• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The 10,000 steps a day thread

Fadi

In this thread, I am not asking for a challenge of how fast you can walk 10,000 steps no.The challenge that was based on a time factor was in a thread challenging you on the completion of 100 burpees.

This thread is concerned with health and prevention of disease according to the doctors in the know. Here, I’m simply aiming to get you to move more (as we were designed to do). We’re living in an era where sitting has become the new smoking. Most of us have a sedentary job that calls for us to not only sit for long hours at a time, but we do it whilst our eyes and brains are subjected to something we were not designed to be subjected to for hours on end. Our eyes are not meant to remain focused at one particular distance for long periods of time (as is the case when working on a computer).

10,000 steps are equivalent to a distance of approximately 7.5km; certainly nothing to sneeze at you would agree. It will take you between 1 hour & 20 to 1 hour & 30 minutes to complete. Resistance training is also one of the best activities your body can be subjected to. As a good friend of mine who is an orthopaedic surgeon likes to put it: we get old because we lose muscle mass, we don’t lose muscle mass because we get old.

We’re told many good things will happen to us, things such as reducing our chances of having a first heart attack by 90%; reducing our risk of strokes by 70%, reducing our risk of diabetes by 50%. And also reducing our chances of acquiring three most common forms of cancer, namely breast, prostate, and colon cancer by/between 33-70%.

From a psychological point of view, we all agree on the fact that we always feel better after a good workout (with weights), or going for a walk. I say nothing fixes a short temper like a long walk!

For your information, today (before work), I walked 10,090 steps in 01:24:32. I have downloaded a free app called runtastic pedometer. I found it to be most accurate. Just place your phone in your pocket and way you go…

Getting back to this “challenge”. This is not about how fast, even though we don’t particularly go on a stroll, and it’s not what you may call an extreme brisk walk. It’s an in-between kind of a speed. You won’t be huffing and puffing but your clothes would certainly be drenched with perspiration and you will feel great all over. If you find 10,000 steps a bit too much for you to begin with, then aim for 2000 and work up. This isn’t a short term activity that I’m asking you to include in your daily activities no; this is a life time activity, something that would be part of your lifestyle. Are you interested?

Okay, I must admit I’m not as nice as those doctors recommending the 10,000 steps walk are. They are lenient enough to allow you to accumulate 10,000 steps throughout the day, or break the 10,000 into two halves. Sorry, I’m not as generous, especially when I know my readers here on this forum are all fit people. However I say this, everyone gets a chance to work up to 10,000 steps before we include his or her name at the top of this thread (as I’ve done with the 100 burpees challenge thread). Once we have enough people from a particular state, we could then arrange to meet and join in for a walk-together day. Again I ask, is anyone here interested …………., in a solid dose of that wonderful feel good neurotransmitter we call dopamine; a reduction in cortisol levels (where most stressful activities tend to increase it), and an increase in cell sensitivity to insulin (instead of being insulin resistant)?

I thank you for reading.

Fadi.

Last edited:
used to clock up 14kms something like 17thousand steps every night at work , which included alot of stair runs ,before i put the pedometer on i could never work out why i was so tired after work , after all it wasn't like i was doing much (or so i thought) so one night out of boredom it was a slow work night i decided to shove a pedometer app onto my phone , even on a slow night i was amazed at how many steps i accumalated

the next night when work was full steam ahead that is when the counter just kept on going and going

That's awesome Graeme. Were your steps done over a one time period or spread throughout your shift?
I say that whatever we do on top of this 10,000 steps (like walking and stopping here and there), would be considered as icing on the cake.

Fadi.