• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The truth about your painkillers: Is Panadol Rapid actually rapid?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
[h=1]The truth about your painkillers: Is Panadol Rapid actually rapid?[/h]http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/the-truth-about-your-painkillers-is-panadol-rapid-actually-rapid/story-fneuzlbd-1226951299215

• 3 hours ago June 12, 2014 6:11AM

295391-18ef62b8-f124-11e3-94a8-09c2117d0a9e.jpg

GlaxoSmithKline say it’s twice as fast. Picture: Supplied Source: Supplied

AUSTRALIANS are paying up to five times more for painkillers with flashy names when they contain virtually the same ingredients as typical drugs.

That’s the claim made by consumer watchdog Choice, who say Aussies are forking out too much for premium versions of Panadol and Nurofen.
“The fast and flashy names such as Zavance, Panadol Rapid and Optizorb dress up paracetamol and ibuprofen to get you to pay up to five times more for effectively the same product,” spokesman Tom Godfrey said.

295417-a1dd0404-f124-11e3-94a8-09c2117d0a9e.jpg

This is fast and flashy, too. Picture: Panadol ad Source: NewsComAu

The consumer group pointed to two different medications, Panadol Osteo and Panadol Back and Neck Long Lasting brands.
The painkillers contain virtually the same ingredients — but Panadol Back and Neck is up to four times more expensive.
A spokeswoman for GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), who own Panadol, said the prices are different because Panadol Osteo is listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and Panadol Back and Neck is not.
Choice said it purchased the Osteo medication over the counter without prescription.
ARE ‘RAPID’ PAINKILLERS ACTUALLY FASTER?

295443-07b03058-f125-11e3-94a8-09c2117d0a9e.jpg

Dissolved. Picture: Thinkstock Source: ThinkStock

Associate Professor Greg Kyle from the University of Canberra said drugs can be tweaked for quicker absorption. But it doesn’t make a big difference.“It doesn’t make a huge amount of difference at a clinical level,” Mr Kyle told news.com.au.
Choice says you shouldn’t be fooled. Most painkillers can be absorbed within 15 to 30 minutes.
The major factor that affects how long it takes for a painkiller to kick in is whether or not you have eaten.
GSK said Panadol Rapid can be absorbed twice as fast as a regular Panadol because of a special formulation including sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).
The spokeswoman said Panadol with Optizorb also absorbs faster because of a unique combination of ingredients.
Reckitt Benckiser, the parent company of Nurofen, was approached for comment.
CAN PAINKILLERS ‘TARGET’ PART OF YOUR BODY?
Mr Godfrey said claims that some medicines can target particular parts of your body for, say, a headache or period pain, are hard to swallow.
Pharmaceutical expert Greg Kyle agreed. He said painkillers claiming to directly target headache, back or period pain are a “heap of garbage”.
“There’s no specific road map the drug follows,” Mr Kyle said. “It’s a molecule. It’s not an intelligent life entity.”
Drugs get absorbed into your bloodstream and travel through your entire circulatory system acting where they needed.
GSK said it has never claimed Panadol could target particular types of pain. Reckitt Benckiser did not respond to comment by deadline.
Greg Turnbull from the Pharmacy Guild of Australia said consumers should consult their pharmacists if they are unsure about a medication.

I only buy the Homebrand 79c paracetamol. I can't be bothered with Zavance and Rapid and similar.

every so often chemist warehouse has painkillers at 89cents a packet , so i stock up , they say limit of 3per a customer, but just keep going back till you get the amount you want

I only buy the Homebrand 79c paracetamol. I can't be bothered with Zavance and Rapid and similar.

I do this.

If you can be bothered you can also order online. Like 500 generic brand panadol for around $10.

Im prone to severe migraines and the only thing that gets rid of the pain is nurofen plus. I may have to try some el cheapo crap, see if it works.

Im prone to severe migraines and the only thing that gets rid of the pain is nurofen plus. I may have to try some el cheapo crap, see if it works.

Nurofen plus also has codeine in it so you would have to have something with equivalent active ingredients.

Ive never had panadol help much for anything. It seems very mild.

Codeine based stuff (panadeine extra, mercyndol) have helped me with bad colds and other things. Pity you can't take that many over X hours.

You could always snort it if you're looking for faster absorption.
Hahaha that got me laughing my man :D!. But on a serious note, would it actually work, or do those "hard" drugs that some people snort dissolve differently based on the make up of their powder? I myself am clueless!

Fadi.

Hahaha that got me laughing my man :D!. But on a serious note, would it actually work, or do those "hard" drugs that some people snort dissolve differently based on the make up of their powder? I myself am clueless!

Fadi.

No, still works when ingested, jus quicker through the respiratory system.

BTW, since GSK is mentioned, I know the HR manager chick there, she is smoking.

Remember that nurophin plus, with codeine, is addictive as its a form of morphine. It will also do nasty things to your stomach and kidneys if used daily. Used now and then, it does a great job of pain control plus does a bit of anti-inflammatory work. Panadol forte (prescription med) plus a double shot of coffee = the world's best preworkout, but not a healthy habit to form.

CAN PAINKILLERS ‘TARGET’ PART OF YOUR BODY?
Mr Godfrey said claims that some medicines can target particular parts of your body for, say, a headache or period pain, are hard to swallow.
Pharmaceutical expert Greg Kyle agreed. He said painkillers claiming to directly target headache, back or period pain are a “heap of garbage”.
“There’s no specific road map the drug follows,” Mr Kyle said. “It’s a molecule. It’s not an intelligent life entity.”
Drugs get absorbed into your bloodstream and travel through your entire circulatory system acting where they needed.
I think the term is "systemic". You take in a medication, either injected, orally or, cough, "up the clacker" or whatever. It only works once it circulates around the body. This is the same as steroids. You get guys injecting in the shoulders, legs, biceps, triceps, etc, thinking that it will make that bodypart bigger. Aside from inflammation, it doesn't. That's not how the body works. Synthol, obviously yes. If you were to turn a painkiller into a liquid form and inject it into a sore muscle, it will only work once it runs through the body. Broscience at its best.

I just get a box of 100 of panamax for 4 bucks, its good.

I do take some codine based iburpfins when i have pulled a muscle though (and 2 panamax), seems to work just as well as anti-inflammatories