• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Snickers Ad Manages to Be Sexist to Both Men and Women

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member

[h=2]he ad both breaks and reinforces gender stereotypes[/h] In this ad produced by Snickers in Australia, watch actors as construction workers shout empowering statements to women who are walking down the street. Remarks include, “You want to hear a filthy word? Gender bias!” and “You know what I’d like to see? A society in which the objectification of women makes way for gender-neutral interactions, free from assumptions and expectations. You go girl!”
That said, the ad still depicts the stereotype of construction workers shouting at women:

“On the one hand, the women in the advertisement are naive props shocked that men would ever treat them with respect. On the other, the men are portrayed as presumably idiotic, disgusting and flat-out predatorial in their natural state. In the world that Snickers Australia envisions, it seems like whether you’re a man or a woman, it pretty much sucks to be you.”
In addition, the “You’re not yourself when you’re hungry” tagline at the end of the commercial has an offensive message about class, Ad Week argues: “By saying blue-collar guys ‘aren’t themselves’ when they’re being polite, it pretty clearly implies they’re otherwise a bunch of misogynistic boors.”
As one YouTube commenter jokingly summed up the spot, “If this is the way men act when they’re hungry I will never feed them again.”

Snickers Australia Ad Construction Workers Empower Women - TIME

wow... someone put way too much thought in to what it means.

I just feel like chocolate now

It was good for a chuckle. Political correctness and the do gooders who bang on about it need to get over it.

Judgement based on stereotypes is as old as people and will never go away. If you look like a meth head and have a kitchen knife in your hand I'm not starting a conversation with you to see what you're really like.