• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is CrossFit Saving Weightlifitng

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Is the CrossFit Games saving the Sport of Olympic Weightlifting from becoming a vanishing relic of a golden past?

No it isn't saving it, I don't think it needed saving, but it is breathing life into it. There are more people performing the Olympic lifts today then ever before.

Personally I think the sport needs to change, it's boring and needs to be more exciting

it may certainly help create more interest in the sport. If more people are doing such lifts, it seems logical that more will be interested in the sport at the highest level.

In the ACT, a couple of crossfitters are now amongst the best weightlifters.

Yes it has improved "weightlifting" participation. AWF probably has greater membership than all the powerlifting feds combined with more than 1600 members. The cross fitters who want to compete in sanctioned novice events and receive formal training sign up as members. It is a strong organisation whose members are all signatory to ASADA protocol (- PL rabble out there take note!)

Most of the cross fitters will be taught how to execute the movement properly once and then proceed to unlearn it with 100 rep snatches and stuff that is only going to end in hurt. I don't think many people in WL really care, and indeed if weightlifting membership in Australia survives or improves because of cross fit then let the muppets do what muppets need to do.

In terms of serious weightlifting, no crossfit has probably not arrested the decline. There are not that many A grade and even fewer international grade lifters in Australia and we barely get a look in for the Commonwealth Games.

yes, I think only one person now lifts more than 200kg clean and jerk in Australia, and he weighs a lot.

yes, I think only one person now lifts more than 200kg clean and jerk in Australia, and he weighs a lot.

I saw a clip of Russian snatching 200kgs off blocks the other day, and he weighs a little...we are a long way behind in this sport.

I dunno if any of you have seen American Weightlifting, but there is a bit in that where they say if you take a collage footballer who has the potential to become a great weightlifter and say "You can play football, make millions of dollars, or, you can come do weightlifting for no money, no fame and be one of the best in country" which one do you think the kid will choose?

It is what it is unfortunately

But in a measured way. Too much bullshit and swagger could also be harmful. Remember what Murdoch and Super League did to Rugby League.

For sure, but it needs something. If they can make other bullshit dull sports exciting surely they can do the same with this

yes, I was going to say that too. I trained with sav rocca when he was a kid.

Easy choice for him, champion thrower or champion footballer.

There is a lot of talent here for strength sports, but also four footy codes (three of them power sports).

Weightifting is nowhere near a "relic of the past", it's just that the Western world fucking sucks at it and like all Westerners they like to bury their heads in the sand about it instead of actually doing something productive

Weightifting is nowhere near a "relic of the past", it's just that the Western world fucking sucks at it and like all Westerners they like to bury their heads in the sand about it instead of actually doing something productive

Like what 0ni, what are they not already doing that they could do better? And how are they exactly burying their heads in the sand?