• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

running more than 6.4km a day could be dangerous for your health.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
[h=1]How much exercise is too much? More than 6.4km a day for runners, study shows[/h]
PUBLISHED ON AUG 13, 2014 2:56 AM
2828 256 0 0PRINTEMAIL

Researchers studying 2,400 heart attack survivors found that the more exercise they did, the less risk they faced of dying from heart disease - up to a point. The benefits began to decline among those who ran more than 48km a week. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Running more than 6.4km a day could be dangerous to your health, according to a study out Tuesday that examined how much exercise is too much.
Researchers focused on 2,400 heart attack survivors and found that the more exercise they did, the less risk they faced of dying from heart disease - up to a point.
Benefits began to decline among those who ran more than 48km a week.
Among walkers, the turning point, when benefits were lost, was seen in those who did more than 74km a week, or 10.4km a day.
Even more, there was a statistically significant cardiovascular risk associated with the highest levels of exercise, said the study led by Paul Williams of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Paul Thompson of the Department of Cardiology at Hartford Hospital.
"Results suggest that the benefits of running or walking do not accrue indefinitely and that above some level, perhaps 30 miles per week of running, there is a significant increase in risk," the study said. Thirty miles is equal to about 48km.
"Competitive running events also appear to increase the risk of an acute event."
The researchers cautioned that since their study focused on heart attack survivors, their results might not be generalisable to the population at large.
Experts generally recommend two and a half hours of moderate exercise each week, or 75 minutes weekly of vigorous exercise for a healthy heart and body.
"For patients with heart disease, almost all should be exercising, and generally most should be exercising 30-40 minutes most days," said Carl Lavie, a cardiologist at the John Ochsner Heart and Vascular Institute in New Orleans.
"But from a health stand-point, there is no reason to exercise much longer than that and especially not more than 60 minutes on most days."
The research was published in the peer-reviewed journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings.

- See more at: How much exercise is too much? More than 6.4km a day for runners, study shows

I'm thinking there is about a .00001% chance of anyone on this forum running that much (consistently) :p

There is 0.000000000001% chance of me even thinking about running that much........once!

Seems pretty obvious to me. Everything in moderation, especially if you have an existing heart condition lol

I'd die from boredom, knees will explode, and my heart turn inside out if I ran that much every day.. in that order.

Should be pretty clear that rest days are essential. Doubtful there was many of the 2400 participants running 48k a week in order to get a reliable stat. To be fair I only read what was posted..

A couple of weeks ago there was a triathlon in Townsville, one competitor was pulled dead from the swimming part, dead from a heart attack

No he came dead haha

Someone posted up a great youtube recently about people dying from too much exercise, how it hardens the arteries and micro scarring etc... it was a big eye opener.