• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

home gym users - how often do you do it?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
anyone use theirs more than they would a gym?

does a home gym lead to overkill, resulting in lack of motivation?

I bought my gear because the only local gym is the PCYC and it sucks. Plus its only open mon-fri with restricted hours.

Having the equipment hasn't stopped me having months off, it doesn't fix my lack of motivation. It's handy when I'm short of time because its a 20m walk, no waiting for other people and no dress code. Plus I pick the tunes.

I can also lift when I'm at home with the kids, though they're not always great training partners.

If the wife is out of action and the kids are at home it's my only choice.

Luckily I'm hard wired not to miss training sessions so it's a non issue regardless of environment.

I don't find my motivation in the layout, location, ambience or need for affilaiation.

A Barbell and spite is all that is needed.

I use my home gym every day. I like to think outside the square & get great workouts in every time. Ill never get sick of it & the motivation to make it work, is that I'd have to train at a public gym if this doesnt work out... lol

I couldn't imagine going to a gym and having to wait to use machines or sharing them. I love being able to train when I want, load my weights, leave them on there for next time. Have as many rests as I want, stay using my rack as long as I want, swap between machines without worrying about someone stealing one.

The only thing appealing to me about a commercial gym is the variety of machines.

I couldn't imagine going to a gym and having to wait to use machines or sharing them. I love being able to train when I want, load my weights, leave them on there for next time. Have as many rests as I want, stay using my rack as long as I want, swap between machines without worrying about someone stealing one.

The only thing appealing to me about a commercial gym is the variety of machines.

Yep also can play whatever music you want, no one will be offended if you train without a shirt, and you can set up your whole workout and know no-one will be using any of it.

I use mine ~5-6 days a week.
But i also try to get to the PL gym once a week though for the atmosphere.

I could NEVER train as frequently as i do without it.

Absolutely love having my own equipment. Only problem I have is needing a bit more room and wanting to buy more stuff.
Really can't imagine going back to a gym environment and having to put up with others

I don't have a proper set up to allow BB squats, bench and deadlifts but I have enough stuff to do free weights, KBs, rings and other stuff. use it 2 x week for KB training and maybe once per week for an assistance workout if I can't make it to the gym that day.

I just can't be arsed going to the gym. It's too hard to work to a particular routine in a reasonable amount of time. Always gotta wait for equipment, always weirdos in the changerooms. I just prefer to do it at home, whether on my own or with a mate.

It's great when I'm on my own, I don't need to get a set of clothes dirty... just work out in my jocks. Not a pretty sight.

I'd never go to an actual gym, so home gym for me is fantastic.

Can set the temperature how I like it, music I like, sweat on everything, and there's only one dickhead to deal with (i.e me).

+1 for training in undies only

I just can't be arsed going to the gym. It's too hard to work to a particular routine in a reasonable amount of time. Always gotta wait for equipment, always weirdos in the changerooms. I just prefer to do it at home, whether on my own or with a mate.

It's great when I'm on my own, I don't need to get a set of clothes dirty... just work out in my jocks. Not a pretty sight.

Sometimes when I am lifting I get licked by dogs, pecked by chickens or squirted in the face with a vinegar filled water pistol.

Have only gone to a commercial gym once (on hols).
Home gym gets used by myself, my son and my wife everyday of the week except Sunday (day of rest).
I can bang out my songs as loud as I want, and yell brouhahah at P.B's (until my neighbour gently reminds me how loud it gets) with just shorts on at my convenience
I have a power rack, leg press, leg extension and lat machine plus all my free weights plus I gt to spend time with wife and oldest boy in a shared gym. Doesn't get better.

4-5 tiems per week at 1-1.5 hours per session. I find it far better than a commercial gym, I can grunt, swear, listen to whatever music I like and go shirtless if I want.

Last edited: