.

give the rowing machine and exercise bike a go , don't really need to tell you but take it easy don't push yourself too hard

pastas should be fine, just avoid processed starchy carbohydrates. Processed carbohydrates make you retain water and cause bloat. If you really have to have pasta, make sure to avoid the creamy, oily, excessively fatty sauces and toppings im for pasta cooked with a tomato-based sauce. just watch your portions

lighter weight and high rep is just an industry myth ,heavier weight with moderate repetitions (8-12 reps) is the way to go, it comes down to comfort level , if your health problems get in the way of the heavier weights than go with the low weight high reps

Last edited:
The rower is one of the best cardio work outs that you can do! I love it- it works your abs and legs without all of the impact of a treadmill. Bikes can be great as well- look at the results people get from Spin classes!

Perhaps you should consider speaking with a personal trainer. If you have had problems in the past that mean you have to be careful about how you exercise, you should look at getting some advice.

As for your husband, my partner has a terrible diet. He has just learnt to accept that if he is going to eat poorly, with lots of high sugar, high processed carb meals, he is just going to have to prepare them for himself. If I cook it, I am too tempted to eat it. Its tough, but I have lost 25 kgs and kept it off for a number of years. I will not let anyone take me back to where I was, even someone who I love dearly!