• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Have you done the Tough Mudder or something like it

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Have you done the Tough Mudder? What was the experience like?
what training helped you?
any else you want to share about your experience

Done 3 tough mudders and this year will be doing saturday and sunday together.

Training was mostly the same more focus on compounds and adding a few other interesting exercises in there too like a version of tyre flips, rope climbs, medicine ball throws.

In saying this absolutely nothing can prepare you for the artic enema lol.

I know taurus has done a TM or two aswell.

I've done 10km stampede which is very similar.

I didn't train for it at all. I continued with my regular powerbuilding style training and also did some KB stuff and mma from time to time for cardio. Wasn't too tough.

I have done tough murder, stampede, warrior dash and kokoda grunt.

Murder was by far the hardest so much mud it just fried your legs

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did last years Tough Mudder and am training for this years in August.

I'm not the strongest bloke going around and did the event at 104kg last year and managed all the obstacles without a problem. The running killed me the most. I was able to do a 12km run a week before the event but on the day my legs had trouble carrying me after that same distance.

This year I am mostly focussed on running and hills, being able to do some pullups and sticking to Bas Ruttens 'All round workout' which I did last year which seemed to be perfect.

Last year it was just me and a mate doing it, this year we have a team of 14 and I already know there will be some strugglers so the pace will be slower.

Have 4 weeks left and have just received some nice shin splints. Any tips on how to get through this knowing it is pretty critical to keep my fitness up. I was running 10k's and had to really work upto that since I hate running.

Have 4 weeks left and have just received some nice shin splints. Any tips on how to get through this knowing it is pretty critical to keep my fitness up. I was running 10k's and had to really work upto that since I hate running.
How long ago were you running 10ks? I wouldn't be too worried about it. I could hardly run 5 when ive done mine lol.

Was only Monday. I did TM last year and I suffered leg burnout more than fitness so was hoping to be able to improve endurance. A bike would probably help for a week.

Did it and loved it! I run often but never really more than 8k's but the course being about 20k's wasn't an issue at all. You never really run more than 3-5k's at a time before another obstacle. I never do pullups, which was an issue for me. 2 of the guys on my team rock climb regularly, and their finger and hand strength definitely helped in more than 50% of the obstacles. I have small hands so I could only make it halfway through the monkey bars-- not having shoulder/arm strength from pullups made it the issue, but if you regularly are used to pull up bars and you can hold yourself at a 90 degree angle, then you should be fine. It's seriously a lot of fun, and my team was equal parts serious and fun about it. We wanted to make it through in a good time, but enjoyed every moment of it, laughing and having fun through all the insane and super muddy parts.

Did it and loved it! I run often but never really more than 8k's but the course being about 20k's wasn't an issue at all. You never really run more than 3-5k's at a time before another obstacle. I never do pullups, which was an issue for me. 2 of the guys on my team rock climb regularly, and their finger and hand strength definitely helped in more than 50% of the obstacles. I have small hands so I could only make it halfway through the monkey bars-- not having shoulder/arm strength from pullups made it the issue, but if you regularly are used to pull up bars and you can hold yourself at a 90 degree angle, then you should be fine. It's seriously a lot of fun, and my team was equal parts serious and fun about it. We wanted to make it through in a good time, but enjoyed every moment of it, laughing and having fun through all the insane and super muddy parts.

When did you do it last? I've got mine next week on the Sunny Coast.
Couple of new obstacles this year which I think I'm certain to fail. I succeeded on every obstacle last year but this year they have replaced Funky Monkey (monkey bars) with Hangin Tough (rings) where you have to swing from one ring to the next and also leap of faith, take a run, jump over water and try and catch the net.

I badly want to do it, but none of my mates are interested and it's no fun doing it by yourself. How about an AussBB team for the next tough mudder?

When did you do it last? I've got mine next week on the Sunny Coast.
Couple of new obstacles this year which I think I'm certain to fail. I succeeded on every obstacle last year but this year they have replaced Funky Monkey (monkey bars) with Hangin Tough (rings) where you have to swing from one ring to the next and also leap of faith, take a run, jump over water and try and catch the net.

Sounds like they've been watching American ninja warrior for inspiration on that obstacle!!
I did the hanging tough (ring swings) at tough bloke or raw challenge, not hard at all, you'll be right!

So doing TM this Saturday on the Sunny Coast but it's going to be anything but Sunny. Lots of rain predicted which is alright but looking at a temperature of around 12 degrees in the morning (feels like 8 apparently). Add to that we'll be constantly wet, with obvious ice and water thrown in, would it be worthwhile wearing a skins compression top underneath our shirts. We have team shirts made up which are dri fit but wondering if it would be worth wearing something underneath?

So doing TM this Saturday on the Sunny Coast but it's going to be anything but Sunny. Lots of rain predicted which is alright but looking at a temperature of around 12 degrees in the morning (feels like 8 apparently). Add to that we'll be constantly wet, with obvious ice and water thrown in, would it be worthwhile wearing a skins compression top underneath our shirts. We have team shirts made up which are dri fit but wondering if it would be worth wearing something underneath?
I always have under Armour compression shorts and a top underneath. I've always wanted to do a TM in the rain haha. Doesn't the one at sunshine coast go out into the ocean and back in?

I always have under Armour compression shorts and a top underneath. I've always wanted to do a TM in the rain haha. Doesn't the one at sunshine coast go out into the ocean and back in?

That would be cool if it did lol. Be warmer in the ocean. This one is made on a huge peice of vacant farmland. Very open and flat.
I have some compression pants that I wore last year and was just checking out the Under Armour stuff. Now I'm getting confused, they have coldgear and heatgear. I can only find heatgear at a retail shop at the moment, dunno if that would be sufficient or if it really matters?

haven't done any of them, doesn't really interest me in paying good coin to go over a few obstacles and get muddy?

haven't done any of them, doesn't really interest me in paying good coin to go over a few obstacles and get muddy?
It's more a satisfaction thing. When I tell people I've run 20kms through mud and pretty hairy obstacles their jaw drops. Alot can't even comprehend the 20km part. Best feeling running across the finish line though.