• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Extending wifi

Bazza20

Question for the computer experts here. Is it possible to extend the wifi from my house to a couple of sheds roughly 200-250 meters from my house?

You can get a repeater but I don't think they'll go that far. May have to go point to point or run an Ethernet cable to another router. I'm sure some of the tech gurus will have more of an idea than me though

Might need to run a cable. 250m is to far. I lose mine after about 50m

Most that I read say their is a limit to Ethernet cable. 100m or something

I am looking at options to boost the signal. I know there is no way standard wifi will work. It doesn't even do my house.

Most that I read say their is a limit to Ethernet cable. 100m or something

I am looking at options to boost the signal. I know there is no way standard wifi will work. It doesn't even do my house.
I've run cat5 for fucking miles, literally when I did work at an army base the biggest continuous run was 5k, wasn't aware there was any kind of limit to the effectiveness of fibre.

Get a drum and trench a conduit, couple hundred metres is nothing. I'm doing a 15 storey at the moment and using cat5 run over the full height if the building and spidered out to ea unit no problem.

I've run cat5 for fucking miles, literally when I did work at an army base the biggest continuous run was 5k, wasn't aware there was any kind of limit to the effectiveness of fibre.

Get a drum and trench a conduit, couple hundred metres is nothing. I'm doing a 15 storey at the moment and using cat5 run over the full height if the building and spidered out to ea unit no problem.

I'll read it again but my google searches of computer nerd stuff was saying cat 5 was limited to 100m or so before you lost too much powder. I know nothing about it. Just going on what I read.

This is what I read. Not saying its right. Just what I found.

Signal loss is referred to as Attenuation.

Cat 5 is 285 feet.
Cat 6 will go to around 700 feet or something of that length. The longest I've run of Cat 6 is 630 feet.

The longer the cable, the longer it takes for the data to get there. (its a joke)

Most of the time in your home, you can get away with Cat 5. If you start pushing 250 feet, you may want to move on to Cat 6. 6 is slowly replacing 5 right now and you might as well spend the extra penny to go with it.

cat5 isnt fibre optics genius

What the fuck would I know I don't specify the shit, I just watch the cünts install it. All the sparkies call the cat stuff fibre, maybe it's not.

maybe you need fibre optic baz, I'll ask a comms sparky on Monday if you want. Otherwise @eltesticl; [MENTION=11621]taurus[/MENTION]; [MENTION=10409]Dicko[/MENTION]; might know a bit about comms, most sparkies know the basics. [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; aren't you an nbn guru?

I do quite a lot of data cabling with work. No point using cat6 if your modem/hub is cat5 ready, it will only work at cat5 speed.
Cat5 isn't fiber, it's copper wire twisted together, fiber is glass.
Also cat5 does have a limit before it slows down. With all the testers we use, it fails if over 96m. I've run longer, it will still work, but you may find it a tiny bit slower. For domestic use it's ok, it's not like your running the New York stock exchange. It'll be fine.

Last edited:
There are a few options but which one is best depends on what equipment/skills you have available.

For my shed I am using power over Ethernet to an access point using the same ssid on a different channel so my phone etc just switches over.

Ethernet might work over 250m but you would want to test it out before you start on a trench. The general rule for cat5e is 100m but after that it is likely to work with lower performance. I believe Cat6 is basically the same but has been tested to a higher standard so if the price is the same I would use that. I've been told there are specific crimpers etc for cat6 but I've never needed top performance for anything at home and just use what I have.

Another option is a point to point WiFi link using directional antennas. A couple of cheap APs with dd-wrt on and a yagi each should do the trick provided you have good line of sight. Then an ap in the shed for your devices to connect to.