• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Should childless people be taxed to help families?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
ARE childless Australians community-spirited enough to pay more taxes to enable people with kids to be taxed less, to help support them as they raise the next generation of taxpayers to keep the country going? It is a controversial proposal, floated today in the US by one childless columnist who was raised by two extremely hardworking middle class parents who battled—as many Australian families do—to cover family costs.
To foster a fairer society and give those who are producing kids a little less excruciating financial pressure, he suggests that child-free people earning more than the median household income (in Australia $57,400 in 2011) should be taxed more heavily, and families should pay around $5000 a year less.
“As a childless professional in my mid-30s, I often reflect on the sacrifices working parents make to better the lives of their children. And I have come to the reluctant conclusion that I ought to pay much higher taxes so that working parents can pay much lower taxes,” writes conservative columnist and political commentator Reihan Salam in the journal Slate.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/should-childless-people-be-taxed-to-help-families/story-fnet085v-1226872378685

bad enough that the single person with nod kids gets ripped off as it is , now this nut wants to tax the single person more , thank fuck this in the US

single people already get less benefits than families. That is why Family tax benefit exists.

Spot on Bazza, what a fucking ridiculous idea. All you have to do is walk into any low income area and look at all the 16 year old kids pushing prams to see why this is a bad idea.

Meanwhile the single person, with a good head on their shoulders who's trying to have a go in life pays through the nose for it. Stupid kunce.

More taxes, just what we need, if i want to build my career before family, i shouldn't be punished, already pay ~40% of my wages into tax as it is!

So the people trying to get setup to start a family get taxed more than those who rush into it?

With the baby bonus etc we ended up having stupid people outbreed smart people more than before, not the way it should be. I remember seeing something about a group paying drug addicts to be sterilised, that sounds like a better plan...

never seems to amaze me these governmenta come up with new ways of taxing us, as someone said it sounds like communisim, the government should just take all the money we earn and in return we can food stamps and maybe a little something baxk to spend on what we actually want....

People will always be under financial pressure no matter how much help you give them because they will spend every cent that they have left after necessities. Increasing support for families would only drive up dwelling costs (rent or buy) because they would all get a bigger house with bedrooms that they don't even use, if they had cash left over. Taxing childless people so that families can waste it does not sound like good policy to me.

Stupid idea.

Hell, nobody gave a toss about helping me while I took time to help care for my father over recent years and lost a considerable amount of income by doing so, with no assistance at all.

I would do it all over again a million times, but I don't see why people having kids is in such a special category.
If you cannot afford them, think twice before you have them.

This planet is already overflowing with stupid humans.

Taxes will never be truly fair because everyone has different views on what is fair. It's always been easier to go after people who have a higher capacity to pay.

Now for people who think that the well off do nothing take this quote

In 2007–08, the 16 per cent of taxpayers on more than $75,000 accounted for 55 per cent of personal income tax revenue, with almost half of that coming from the three per cent of taxpayers with taxable income over $150,000.

These percentage go up if you take into account government benefits paid to lower income earners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we are the same person, Vivianne :p.

Except for the feelings.

Lol I'm just in full grumpy cat mode because Thursday is not deadlift day anymore
There is no deadlift day
Just another bench day

So ranting is on lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk